What's new

The NEW Anthem AVM-20 Thread (1 Viewer)

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
If the B&K's Ref30 IS also suffering from motorolas problems with their DPLII ,HOW similar in performance IS this unit(/will it be) to the Anthem ?

ClaudeD

Grip
Evan, thanks for your reply. If you can find the reference in the owner's manual, I'd be considerably reassured. I e-mailed tech support at Anthem, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

I'm still not sure that I'm going to go forward with this (i.e., the Casanova is a fine unit, and other than 5.1 inputs, it does everything I want). However, I'm chomping at the bit to do DVD-A and SACD, and I want it digitized (Theta offers an analog bypass option).

All the best,

Claude

keith fox

Agent
Alex Yang - RE: MCA50 vs PVA7 - I didn't have the PVA7 and MCA50 at the same time so I couldn't do any comparison. I had to return the PVA7 so the dealer would give me my MCA 50 :)
Anyway - I would say the differences were subtle but the MCA50 definitely gets the nod, the extra power is noticeable. Also the MCA50 is much better built so should be more reliable, has better parts so should sound better, as well it has balanced outputs which may or may not matter to you - I am using them.
Ron Alcasid - re:input detection. I guess we could just ask them. Since you can have analogue DSP and analogue direct you would still have to choose one in case analogue was active. Also you would have to configure optical vs coax for digital, then set up some kind of priority in case the device outputs both digital and analogue at the same time - similar to how the AVM20 outputs both to the RCA and Balanced outputs at the same time. This would be a nice feature.
Keith

Mark Dubeau

Stunt Coordinator
Re: power of the PVA7.. I was a little worried at first and thought about trading up even before my order came in.. but I gotta tell ya, the AVM-20, PVA7, with my Paradigm Ref 100's, running 5-channel DVD-Audio Metallica makes my ears bleed. Even my power hungry friends were satisfied that it was damn loud..

..and Eagles - Hell Freezes Over in DTS puts you right in the middle of the concert. Crystal clear.. with every instrument right there in your living room..

gotta love it..

Daniel D D

Auditioning
Gentlemen,

I am looking to upgrade my pre/pro and have been following your post for some time know. Unfortunately the Anthem AVM 20 is out of my price range but I still like to see your opinions. My question is in regards I am not sure if I should purchase a used Anthem AVM 2 or possibly the Outlaw 950. I enjoy HT and 2 channel equally. I will be content with 5.1 or whatever I finally receive, just looking for the best platform and performance for the money. Appreciate any feedback that you may have.

Dan

W

Will

I am not sure if I should purchase a used Anthem AVM 2 or possibly the Outlaw 950.

Dan D D,

As I understand it the Anthem doesn't yet have DPL II. Another option for you to consider if you haven't already, is the new Rotel 1066 pre/pro, which has DPL II and retails for about $1500 but is being sold for less by some dealers. It's out now but it's still brand new so it is a little scarce. Hopefully it will be more widely available soon.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Dan, that is a very difficult question to answer. First off, if Anthem had a trade in deal similar to that of Klipsch with the Aragon Stage One (where you trade in a Soundstage + $2500 to get a Stage One), I would say it's a no-brainer YES. However, Anthem has no such program. With that said, I have heard people RAVE about the AVM-2, yet I have heard my share of complaints. I have heard it sounds nowhere near as good as the new AVM-20. I have also heard of reliability issues. In talking with dealers, the AVM-20 was COMPLETELY redesigned and basically is a brand new design (even though the outside of the two units look almost exactly the same). Every single component in the 20 is better than it's counterpart in the 2. But, like I said, I have heard some people close to me say they love the AVM-2. Ask Curtis Edwards about his experience with the 2. He loves it.

But, I do think the Outlaw will be a very good unit when it is released. I think they used high quality components in it's design and even though I won't be getting one, I don't think the Beta testers were on the take either like some people.

For me that would be an awfully tough question. I would try to see if you have an Anthem dealer close by that still has a AVM-2 hanging around that you can demo. You know you lose nothing by buying the Outlaw and returning it within 30 days if you don't like it, so given that deal I would be hard pressed to get the AVM-2 without giving it a full demo first.

Hope that helps.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
this unit even calibrates the CENTER channel speaker to equalize it's sound based on the SIZE of your TV set!!!!
Uh, this sounded an awful lot like snake oil to me. What in the heck could this mean in terms of calibration? Do they cross-mix some of the center channel into the left and right fronts? Or do they have some magical way of just directing sound to a fraction of the audio driver to localize the sound. *smirk*

So, I went over to the Sonic Frontiers site and DL'ed the manual and went right to Chapter 7. OK. It's just several EQ settings for the center channel that -- as little as I can tell -- they've arbitrarily attached to screen measurements as an identifier.

Looks to me like someone in the marketing department got hold of this one. I think it's hokey, others think it's hot. It doesn't impact the incredible feature set of this unit or its performance, whatever that performance quality may be (I haven't had the pleasure of hearing one yet); but this kind of stuff tends to make me take the unit less seriously -- for no rational reason at all, I admit.

Marketing. Sheesh. Why don't they just call a choice of EQ settings "A choice of EQ settings."?

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Bob L,
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
Marketing. Sheesh. Why don't they just call a choice of EQ settings "A choice of EQ settings."?
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
I think this is the classic case of Half empty glass or Half full glass!! :D
Seriously though, I wasn't "gushing" because of this feature "whatever" they want to call it, I was gushing at the mere fact that something as trivial as this was even included at all, basically marvelling at the attention to details SF/ANTHEM is putting into their product and for me, (IMHO) I feel completely opposite what you feel, I take it even MORE seriously now!
I auditioned a LOT of receivers and this is my first BABY steps into the pre/pro world... Looked seriously at the outlaw 950 and when I'm called by Outlaw when my ship arrives, I'll probably still take it out for the 30 day test drive... :), but between these two Pre/pros one unit stacks the deck with a plethora of customizable settings by user and the other offers new exciting settings (triple XO circuitry, but at the expense of others...)
So to re-iterate, I'm hooked, I'll take two bottles of snake oils please! :D
-Alex

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I auditioned a LOT of receivers and this is my first BABY steps into the pre/pro world...
Alex, that's a BIIIIIIIG baby!!!!!!! You're going to be one happy papa.
If my conscience and I could come to terms with the cost of the Anthem over the Outlaw, I'd be at my local Anthem dealer right now for a test drive. Browsing through the manual, the feature set on this "baby" is remarkable. As it is, the Anthem will shoot to first on my list if the Outlaw turns out not to be what I want after the trial period -- if and when that happens.... :rolleyes:In the meantime, I'm trying to maintain self-control by NOT checking it out beyond reading the Anthem manual (which has already been installed on my Palm Pilot.)
And just think, in a couple of months, "baby" will go to school and learn how to do DPL2. :) You're gonna be sooo happy, I bet.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Will, I'm sure somewhere in this thread, Evan had mentioned (or was that in the old thread?) that the estimated cost for the DTS/DPL2 upgrade would be about $300.

Bob

Okay I have a question,

I read in a magazine (Home Theater) that Anthem has a 7 channel amp coming out for a good price. like $1500 i think. What do their pre/pros run? I like the styling and name. From what I know they are pretty good.

Sorry for such a newbie post but i wanted to learn more about their pre/pros.

Rich

Mark Dubeau

Stunt Coordinator
Re: AVM-20 and DPL II..

Without starting a huge debate about the pros/cons of DPL II, just wanted to point out that I am very happy with the AVM 20, even without DPL II. The "all-channel stereo" mode has just a tiny bit of 3D processing to add a bit of depth to the sound when I've got folks over and tend to be moving around a lot, or watching a stereo movie on the satellite.

However, if I'm sitting in the sweet spot listening to CDs, two-channel stereo still has a huge soundstage, no processing required..

Don't get me wrong, I will upgrade when it comes out, and get all the other goodies that hopefully come along with it.. but don't over-estimate the value of DPL II.. The AVM-20 is an amazing package, even without it..

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,
Don't I repeat DON'T read the .pdf file... If you wind up LIKING and outlaw and it a good fit, DELETE the pdf file immediately don't pass go... I made that mistake and I haven't turned back!!! :D
But is is $$$$ more than outlaw, but I'm picky I want what the Anthem does and MORE, so that's why it's still a very VERY close 2nd choice right after the Davis Lab/Aargon but that may very well change once I get more INFO on both of these units...
Why NOBODY is posting ANY info on these pieces is driving me up the wall, much like Outlaw 950 was pre NDA release for BETA testers!!!!
Please somebody tell me the bad news about any of these two units so that I can pull the trigger on the Anthem!!!!
Integra is ruled out once I found out it has FIXED crossovers (can someone confirm and refute this please?)
************************************************** ***************************************
Rusty,
The $$$$ for DPL2 upgrade is for $300 around late March/Early April hardware (pending Motorola's release date of new DSP)... However, there is even a slight chance that a further delay and/or 2nd upgrade around summer time for Ultra 2 THX certification $$$$ (unknown)...
If I had a choice, I'd wait to get EVERYTHING late in summer/fall to include DPLII/DTS Neo/ DTS Ex 6.1/ and Ultra 2 THX...
-Alex

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Integra is ruled out once I found out it has FIXED crossovers (can someone confirm and refute this please?)
It's confirmed. Integra has been asked about this, and their response is along the lines of "THX says 80 Hz, so 80 Hz is what we give". They show no indication of changing this.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
C'mon Alex, I've been all over that Anthem unit.;)
But that's not going to deter me from checking out the 950 when it becomes available. I'll make my choice then which one to keep. I also like all of the other features of the Anthem unit (upgradability, simulcast, silver faceplate, individual delays, timer, etc.). But I also like the idea of half the price plus the triple crossover on the 950. I think we have enough testamonials that sound is outstanding in both units.
Mark, I agree. DPLII has had mixed reviews so far and if the all channel stereo is ok, then I can wait. I only have a 5.1 system and won't be using DTS-ES (6.1 format, right?). Like Alex, I'll probably upgrade to DPL/DTS-ES/Ultra II/etc. later this year and do all upgrades in one shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks