What's new

"The Mentalist" season six (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure that the F.B.I. would be as in the dark as Jane assumes regarding Bertram's list, but it was still satisfying to see Jane pull the wool over Abbott's eyes. It looks like Lisbon is going to be enjoying herself more with Jane since she will not have to answer directly for his actions. In the past Jane's superiors in CBI used threats against Lisbon to attempt to control Jane (Hightower for one) and I wonder if they (the show) will go there again.

In season 2, Bosco had Jane arrested and Jane willingly went to county jail, with the viewpoint that his mental outlook was the key to his freedom, not the physical setting. While tonight's episode did not specifically reference that point of view, Jane sticking to his guns in light of earlier experiences was not too surprising.

Really interested in seeing where Lisbon and Jane go with Lisbon's professional relationship to Jane being altered.

Todd, I was concerned as well that Van Pelt or Rigsby would be sacrificed to Red John and was relieved that they were permitted to exit under much happier circumstances.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I enjoyed Patrick Jane 2.0. Actually, Jane wasn't really different at all, but the reboot has given him a new group of amusing characters to play with along with the always reliable Tim Kang (Kimble Cho) who was my favorite from the old group of supporting players.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Rigsby and Van Pelt returned in a B-plot which may turn to an A-plot in the next new episode. I hope they don't kill them off.

Anyone figure out why it was called "Golden Hammer"?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Looks like the former CBI all have targets on their backs. I can take it if Rigsby and Van Pelt are written off the show, but there is no reason to kill them off. That's just mean.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
Renewed for season seven.

Yes!

- Walter.
That's a surprise. Many predictions had this as a goner and it looked like they might have been heading towards a finish.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I was completely surprised (but very happy) about this renewal, but I'm wondering if there aren't strings attached: a shorter season, a midseason start, etc. I guess CBS will spell everything out at upfronts this week.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
From this Deadline article, the writer suspects "I hear it is likely for a 13 episode seventh and final season."

"The Mentalist creator Bruno Heller is segueing to his new Fox series Gotham, but I hear he will see his baby off, sharing co-showrunner duties with one of his lieutenants, Tom Szentgyorgyi. Simon Baker is set to return as he has one more year on his current contract"

"The Mentalist producer Warner Bros TV had been quietly shopping the series to other networks. Mentalist is a very important property to the studio with its $2 million-plus-per-episode off-network deal at TNT and big international sales including in France, where it is the No. 1 scripted series. "

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The big question about the upcoming season finale is whether they filmed two endings - one as season finale and one as series finale.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A very nice wrap up to the season. It would have also worked as a series finale. I have to assume that it was constructed to handle both scenarios (season or series finale.)

I was very happy to see the show finally take this step with Jane and Lisbon. The cases were just so much window dressing in an episode that was all about Jane and Lisbon. Jane's timing mistake booking the reservations felt a little contrived given how seamless Jane's schemes are usually constructed, but it served its purpose of putting enough pressure on Jane that he finally had to confront his fears.

I've enjoyed the reboot into a sunnier (for the most part) version of the show and I am looking forward to next season.

- Walter.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Surprised that Cho didn't pick up on it sooner. He always seemed to know when things were going on. On a side note. Did anyone else notice how Abbott has changed in his demeanor towards Jane since he was introduced? The first couple of episodes he despised him and wanted to lock him away. Now, he seems to go out of his way to be friendly to Jane and even help him and cover for him. I guess you can attribute that to all the cases Jane has helped close for his team....See's that he really is a useful team member.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, it was a very enjoyable season ender, and I immediately noticed how it could have served as a series ending episode, too.

Will be curious to see what this new relationship for the two of them will mean in next season's cases. Maybe we won't have to wait until midseason to see. If one of CBS' new dramas tanks, I'm sure The Mentalist will be first off the bench.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else notice how Abbott has changed in his demeanor towards Jane since he was introduced? The first couple of episodes he despised him and wanted to lock him away. Now, he seems to go out of his way to be friendly to Jane and even help him and cover for him. I guess you can attribute that to all the cases Jane has helped close for his team....See's that he really is a useful team member.
I had not really thought much about it, but in retrospect Abbott does appear to have warmed up to Jane. He certainly is giving him leeway, probably more than he got at the C.B.I. (How many episodes did Virgil, Hightower, Bertram, Bosco, etc. have antagonistic scenes with Jane?) We still haven't seen Abbott's superiors in the F.B.I. and I do wonder if we ever will.

I honestly thought that the show might strike up a relationship between Fischer and Jane, considering how they met; but I think it worked out better this way for long time fans of the show.

- Walter.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Nice season finale. The opening scene was humorous with a clearly distracted Jane who still solved a case in a couple of minutes. When they introduced the mystery letter which ended up delaying Lisbon's move I had a feeling Jane had written it.

I had also thought they might do something with Fischer and Jane when the season started but they didn't even work that closely together in many cases.

I wonder how the Lisbon/Jane relationship will work out in the final season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks