1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The most important speaker in a HT is....

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Joe Maiurro, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Joe Maiurro

Joe Maiurro Well-Known Member

Which one do you guys think is the most important?

2. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Well-Known Member

center. It contains almost all dialogue and lots of music and noises.

3. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Well-Known Member

Sub............gotta be the sub. Try looking at a movie without it after you've had one. You'll see what I mean. Johnny [​IMG]

4. JawhnM

JawhnM Well-Known Member

All speakers have a purpose and certain elements are lost if each one does not fulfill that purpose. Having said that, I would say the Center Channel speaker is the MOST important.

THIS IS OVERLY SIMPLIFIED!!!

1. The Surround speakers give you that sense of envelopment.
    2. The Main L/R speakers greatly enhance the soundstage and musical score.
    3. The Sub adds impact and depth.
    4. With all of the above and a lousy Center Channel speaker, the dialogue becomes hard to understand and not centered to the screen , which would tend to make the entire movie VERY unenjoyable (unless your watching a Charlie Chaplin movie).

5. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Well-Known Member

Center. With that said, there are those who prefer splitting center channel to the main speakers. I like the sound of a firmly planted center speaker so I know the sound is coming from the screen.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph
    Te most important speaker is also the one that usually gets the least glorification - Centre

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Well-Known Member

I agree, the center speaker is the most important.

In regards to the subwoofer though. It stinks to not have one but i'd rather hear what is going on in a movie then just hear a boom every once in a while.

8. Stelios

Stelios Well-Known Member

Now in a set of various brand speakers, I have noticed that the center speaker is the same as the L & R and surrounds. Does this mean then that the receiver is the one that determines the quality of the center one?

Stelios

9. RolandM

RolandM Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree a little about the centre speaker... IMO if you actually have a centre then it becomes very important that the centre you have is a good one. IOW if you have a centre speaker then it is the most important speaker in the setup, IMO. If you don't have a centre and your room isn't very big (and perhaps also if your TV isn't that big) then the dialogue can still sound pretty centred if you ask me.

I can see that in some situations having the centre might become more important though.

Like Johnny, I am tempted to say the sub as well because of the above opinion of mine...

I think in a low-cost set up you can get away without the centre but you can't get away with a budget centre speaker in a higher cost system (and nobody would try anyway)...

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Well-Known Member

Debating this red herring of a question is best done in the area devoted to the discussion of speaker systems. It's not a Basics area type of discussion.

11. GeorgeJM

GeorgeJM Active Member

The center is the most important, but a sub has has the most WOW! factor. Take away the sub and it's not as thrilling of an experience. Take away the center and you'll be missing 1/2 or more of the movie.

12. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Well-Known Member

I'm gonna disagree with the premise of the question. Because I don't thing any one speaker is more important than the other. They are all needed to make the ideal audio presentation of the DVD/video. A strong argument could be made that the center speaker is the least needed speaker in a HT setup. Keep in mind some people prefer no center speaker and run theirs in the phantom mode. While others run their systems without a sub, prefering to hear the lows from their mains.

13. george_k

george_k Active Member

I agree with what Reginald said...a good set of tower speakers could produce both upper and lower frequencies.

Personally, if I could go back in time, using the same budget I spent on my current setup, I'd buy a good quality stereo receiver and a pair of really good tower speakers.

14. Brian OK

Brian OK Well-Known Member

If I may,

your front trio is the seamless "front" speaker. Without the front stage intact (same speakers, in other words) then it is a matter of spurious psycoacoustical calculations after that.
    Granted, the center is dialogue laden, but if you do not have the same tweeter and bass drivers up front then it is a matter of variables and degrees after that. Purely subjective. But that is the love of audio ;^) ...go figure. So enjoy what you strive for.
    It really does matter. IMO and IME.

PS- if you are a bass head, then ignore this reply ............ if you enjoy musical speakers then you will nod

BOK

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Well-Known Member

John
    I agree with Brian, all 3 of the front speakers are the most important, and having them be as similar as possible is of great benefit to the listener.

Sub is a very close second in my book [​IMG]

16. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Well-Known Member

The center channel carries about 70% of the data,so do the "math".Ragading the "fold in" option,I've never seen a decent HT that didn't have a dedicated center speaker,nor anyone "reputable" would recommend skipping it.

17. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Well-Known Member

The most important speaker in a home theater is?: The Wife!

When she speaks you listen![​IMG]

(So glad I don't have that particular speaker in my setup!)

18. Stelios

Stelios Well-Known Member

You can say that again Brett!
    The WIFE is the center speaker,left,right and sometimes under....

Stelios

19. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Well-Known Member

For me its this little baby.

[​IMG]

Matched with a pair of these at the front.

[​IMG]

With a pair of these are the rear.

[​IMG]

A finally one of these for bass.

[​IMG]

All working in harmony to bring me the sound I want to hear. Overall I think in HT the center channel is the most important and for 2ch music its the fronts.

Kevin

20. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Well-Known Member

i've always heard the center was most important but its just as easy to send the signal to your mains. I think the most important speaker(depending on what your speakers are) is the subwoofer. If you have large mains that can handle the bass then I would say the mains would be most important. But if you have smaller speakers that need a sub then the sub would be first. Basically it all depends on the setup you have i'd say.