What's new

The movies' most visceral DEATH SCENES... (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big fan of the film, but I found the death of the obese mother in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" disturbing. People like to make fat people the butt of jokes, but in that movie you really see the other side of the story when it comes to obesity. The last scene where the main character has to

turn the house into her funeral pyre, because she is just too big to move

is both poignant and disturbing.

Somebody mentioned the death of the little girl in "Grave of The Fireflies". I'll second that one. She may have been animated but that didn't make watching her waste away any easier to take.

'

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Don Giro

I realized after seeing "Saving Private Ryan" that the whole concept of screaming for one's mother can reduce me to tears. I find it incredible in our human nature that in moments of absolute pain and fear, the presence/idea of one's mother could somehow alleviate the situation.
I agree 100%.

Another scene that comes to mind, and the character is on screen for just a few minutes is the death of the female by the lake as her boyfriend watches in "Zodiac". The way he stabs her repeatedly and the growns and screams from the scene. Utterly shocking.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Aw hell, I'm surprised I didn't mention this one:

Eddie (Roger Guenevere Smith) being beaten to death w/a pool cue in Deep Cover. The way he screams is just horrid!

Also, the guy who steps on the mine in Dead Presidents - OOOOOOG!!!

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Wow. Some really great ones listed here already. It is grusome how just talking about them brings them back to me and makes me feel rather ill. I am such a wuss.

Ones that came to my mind:

Goodfellas - the first scene with the guy in the trunk. Horrible.

30 Days of Night - the beheading near the end. It was so realistic looking. The whole audience in the theatre gasped.

Plague Dogs - the ending just kills me. I weep openly on that one.

The Happy Prince - no show messes me up like this one with the deaths involved. And it is a kids cartoon for goodness sake!

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Damn, totally forgot about Billy Batts in GoodFellas! That one really shook me!!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Claire Panke

One death scene I found fascinating is actually in a mediocre movie. It's the scene in Torn Curtain where Paul Newman and a farm wife kill the baddie (an EG security officer) in the kitchen - a graphic example of how *hard* it can be to actually kill someone. (The guy doesn't go gently into that good night.)
I have to agree with this Gromek's death in Torn Curtain is really astonishing. It goes on for about 3 or 4 min. Its two people trying to kill a third. And these are the good guys. Hitchcock totally turns it on its head to where you almost fell sorry for the bad guy they are trying to kill. Of course the final way they kill him, sticking his head in an unlit gas oven, has overtones of the Nazi death camps.
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks