What's new

The MGM "please re-issue these DVDs" thread. Post your lists! (1 Viewer)

Ook

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
I'd like to see an unrated US release of Swamp Thing with all the excised scenes.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
We are in dire need of a new release for They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)

The dated letterboxed MGM disc is a waste of shelf space.

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
A decent reissue/SE of Heaven's Gate, preferably with Cimino commentary. (He was so vilified by certain critics and UA executives over this film, it would be interesting to hear his side of the story for once.)

A version of King of Hearts that doesn't look noticeably worse than the LD!

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I don't think he did, actually.

My vote go to decent Special Editions of the early Kubrick films, Killer's Kiss, The Killing and Paths of Glory.
New HD transfers of Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi wouldn't be bad either (Naqoyqatsi is from a different distributor, so no trilogy box set, I'm afraid).

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
MGM,

At the very least could you please REPACKAGE "After The Fox" and "The World Of Henry Orient" ...

The 2002 releases are an eyesore and I can't bring myself to pick them off the shelf.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
There might be a small glimmer of light at the end of the long dark tunnel on re-releases and new releases from MGM. There was an article recently in the New York Times discussing the problems facing MGM and how it is trying to position itself into a producing and distributing company and not just a distributing company as it has been for the last four or five years.

The article stated that MGM will receive the last of the guaranteed payments from Fox from DVD sales this year and from now until the end of the distribution agreement, in another few years, MGM will receive only monies from the actual sales. It went on to say that Fox has lost about 15 million a year so far with the guaranteed payments. It would now be in MGM’s best interest to increase the number of their releases and dig deeper in the vault to push sales. I hate to say this, but MGM could have been holding back since they were guaranteed a certain amount. They need the money from DVD sales to fund not only their slate of 10 new films, but to help launch their new movie cable company with Paramount and Lionsgate.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
It's ironic that this thread is titled "MGM The MGM "please re-issue these DVDs" since it doesn't seem like MGM is issuing anything as of late, especially titles never before on DVD. If they have titles coming out, I'd like to see a list. It seems like a plea to MGM is now a lost cause!? Prove me wrong MGM, I'd like to see a long list of upcoming Midnite movies or more westerns.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
1. The Big Country. The current release is marred by, among other things, the "color correcting" of the copper wash over the opening credits into black-and-white. You see traces of it in the dissolves. Whoever did the transfer never checked against the original. By the way, the VHS version has the correct color.

and

2. Goodbye Mr. Chips, the Peter O'Toole-Petula Clark musical version. The VHS was pan-and-scan, and there's never been a DVD. Oddly enough, there was a laser disk, letterboxed.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
There I was searching for the best version of Tobe Hooper's 'Lifeforce' and what do I find? ugh non-anamorphic.

So, yes please MGM, 'Lifeforce' remastered, with the extended and theatrical cuts, and all the deleted zombie attack footage included in the preview print, missing from both released dvd versions.
And an extra or two would be nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks