What's new

The movies' most visceral DEATH SCENES... (1 Viewer)

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun Fat) at the end of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is one of the saddest things captured on film, IMO. I always get choked up when he says something like, I would rather walk spend an eternity as a ghost at your side, than spend one day in heaven without you, to Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh).

tyler payne

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The Mellish scene is brutal and very hard to watch. I guess it's because it's so up close and personal.

Spielberg no one has mentioned; E.T. When they cut to Drew I lose it every damn time. :)

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Gotta agree with most of the titles & scenes mentioned here. There is one from a TV show (yeah, it's not a movie, I know) that gives me the willies tho:

Kenny being killed by the Phonics monkey on South Park. There's just something incredibly disturbing about the way the monkey screams while he tosses the the poor boy around...

Here's a good one: Michael being killed in The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover. Jeez, what could be worse than having pages of books shoved down your throat until you choke to death on your own blood? Killed by the thing he loves the most, EEESH!!

Josh.C

Second Unit
I went back and glanced through the posts to see what had been mentioned, and couldn't believe that American History X jaw to pavement hadn't been mentioned. Finally got to page 1 and saw MikeP was all over it :).

Others include:

John Wayne in the Cowboys. Its just hard to see the Duke die before the movie's over, it just doesn't happen

Wash in Serenity- I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I.....YIKES! Didn't see that one coming

Morgan Freeman's Character in Deep Blue Sea- Horrible movie, but pretty amazing that Morgan doesn't make it but about 20 minutes into the film. Think they were using him to sell tickets???

Japaneese girl in Hostel who jumped in front of train. SICK!

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Morgan Freeman's Character in Deep Blue Sea- Horrible movie, but pretty amazing that Morgan doesn't make it but about 20 minutes into the film. Think they were using him to sell tickets???

You mean Samuel L. Jackson.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good list so far. Very good. I'll echo some of these already mentioned:
Boromir-FOTR
Mellish-Sav. Private Ryan
Quint-Jaws
Jesus-Passion Of The Christ
William Wallace-Braveheart

All of those are unforgettable. Here's a few more that have impact on me:
Dr. Kimble's wife in The Fugitive (only a flashback but it's haunting)
Sean Connery's death in The Untouchables (this really upset me)
Caeser-Richard Harris (Gladiator)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Don't think it's been mentioned, but I'll never forget the opening scene of Cliffhanger.

The actress who played that part was so believable, a very emotional scene. And the way it was done, slowly building to the inevitable, was extremely effective and terrifying.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I watched one today at work and I can't believe that myself nor anyone else has mentioned it yet! I was watching Scarface and that scene in the shower where Tony's friend, Angel, get's cut up with the chainsaw is some tough stuff to sit through. :eek:

Then when the guy says "How bout' the leg, eh?"

Christ oh mighty, the imagination goes into overdrive with this scene.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Yes, well, a thread with the words 'visceral' and 'death' in it's header isn't really bound to raise anyone's spirits. ;)

Another one, the little boy on the bike in the unrated version of The Toxic Avenger.

THAT was some truly sadistic shit! :frowning::frowning:

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Definately second Malone's death in the Untouchables.

Matthew Broderick's last charge in Glory. Knows he's sacrificing himself to inspire his men to go on.

The guy in The Green Mile getting fried to a crisp because of the dry sponge.

And I was openly bawling during Professor X's death in X-Men TLS. I knew he was probably gonna bite it, but not in the first third of the movie and I definately didn't think the poor guy would be completely disintegrated. When the skin started to peel back from his fingers I was like "no, surely they won't..." - and they did. His last look to Wolverine before he goes, and Magneto's reaction, combined with the terrific score, reduced me to a weeping baby.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Definitely. Good call, Stephen. This scene in GLORY really solidified an already excellent film and gave it a huge emotional boost. As he sits atop his horse watching the sea birds above the ocean, knowing full well he is about to die, Broderick is simply devastating. He is an underrated actor, and this role should have won him and Oscar nod.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Actually, the execution of Wallace in Braveheart always leaves me cold mainly because I think it was too pretentiously done. Also, I could swear the axe falls about 6 times.

One death that really made me shiver was Eli's in the last scene of There Will Be Blood. Plainview acts like a total animal in that scene!

One of the funnier ones I've seen lately that was also pretty intense was Hitler's in Inglourious Basterds.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Ending in Se7en: I'll never watch that movie again.
The Devil's Advocate: Charlize Theron
Beginning of Cliffhanger: Nearly ruined the rest of the movie. That scene was much too real for the type of over the top action movie it was. If I watch the movie I just skip that part.
What Dreams May Come: While the movie doesn't really have any death scenes, the whole thing is about death. I managed to get through it even though I am not sure why I even bothered because as a parent, it was very difficult to watch.

I find that as I have gotten older and become a parent, my view of deaths in movies has changed. The standard action movie body count is no big deal but in drama, some deaths get to me more than they used to. Parent/child stuff is much harder because it is much closer to home. Sometimes a movie will set up a spouse/child death that is rather disturbing but then blow it off so nonchalantly just to give the hero some back story and motivation that it kind of pisses me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks