1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Monkees: Season 1 box set ... May 13th?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by soop.spoon, Apr 18, 2003.

1. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Well-Known Member

dvdpricesearch.com has The Monkees Season 1 listed as coming out on May 13th.

I've heard rumors of this in recent months, but haven't seen anything concrete. Does anyone have any additional info? As usual, Rhino's site has no info.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

For complete details on the set, click here!

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Well-Known Member

WOW. That made my day (and hurt my wallet)! Thanks, guys.

4. Chuck West

Chuck West Well-Known Member

I love that case! [​IMG]

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Well-Known Member

OMG!!! That case is SO cool!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Is there are release information on the Season 3 set?

The reason why I'm asking is that I'd really like to have the ABC TV special from a few years ago that was put together in conjunction with the release of the "Justus" CD. That was a hysterical show, particularly since they made it as though it was just another episode from a series that never went off the air.

I was wondering if Rhino had planned on integrating this (as well as "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee" and any other TV specials into this collection.

6. David Lambert

I think I'll personally let Rhino get past Seasons 1 and 2 before I start inquiring about Season 3! [​IMG]

7. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Well-Known Member

Greg
    The case looks identical to the TNG cases, which most people seemed to hate. I didn't mind them.

8. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Weren't there only two seasons?

9. soop.spoon

There were only 2 seasons.

Season 1: 32 episodes
    Season 2: 26 episodes

Hopefully Rhino will get around to releasing 33 1/3 as well. Perhaps in box two?

10. David Lambert

Ah, you see there! John's post ended up making *me* look stupid! [​IMG] :wink:

I shoulda asked the missus first...SHE is the Monkees fan around here!

11. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Well-Known Member

Wow, that case is interesting... I do notice the "Rhin-o-Phonic" logo on it, which I hope doesn't mean a really bad faux 5.1 mix like their Rutles DVD. I'm not too worried, however, as a lot of a attention to detail went into the VHS versions of these shows, and The Monkees are THE prime Rhino property.

I would be fascinated, however, if they went back to the master tapes (which Rhino owns) and offered an alternate audio track with the songs in stereo and/or 5.1.

12. John_Berger

John_Berger Well-Known Member

Oh, well. No biggie.

Still, I hope that Rhino can get that ABC special included. After all, it was written as though it was just another episode. That would be a great addition to the set.

13. Haden

Haden Well-Known Member

Hmm... I noticed that Mickey Dolenz isn't involved in any of the audio commentaries. Anybody know why? Seems like Mike Nesmith would be the one to not participate with this DVD set, and yet he's doing a couple of commentaries. Did Mickey have a recent falling out with the rest of the group?

14. Derek Miner

I would imagine it's only a scheduling issue. All of the guys have participated extensively in Rhino's archiving of the Monkees material - granting interviews for the CD reissues, for instance.

But if you've heard the Dolenz commentary on the Daydream Believers biopic DVD, you might be glad there's no Dolenz commentary on the Rhino set! [​IMG]

15. soop.spoon

16. Derek Miner

On the commentary track on Daydream Believers, Micky rambled on incoherently for the most part. He would go silent for a while and then make noises or comments in a funny voice without offering any substantial information.

17. James Alexis

James Alexis Active Member

Any reiews for this set yet? Isn't it out tomorrow?

18. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Well-Known Member

I'm with James. Rhino product varies wildly in quality (see the "Walking Tall" set for a sample of how bad it can be) and while I'm tempted to order it at DDD, I want to hear how this is first.

19. Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz Well-Known Member

Matt Kozlowski
    I received this from DDD yesterday. My initial thoughts are that the transfers are excellent - the best these shows have ever looked or probably ever will ... 5.1 audio is abysmal. Rhino luckily includes the original mono as well. Commentaries and extras (Kelloggs Commercials, 16mm pilot, etc. are great). Overall, I am pleased with the set. My only complaint is that if Rhino owns the Monkees music masters, they could have at least made true 5.1 or even used true stereo mixes for the songs. Would have been nice to have had audio options for songs used in reruns and syndication as well - but not bloody practical and I prefer the commentaries.

20. ScottR

ScottR Well-Known Member

Matt, is the Screen Gems logo at the end of each episode? I paid a lot of money for the vhs versions and don't know if I want to upgrade.