What's new

The NEW Anthem AVM-20 Thread (1 Viewer)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Evan,

#1 - Fixed for all "small" speakers is at least better than a single option (like 80Hz or 100Hz). I may find that 60Hz or 70Hz will work best in my system (although I intend to try most of them, time permitting!). I have also heard that multiple crossovers by front/center/surround/rear can cause some additional bass issues in a HT room beyond what is already present.

#2 - I was reading the online manual (after my post) and on page 24, section 5.6 entitled Individual Speaker Level, and it seems to indicate that the speaker levels are saved by sound MODE as follows: "The AVM 20 memorizes all speaker level settings for each of Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, DTS, Stereo (including Music Modes), and for the 6-Ch S/E input. This eliminates the need to constantly adjust individual speaker levels when changing different types of source material.". Is the manual wrong?

#3 - Great!

#4 - Not a problem, I was just curious. I may be running dual subwoofers and I am not sure whether I will set them up in stereo or with a single mono signal.

Thanks for the information!

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Brian,
"Can you fill us in on what you know or mean by this?"
I am not an expert on the subject. I based this on what I have read, most recently from Brian Florian and his review of the AVM-20. In addition, he mentions the idea of phase shifts and such like in the following AVS post, as an example. This is not the first time I have heard about issues regarding dissimilar crossovers among the speakers.
Michael

BruceD

Screenwriter
Michael,

Thanks for the link, here is the relavent parts:

The X-30 can also be an external stereo cross-over, but this is only of value if you have a separate power amp for the main speakers. If at some point you got a power amp, you could set mains to 'large', subwoofer to 'no', and use the X-30 as the cross-over for the main speakers (the center and surround would still use the Yamaha 90Hz). The ONLY reason to do this would be to cross over the main speakers lower (the X-30 gives you choices of 50Hz, 80Hz, and something over 100Hz).
This is all based on the Yamahas 90Hz xover for small speakers (center and surrounds) with mains as large.

Actually, I tend to disagree with his first quote and agree with his second quote.

My system is setup today based on his second quote and I don't have any phase shift problems or other nasties (I use a 60Hz electronic xover from mains to sub).

I couldn't find where he said a processor using different digital xover frequencies for front, center and surrounds caused phase shifts.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Bruce,
First off, sorry about calling you Brian. I was thinking about Mr. Florian's post and review when I wrote the response to you.
Secondly, I will reiterate that I am not an expert on the subject. In Link Removed he touches on the subject without going into further details. So, I suppose I should not have made my initial comments regarding dissimilar crossovers without the technical background necessary to make such statements. Consider it withdrawn.
If dissimilar crossovers are desired in one's system and an external crossover is out of the question, then I guess that the Anthem AVM-20 will not work for that person. That's a statement I can back based on pure fact.
Michael

keith fox

Agent
I have been using the AVM-20 since the beginning of January and a matching MCA 50 since the end of January. The dealer 'loaned' me a PVA7 in the interim, which I returned when the MCA 50 came in.

All in all I must say I am very happy with the combination.

A couple good examples. On the Jewel CD, "This Way" in the live song "Grey Matter" there are a few sections which were unlistenable at high-listenening levels on my car stereo or my old two channel setup. It was so muddy it was unbearable. The AVM 20/MCA 50 combination cleaned it right up and it sounds wonderful. I was most surprised by my old-two-channel systems' failure. I have often used it to listen to primarily female vocals and have always enjoyed it. This CD destroyed it!

There is a 'neat' function called simulcast I thought I would have no need for ... The idea is you might want to listen to your favorite radio announcer play-by-play a ball game while watching the video from the video input. I have recently signed up for digital cable. On the movie stations some of the movies are in 5.1 DD while other material is in DD 2.0. So here is the situation. All channels produce sound from the analogue outputs but the digital channels only produce digital sound through the digital output (Duh!). The problem lies that if I attach both the analogue and digital outputs to the same input (TV or Cable), then you would have to go into the setup to change to digital sound for movies (too dangerous and no way my wife is going to do this). So the solution was to connect the analogue outputs to "TV" and the digital outputs to "Cable". This means I get analogue sounds on all channels at all times (ie my wife doesn't ask - why is there no SOUND! on the movie channel), then if I want DD2.0/5.1 I simply simulcast the CBL (digital) sound while watching video from the TV input. Works like a charm and no need to go into setup.

--my-2-cents-

Lastly, those of you looking to 'bargain hunt/cheap out' and look for a MCA 5 instead of the newer, more expensive MCA 50, do yourselves a favour and checkout the newer model first. The MCA 50 is a much more robust design and is worth the extra money if yuo can afford it- you gets-way-you-pays-for.

There is much more to talk about these two pieces but I will simply say the sound is great, the fit and finish are equally great and I am very happy with the flexibility. I also appreciated the loaner amp from the dealer.

Keith

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
That's cool how you use the simulcast feature but it would be nicer if the AVM20 could detect which input is active. My Denon receiver switches automatically to the digital input when it is present otherwise it will fall back to the analog inputs. You can also manually choose which input to use from the remote. I wonder if Sonic Frontiers can implement this with a software upgrade?

Sankar

Second Unit
I have also heard that multiple crossovers by front/center/surround/rear can cause some additional bass issues in a HT room beyond what is already present.
I have heard this mentioned as well. However, I have not heard any reasonable explanation yet on this matter (of course this does not mean that one doesn't exist!), which makes me somewhat skeptical. If this were indeed true, then does this mean that were I to set the mains to "large" and the other speakers to "small" (in any receiver), I'd have problems? After all, this should be equivalent to setting the mains cutoff to 0Hz and the rest to 80Hz. This has to be "worse" than setting the main cutoff to, say, 40Hz. How come we've never heard of this then?
I would assume that this all depends on whether the crossover was applied before or after the time delay stage. For example, if your mains are much farther from you than the sub, then the processor would apply an appropriate delay to all the signals going to the sub after the crossover stage, and everything should be fine. On the other hand, if the crossover was being applied after the time delays have been applied (e.g if you were to use an external crossover like the X-30), then there would be no delay to those frequencies that are shunted to the sub (since the delay was applied earlier), and this may cause some complications.
Does this make sense?

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Keith Fox,
Thanks for the MCA50 endorsement!!! :D... I'm faced with this EXACT dilema NOW of which AMP to go with for the Anthem AVM20... Tell me was the sound between the PVA7 vs. the MCA50 a world of difference, NIGHT & Day, or was it a little more "subtle, or perhaps, something in between...?
My budget is SPACE limitation not so much as MONETARY (and NO I'm no Mr. Money bags...) but, a SINGLE 7 channel amp is much more appealing to me to having to purchase TWO Multichannel amps (MCA50 & MCA 20)
Thanks!
-Alex

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well, I have had an AVM-20 demo unit in our home for the past 6 hours. With the exception of a 45 minute break in the middle for dinner, we have been listening to music non-stop in plain ole' 2 channel stereo (bypass mode). When I sold our Lexicon MC-1 in early January, I had every intention of purchasing the Bryston SP1.7 when it was released at the end of this month. No more! We will be getting an AVM-20. While I am sure that the SP1.7 will be a wonderful processor, I would be hard pressed to answer how it would top the AVM-20 for sound quality within our system.
For the first time since we started down the music/HT path over two years ago, I honestly stopped listening critically to the music. Rather than trying to hear the details, imaging, etc., we found ourselves immersed in the music. Nothing in our system has changed in the last year and a half except for the processors (well, soon the subwoofer). The AVM-20 with the rest of our system allows us to enjoy the music.
For those curious, here's what was used in our 2 channel demo:
Anthem AVM-20
Marantz MA-700 monoblocks (x2)
Canton Ergo 92 DC
Audio Refinement CD Complete
Kimber Silver Streaks & 4TC (for the cable followers)
The rest of the audio system is as follows:
Marantz MA-700 monoblocks (x3 - center and surrounds)
Canton Ergo 92 DC - surrounds
Canton Ergo CM 51 - center
ACI Titans II LEs (x2 - arriving Tuesday!)
Onkyo Integra DPS-5 DVD player
Thanks for all of the posts about the AVM-20. I may have an opportunity to purchase the demo unit we are currently using at a decent discount (or so I have been told). If that happens, I should have our complete system up and running by this coming weekend. Maybe I will follow up with a more thorough review of the AVM-20 for those interested in it.
Michael

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Michael, my demo experience with this unit was exactly like which you speak. I loved it and am very excited about taking acquistion of mine within 10 days time. I look forward to a more complete review from you and I will be posting my thoughts here once I get my unit all set and running. Congrats!!!

J

John Morris

Okay, this is a really good dated unit, like the Reference 30, in that it uses the Motorola DSP and is still not apparently upgradable to Dolby Pro Logic II. So, if this DSP playback is favorable by you, you are either gonna pay $2200-2600 for the B&K Ref 30 OR $2500-3200 for the Anthem AVM-20 and then pay more in the future for the upgrade or simply by one of the newer pramp/processors with a Tuner and those desired playback formats for less....

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
John Morris,

I know there is a lot of history here on this forum, but why are you pissing on my parade? Have I ever made any negative comments about any audio product that you personally were interested in, or anyone else for that matter? Did I make some inaccurate, blatantly negative remarks regarding any audio component on this or any other audio forum that you are aware of? Or is our choice of the AVM-20 (if not the Bryston SP1.7) the equivalent of siding with the enemy in your eyes?

Did I say that the AVM-20 is the best processor out there, better than those costing much more? Not a chance, everyone's system and priorities are different. If we purchase an AVM-20, will it be the best choice for us? Maybe not, but if it satisfies our main concerns, then that should be all that matters. If you read my post, my wife and I have been doing this for over two years, so we haven't exactly jumped on the bandwagon.

Michael

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
Thanks for the wonderful review!! You were able to confirm what I originally though about this unit and I'm even more persuade to purchase this unit... :D
Unfortunately, I still have to decide if this is worth it for me because it is still lacking TWO important features to me:
1. Video Conversion
2. Digital Optical output
I personally like the idea of upgradability and judging from SF/Anthem's past this will NOT be an issue, especially at $300.00 for the upgrade...
Looks like you found the perfect unit... If only the Davis ONE was avaiable at the right $$$$, supposedly this week the "official" announcement will be made and I can probably get this PRE/PRO off of my wish list once the MSRP has been "cemented" in place... :D
Mike, I've re-read John's post and while not exactly a blaring endorsement for Anthem, it's not really a pissing contest either... It sounds as if he really REALLY doesn't like Anthem and that's ok for HIM. If you take the time to read IN BETWEEN the lines... :D
All he is really saying is that at a great price of $2200 ~ $2600 just like the older B&K REF30, you're buying a well made product who has been keeping up to date with upgrades via software and soon hardware at an incredibly cheap price of $300.00 (once Motorola irons out the bugs on their processor)
I choose life and I choose to view the glass half empty unlike John...
Don't let it too you, he really didn't say anything bad, he just stated his opinion... :)
-Alex

Rusty J.

Agent
I am pretty new here on HTF but I've been watching and reading for months, and all I see "merc" doing is exactly what other folks have been doing for all that time. He is whining about a manufacturer's mistruths as he sees them. To object to his posts is to also object to all those others from folks concerning the Outlaw delays. In fact, why didn't/don't you object to their complaints too?

He seems to be on the same side as the rest of you?

Personally, I am tired of all of your complaining.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Rusty, then what is your first post supposed to be doing other then exasperating an already "hot" subject..Thanks for the added fuel...

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Alex,

Thanks for the comments. I hate it that I have stepped into the middle of a forum war. It makes getting honest, reasonably unbiased information quite difficult. I guess I don't really understand where John is coming from with his opinions.

"Personally, I am tired of all of your complaining."

Personally, I am tired of the "two wrongs make a right" nonsense. You would like to think that some people are above this kind of wasted effort, but apparently not.

Michael

Rusty J.

Agent
Mr Tompkins,

Sorry for exasparating a hot topic. I hope that my post didn't offend you. I meant no harm. I've just thought that people liked when other people complained about some companies on this forum. I'm been lurking for months here, and it seems like I've been reading alot of complaints about products and some companies. Especially a company called Outlaw. Yet, it doesn't seem like those people ever owned or used an Outlaw product? I'm just trying to fit in? Once again, I'm sorry if I did something wrong by posting my opinion on this hot topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks