What's new

The Munsters First Complete Season! (1 Viewer)

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
FINALLY the first season of this show is going to be released on DVD. That is so cool! I'm excited! I just hope they include the rare pilot with Happy Derman as Eddie, Joan Marshall as Pheobe Munster, and Edward Mallory as Jack!

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
:D As Herman would say, "Oh, goodie, goodie, goodie, goodie!"

There are only two other shows that could make me happier when they are officially announced and that would be Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. For some reason I never thought the Munsters would be released on DVD. And the cool thing is that we'll only have to buy two sets because there were only two seasons!

Chris:L, I believe that rare pilot is going to be included as far as the information given about the release from scifiwire.com says:

I sure hope they have tons of extras all though there may not be room considering they have to squeeze so many episodes into a set.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ach, Tom, I hadn't been by your site tonight and thought I was first up with those shots. Ah, well. Good job.

I took the shot of the table of contents, rotated it, and blew it up a bit so it could be read. Check that out here if you want.

Something I'm not talking about on TVShowsOnDVD, but I'll bring it up here: DVDPlanet's new listing today claims that the "Munsters Go Home!" movie is included in this set. All the evidence says that they're wrong. I'll find out for sure, though, and if it really is in there, I'll post something at TSoD of course.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
:angry:

While I doubt it'd be included as it seems out of context... I just bought the OOP Goodtimes release less than a month ago!

MattHR

Screenwriter
Here is a good reason why there appears to be no special features in this set:

Link Removed

Check out the August announcement for "The Munsters: America's First Family of Fright" 2-disc SE.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Matt.

More info on this intriguing-looking 2-Disc set:

Synopsis: Your favorite TV ghouls have arrived on DVD with this fright-tastic two-disc set! Disc One features Four Amazing Looks at the Munsters: The Munsters: America's First Family of Fright; Fred Gwynne: More than a Munster; Yvonne DeCarlo: Gilded Lily; Al Lewis: Forever Grandpa; Disc Two with Hours of Eerie Extras: "My Fair Munster" plus 3 Different Presentations in Black and White and Color; Unaired Main Title Sequence (Pilot Version); CBS Network Promos; The Munsters in Several Vintage TV Special Appearances: "Seven Wonderful Nights" (CBS Special with Buddy Ebsen); "Wayne & Schuster Take an Affectionate Look at the Monsters"; "Marineland Carnival" (CBS Special); "Big G, Little O"; "It's What's Happening, Baby" (with "Murray the K"); "We Don't Knock" (with Lenny Clarke). Plus: Universal Newsreels; Syndication TV Spots; Munster Go Home Theatrical Trailer and TV Spots.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That's the second time in 2 days that I came here to mention something, to already find out it's been posted! You guys are just too good! :p) :laugh:

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I am so excited for both the release of the first season and the "extras" discs...but like was mentioned on tvshowsondvd.com I hope the retailers give a discount for buying both of them....that will be a lot of money that day if it isn't like that.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
No the Series was B&W at least from the start I don't think they ever switched to color. THere seems to be 2 different case arts, I hope they are'nt going to use one of those Sopranos Like boxes I hate those. Would rather have a WB type Slipcase. BTW I like the Munsters but does anyone else think the $59.95 retail is a tad high? At least based on what the Green Acres, Gilligan Island price points were. I think a $39.95 retail is more warranted. Uinversal always seem to gouge for their products.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This is the first TV show that I've been interested in for some time. I have all of the Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, The Honeymooners and am waiting for more "All in the Family" & "The Simpsons", but outside of that, there are few that I want to own in their entirety.

That said, I'm extrememly nervous about this set. First off, Universal has terrible quality control, Secondly, DVD-18s seem to more problematic and more prone to being damaged. I want this set very bad, but I will definitely wait until some of these are out in the market place and reviews start pouring in. Why can't they just put the episodes on more discs, instead of cramming them into a small set? I love the way the Honeymooner's and Twilight zone sets are setup, and would rather sacrifice shelf space than have to worry about some of the episodes not playing when I finally get to them a year later.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Brandon is correct, the original pilot for THE MUNSTERS was indeed filmed in color, though the rest of the series was filmed in black and white. I guess they felt color was too expensive, or that it detracted from the atmosphere. Maybe a bit of both.

I've got the color pilot on tape, it has some different cast members.

Of course the 1966 feature MUNSTER GO HOME was shot in color, as was the 1981 THE MUNSTERS REVENGE reunion TV movie.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
The Universal Studios website has s.1 up for presale for $39.98 which is $20.00 less than the listed retail price...there wasn't any more info about what was contained on the discs other than just the episodes. This is even less than what Amazon has it for ($41.99)....

Pre-order The Munsters at Universal

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Saw this at The Munsters' Land of Fun site:

So there are 2 versions of the pilot with Joan Marshall. One 12 or 5 minute color presentation, and an extended B&W version. I wonder which one we'll be getting.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I just read this review for the discs that Image is releasing over at DVDtalk....I can't wait to watch all those documentaries in addition to the actual episodes!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks