What's new

The MGM "please re-issue these DVDs" thread. Post your lists! (1 Viewer)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I don't think the box can be had now - it might reappear before Xmas if the store has it stashed away. The box was released about a month or so before the single "Return" would be released. I've been looking for my box - I have it, I'll find it - and I believe the box stated all movies (except Return) were mastered. The single "Return" was released weeks in Geneva before the german version.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
My most important MGM requests would be "Mad -Mad .. world" and the Inspector cartoons. The Inspector cartoons were to be released this past summer and was put on hold!!! Anyone have info on this?

Regarding Mad .. World, I first bought the PAL version and got US version with all the extras. At the time, I was in the US and saw the movie on cable with scenes NOT on the DVD. Very frustrating! I know there is a thread about "Mad".

colorado ryan

Auditioning
Real Name
thomas
the delta force 1986 it was released in widescreen in r2. we need a widescreen version on dvd in the us.
include deleted scences.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I have located my PP Box (If you could see my apartment - you would understand.) The PP Box with "Return" R2/PAL was released (in Germany ) August 2006. All films are 2.35:1. According to my regular store, the box is no longer available. The title of the box is "Der Rosarote Panther" (The Pink Panther) Filmcollection Remastered. There is a asterisk indicating remastered to all films except "Return". On the front of the box is the MGM logo - on the rear the MGM logo as well as Sony and Universal logos. I am sure that the "Return" DVD released weeks later is the same as in the box. On the rear of the box is "No 02965" which I assumes a restricted release (ala Disney's treasures"

DanMel

Second Unit
The most important MGM owned titles for me to re-release or release for the first time are the remaining Gary Cooper titles:

1. The Westerner
2. Man of the West
3. The Naked Edge
4. Return to Paradise

And Saratoga Trunk if they own it. I think it should have reverted back to WB after the mgm and warner partnership ended but it is still listed on their web site for Gary Cooper owned movies.

http://www.mgm.com/title_talent.php?id=143056

If any MGM representives read this, I don't think there is any reason to re-release Vera Cruz as that print looks fine to me and the Man of the West PAL R2 print is also in fine shape. Just release that one in Region 1 format without the Pal speedup. Also no need to release any of the films mentioned above with any sort of special features. I would just like to see them all released on dvd bare bones rather than not released at all. All of the above titles were released on VHS and would like to see them all eventually get released in a second MGM box set. This set with the above mentioned titles would in fact be better choices than the first MGM Gary Cooper box set.

moviefan

Agent
Real Name
justin
MGM should do a new transfer of The Greatest Story Ever Told. I am sure it has been mentioned before. I have the two disc that is currently out of print.

AbbyNormal

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Heise
:frowning: I have two titles for MGM/UA to issue correctly on DVD: THE ALAMO & IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD.

1) THE ALAMO: why can't there be a reissue of the LD boxset that they did years ago? The transfer was gorgeous (from a 70mm print that somehow had found its way into a Canadian distribution center), complete with overture, intermission, entr'acte and exit music, and, while the speeches are a bit windy, rather compelling. The performances are (for the most part) outstanding, and to hear Tiomkin's score properly is wonderful. The documentary that was included was well done and should be seen again. Why is this not out?

2) MAD WORLD: there was a 70mm restoration done that was shown at the Cinerama Dome a few years ago that had EVERYTHING put back, including the intermission radio messages that were found in Stanley Kramer's archive. As far as I know, that is now sitting in a vault somewhere gathering dust when it could be brought out on a very nice special edition DVD set with the doc that was with the LD (updated, of course) and a commentary track with whomever is still with us along with a knowledgeable fan of the film for any good stuff. Again, why is this not out?
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

I also want to make the suggestion for THE APARTMENT, THE BIG COUNTRY, & THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (letterboxed with extras, PLEASE! A restoration was done recently-do this masterpiece right!).

:emoji_thumbsup: Thanks again for SEs of MISERY, A FISH CALLED WANDA, MOONSTRUCK, A BRIDGE TOO FAR, THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN (thanks for the complete Walton score!), the Leone/Eastwood trilogy and SOME LIKE IT HOT.

:angry: Now, what can be done about the above?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
MGM get It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World out now!

Next year I'ts A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World turns 45 years old, so give this movie what it deserves.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
SUMMER LOVERS in its OAR and 16x9 enhanced, and please include the 1982 documentary The Making of Summer Lovers.

This was posted earlier by another HTF member and I felt it was worth repeating. I'm starting to think I'll never own this film.:frowning:

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
These titles have probably been covered earlier in the thread but...

Paths Of Glory
The Train
Birdman Of Alcatraz
The Charge Of The Light Brigade (1968)
The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
The Fortune Cookie
Coming Home
Sweet Smell Of Success
I Want To Live!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Bruce,

'The Fortune Cookie' seems to be listed in a new box set for release in March, containing four MGM Wilder films, including the new "Collector's Edition" of The Apartment... Whether this will be a brand new transfer, I'm as anxious to know as I'm sure everyone else is.

And why Avanti!, Irma La Douce, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes and One, Two, Three are not included is beyond me...

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
A vote for Exodus, which I watched on Saturday night for the first time.

Possibly the most deplorable DVD transfer from a major studio I have ever seen.

The audio is scratchy as well.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
One of the most criminally overlooked titles most deserving of a proper DVD release and laregely (if not wholly) unmentioned as of yet in this thread...

William Wyller's THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946; Myrna Loy & Frederic March)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The good thing about HD is that it is forcing the studios to dust off/spruce up/restore or remaster a tile.
Maybe we will get the Woody Allen films 16:9 enhanced

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks