What's new

The MGM "please re-issue these DVDs" thread. Post your lists! (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
R1 Anamorphic Special Edition reissues of these titles please:

TOP GUN *
TITANIC *
CRIMSON TIDE
ARMAGEDDON
DEEP IMPACT
ENEMY OF THE STATE
TRUE LIES
MRS. DOUBTFIRE
ROMANCING THE STONE
JEWEL OF THE NILE

* confirmed or rumored that these are in the works.

Oops, didn't realize this was MGM. Anyway, not certain of which of these may or may not be MGM, but they all need the treatment!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
JEAN DE FLORETTE
MANON DE SOURCE
THE APARTMENT
BIG COUNTRY
EXODUS

All deplorable transfers. Thanks, MGM, for the good ones, though!

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
All need to be done in proper wide screen aspect ratios and must be enhanced for 16:9 displays:
PIT AND THE PENULUM
MOONSTRUCK
A FISH CALLED WANDA
WARGAMES
BACK TO SCHOOL

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Even though they are anamorphic the current transfer of ROB ROY and RANCHO DELUXE are horrible. They should be redone.

Would also like to see BOUND FOR GLORY and HEAVEN'S GATE redone in anamorphic transfers.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm really most interested in seeing every film that had optical subtitles (burned in to the film print) replaced for player generatered subtitles to be replaced with the proper "burned in" subtitles.

The player generated subtitles are often of a completely different look than the film itself and thus a distraction, and sometimes the subtitles the player throws up can be so small as unrecognizable, or improperly encoded, which results in information being displayed improperly or omitted. Or sometimes just the subtitles have been mis-typed or just plain forgotten.

As such, I think MGM definitely needs to re-do Annie Hall with the original subtitles that made the balcony scene where Woody Allen asks Diane Keaton out on a date so funny in the first place.

Also, English captions or subtitles for all releases that don't have them currently would be appreciated.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
My re-release wishlist echoes many who have posted before me...

Child's Play
Pumpkinhead
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part II
Spaceballs
A Fish Called Wanda

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
All films intended for viewing at 1.66:1 or wider should be released or reissued, as the case may be, in 16x9 formatted widescreen. Reissues would include House of Games (currently 4x3 formatted widescreen, to my understanding), Henry V (Branagh; 16x9 formatted, but overmatted from its intended 1.66:1), Sweet Smell of Success, The Misfits, Some Like It Hot, the upcoming release of Cyrano de Bergerac, a great film reportedly presented in 4x3 formatted widescreen ... and countless others. If it's 1.66:1 or wider, it benefits from 16x9 formatting: the pixels don't lie. And overmatting a film, just as removing mattes for an "open matte" 1.33:1 presentation, compromises intended screen composition.

I'm thrilled with many of M-G-M's films on disc, and they were one of the first studios to embrace an aggressively low pricing structure :emoji_thumbsup:, but in the above there is room for improvement.

While I wouldn't necessarily advocate reissues (perhaps a few, such as Dances With Wolves and Die Another Day, though they are otherwise excellent), M-G-M's chronic application of artificial edge enhancement to telecines, creating halos and/or hard lines around (and particularly to screen right) of objects set against bright backgrounds or featuring specific contrast variances, is another area in which I'd very much like to see improvement (i.e. the elimination of edge enhancement altogether -- it's an analogue technology at odds with the clarity of a digital format). So many of their releases are outstanding ... right up to the edge enhancement parameter, and then they fall apart in an effort to accurately recreate (in DVD resolution) an image as seen on film.

If the studio would eliminate EE from releases (perhaps with a few reissues), and 16x9 format all product 1.66:1 and wider (necessitating a great many reissues), they'd easily rise to the very top of the DVD quality game. :emoji_thumbsup: They're up there already, particulary with their Midnight Madness and other budget lines (where price to content value is often exemplary), but a few unnecessary, easily-remedied snags keep their product below the overall quality of product from a few other studios. They're certainly in the top tier, besting some of their competitors, but they could be higher still with the above corrections.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
SUMMER LOVERS in its OAR and 16x9 enhanced. And, please include the 1982 documentary "The Making of Summer Lovers."

Jon

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"The Ice Pirates", "The Dirty Dozen" and "Network" are all Warner titles now through the Turner buyout. Go to them about these favorites.

Anyway, I'll echo the "Breakin'" movies, "Spaceballs", "Rollerball" and "Moonstruck". I'd like to also mention the "Death Wish" sequels as well. They haven't come out yet, but I would prefer they be issued in OAR.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I know what I like.

Will K

Screenwriter
Doggoneit, how could I forget Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert?

A SE is available Down Under, complete with deleted scenes and commentary. Bring it on to the US!

If nothing else, Bernadette and the girls deserve a new 16x9 transfer.

Matthew Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to see Miracle Mile and The Missionary (w/Michael Palin) re-released in their OAR and anamorphic. I have not and will not purchase the "full frame" editions currently available. Any extras would be extra nice, but OAR/anamorphic is pretty much make/break for me.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
The Kubricks' Killers Kiss,The Killing, and Paths of Glory, all remastered and done as SE, With a comentary track from Kirk Douglas and Christiane Kubrick for Paths of Glory, Irene Kane and Jamie Smith for Killers Kiss, and Quentin Tarantino, for the Killing,in anamorphic Aspect ratio: 1.66 : 1 (intended ratio)so he can explain how his little film Reservoir Dogs, almost seems like a remake of this classic, these need the works,

Benn

Stunt Coordinator
M G M owns THE MAID (1991) with Martin Sheen & Jacqueline Bisset
I'd like to see this one released.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Scanners- SE

Pumpkinhead- OAR SE

Fluke- OAR SE

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2- SE

Child's Play- OAR SE

The Brood- SE

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Extreme longshot here, but I would dream for a 16 x 9 transfer of THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE. I own the previous non-anamorphic OAR version, but it could easily be beefed up with commentary by Joseph Sargent, the still-remaining cast members (Hector Elizondo, Earl Hindman, Jerry Stiller, Julius Harris), and perhaps some choice comments from Quentin Tarantino, who hommaged the color-coded villains in RESERVOIR DOGS.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
we need these titles upgraded to ANAMORPHIC, please:

THE GRADUATE(SE coming soon!)
ANNIE HALL
MIDNIGHT COWBOY(SE coming soon)
ANGELS AND INSECTS
RUNAWAY TRAIN
LIFEFORCE-SE(BOTH versions via seamless)+MAKING OF LF.
THE FLORETTE/MANON OF THE SPRING set
FISTFUL OF DOLLARS(SE coming soon)
FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE(Se coming soon!)

whats the holdup on these?

THE ALAMO(roadshow)
THE SECRET RAPTURE

sincerely

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks