1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The mutant evolution of a DVD: "X-Men" 2 disc set coming!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Well-Known Member

Michael
    www.dvdfile.com is reporting what we all knew was coming, a 2 disc special edition of the eXcellent "X-Men" film from Bryan Singer. Here's the details;
    "With the big X-sequel X-Men 2 due to hit theaters next spring, Fox Home Entertainment will prime the pump on February 11th with the long-awaited new X-Men 1.5 Collector's Edition, a 2-disc re-release of the original Bryan Singer blockbuster.
    Disc one features a new Singer introduction to the theatrical version of the film (a long-planned new cut has been scrapped), no less than 24 deleted scenes, and an audio commentary by Singer and actors Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Hugh Jackman.
    Disc two features another intro from Singer, the featurettes "The Making Of X-Men: Part 1 (Origin Of The X-Men)", "Part 2 (The Uncanny Suspects)", "Part 3 (X-Factor)", "Part 4 (Shooting X-Men)" and "Part 5 (Remembering The X-Men)," and a gaggle of promo items including 3 trailers, 13 TV spots, 11 Internet interstitials, an "X-Men 2" teaser trailer and a short "Behind the Scenes of X-Men 2" special. Retail is $26.95."
    Where are the technical specs though? Will it be a dual widescreen/full screen release or just WS only? Will that DTS track be included? If Mr. Staddon pops in, please let us know.
    Anyway, I am SOOOOO buying this!

2. Paul_D

Paul_D Well-Known Member

Am I the only one bitterly disappointed that the new cut has been scrapped? My main complaint with the film was that it felt like it was lacking something substantial, and I'd hoped that a new cut would at least partially rectify that.

Regardless of the commentary and deleted scenes (which are enticing) I'll skip this release, and keep my original disc. They won't be able to improve on the picture/sound quality.

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

I will be getting the new dvd as I skipped the original release. 24 deleted scenes is quite a lot.
    Can't wait for this one
    [​IMG]

4. Bernhard

Bernhard Well-Known Member

I'll wait for the reviews but as it looks now, I will also keep my old DVD.

5. David Coleman

David Coleman Well-Known Member

Was really looking forward to a Director's Cut but since that has been scrapped, no mention of DTS I think i'll just keep the original.

6. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Well-Known Member

Michael
    Gosh, how can you pass up a commentary, ****24**** deleted scenes, multiple featurettes, etc????? This set sounds fantastic!

7. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Well-Known Member

X-Men SE will feature DTS sound !

From DVDFILE :

With the big X-sequel X-Men 2 due to hit theaters next spring, Fox Home Entertainment will prime the pump on February 11th with the long-awaited new X-Men 1.5 Collector's Edition, a 2-disc re-release of the original Bryan Singer blockbuster. Presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen only with Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks, the extras are plentiful. Disc one features a new Singer introduction to the theatrical version of the film (a long-planned new cut has been scrapped), no less than 24 deleted scenes, and an audio commentary by Singer and actors Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellan and Hugh Jackman. Disc two features another intro from Singer, the featurettes "The Making Of X-Men: Part 1 (Origin Of The X-Men)", "Part 2 (The Uncanny Suspects)", "Part 3 (X-Factor)", "Part 4 (Shooting X-Men)" and "Part 5 (Remembering The X-Men)," and a gaggle of promo items including 3 trailers, 13 TV spots, 11 Internet interstitials, an "X-Men 2" teaser trailer and a short "Behind the Scenes of X-Men 2" special. Retail is $26.95.

8. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Well-Known Member

All I care about for this release is:
    Please please PLEASE tell me they've fixed the worst line in action-movie history! PLEASE!!*
    [SIZE= 8pt](* Storm's extraordinarily bad delivery of the "Do you know what happens to a toad..." line)

[​IMG][/SIZE]

9. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Well-Known Member

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Well-Known Member

Much as the line is horrible, I'd hate to see it changed without a completely new cut of the film. If they are marketting this as the original cut, that's what it should be.

I'll be getting this release, but I'm sad to hear a new cut has been derailed. I wonder if it will never come to pass.

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Well-Known Member

I think I'll just keep the original DVD. For one thing, I got a used copy for $8 which already has KICKASS audio/video. Maybe I will give the new version a rent, but I think I will keep the "old" version.
    Just as a note to FOX (Peter can you hear me?), if they were to give, say, $5 off this release for owning the old release... I MIGHT pick it up [​IMG]

13. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Well-Known Member

I was hoping to be able to resist this one. The movie's good, but not great, and I've already got the 1 disc. But with both "Picard" and "James Whale/Richard III" on the commentary, I cannot resist.

14. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Well-Known Member

My original R1 copy has been gone for a year now in anticipation of this release. I, for one, can't wait for the deleted scenes (hopefully anamorphic this time) and the dts track.

15. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Well-Known Member

I can't get rid of my older version. I've got Stan Lee and Bryan Singer's scribbles on my case.[​IMG]

16. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Well-Known Member

Yep - I'll keep my copy too. The extras on the new one are nice but not enough to entice.

A new cut of the movie would.

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

[double post

18. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Well-Known Member

Count me in for the new disc. I only got the original for $9, so I'm not heartbroken.

19. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Well-Known Member

20. Ray H

Ray H Well-Known Member

Ray
    I passed on the original, so I'll be getting the SE, and by the way, 24 deleted scenes?!