What's new

The Most Beautiful Films Ever Made on DVD (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Nice thread ...

ones that have not been discussed (I think)

Black Orpheus cc Amazing colors - sweat that will bring the temperature up in the room you're in.

And God Created Woman Colors to make you fall in love with the sea and the building near the sea all over again. Bardot too.

Contempt (Le Mepris) Another Bardot film with amazing colors.

Mon Oncleand Playtime David Lynch has been quoted that all of his favorite films are b&w except for Tatis' films. These are currently oop but worth finding and viewing. They are also rumoured to be remastering these films. I don't see how they can be much prettier than they already are .... but I'm willing to take a look ;)

Certainly some excellent suggestions already ...

The short list of films that I concur with

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Greg mentioned this off the get-go. The scenery is breathtaking.

The Thin Red Line - War is ugly but this film is beautiful

Barry Lyndon - Hard to select one title above the rest but this is certainly on the short list ...

Casablanca SE
L'avventura CC (although it might be the women)
Singin' in the Rain SE
Do the Right Thing CC
8 1/2 CC

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Nice to see so many people recommending so many of the David Lean movies! :emoji_thumbsup:

Most of the movies I would recommend have already been mentioned, so I won't repeat them.

One I didn't see mentioned was Like Snow Falling On Cedars. Great looking film! Horrible movie! :D

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
Great ones include Cinema Paradiso, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Walkabout, The Color Purple, Dreams(Akira Kurasawa), Great Expectations(David Lean), Perfect Storm, Days of Heaven, Spartacus, The Good, Bad, and the Ugly, and Once Upon a Time in the West.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Jordan Cronenweth died in 1996. His son, Jeff, has shot films including FIGHT CLUB and DOWN WITH LOVE.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Out of every DVD I've seen on my setup, I'd have to say Seven looks the best. I know it sounds strange to describe it as beautiful, since much of it features images of decay and squalor, but the cinematography and mastering on that DVD are amazing
i still prefer the criterion ld for picture, the dts mix on the dvd is wonderful though.

eraserhead
magnolia
the man who wasnt there
o brother where art thou
spartacus cc
rushmore cc
8 1/2 cc
fear and loathing cc
amelie
contact

CJ

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Bought the Superbits "Lawrence of Arabia" yesterday. The films still looks beautiful. Even though there is some edge enchancement, the picture's still beautiful. The color pops right off the screen - Especially on Disc Two!
Great film.:emoji_thumbsup:

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'd like to add Far From Heaven to the list. I find the cinematography and colours to be amazing.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
One not mentioned yet, but I think Excalibur has to be the prettiest looking DVD movie I've ever seen. Totally inappropriate for the subject matter. Could use a more modern (and anamorphic) presentation though.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Have any Vilmos Zsigmond films been mentioned yet?

There's a shot in The Deer Hunter that just blows my mind every time I see it; it is the shot when De Niro dashes into frame about to shoot the deer just before he misses the deer, perhaps intentionally, who knows. It's a great, great shot. Amazing.

Just about everything Zsigmond has shot is grade-A Cinema Art. Great cinematographer, no question about it.

Gordy

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
"Most beautiful films" do not neccessarily mean a good (or even decent) DVD.
So true.

But since he did state "on dvd", I like some of the following for eye candy:

Amelie
The Umbrellas of Cherboug
From Hell
Fifth Element (SB)
Dances with Wolves
Black Narcissus (gorgeous!)

B/W

Casablanca
Children of Paradise CC- very nice to look at considering what it has been through.

Martin, thank you for the mention of these:

The Red Shoes
The Scent of Green Papaya

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Lots of great suggestions. I hope that these are not duplicates, but I’d add the Criterion editions of Carl Dreyer’s Ordet, Day of Wrath and Gertrud to the list. I also think The Passion of Joan of Arc should be included, but for some, the state of the film may be a problem.

In another vein, Spirited Away is stunning.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Probably the most beautifully animated film ever made is Disney's Pinocchio. I don't think the DVD does it full justice, but it is still a wonder to behold.

Regards,

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I think Days of Heaven is the best looking movie I own. Very hard to surpass IMO. Road To Perdition isn't a bad looking film either. Despite the fact that it was mostly shot in a studio, to me Legend probably outranks Blade Runner in terms of visual style.

I can't wait for Hero to hurry up and reach our shores! I'm sure it will look fantastic.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Don mentioned Far From Heaven and I have to agree. It was going to be my choice.

There arent words to describe how this film looks on a properly calibrated set.

I was stunned,stunned,stunned!! Its absolutely beautiful to look at.

Others:
Apocalypse Now
Dances With Wolves
Jackie Brown
Superman
Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas Criterion Collection
American History X
Star Trek Nemesis (The space scenes are amazing)
Magnolia

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks