What's new

The Matrix Trilogy HD DVD Reviews... (1 Viewer)

Eric-S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric Schnabel
I too picked this up at deepdiscount for $51.06 using the code "dvdtalk"

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

I can beat it. I picked up a new Ultimate Matrix Collection HD-DVD set today for $26. I had posted in another thread that I returned a Complete Trilogy set because one of the discs had a bad scratch on it and I was going to wait until the movies were released individually before repurchasing the Matrix by itself. But..... I sold some used CDs at Hastings this evening and managed to score enough store credit that I only had to pay 26 clams for the set. :D

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I just recently inherited an HD DVD player and some HD DVDs with this The Matrix Collection being one of the first ones I've watched. Normally, I watch Blu-ray on my PS3 and have been generally very happy with everything I've seen in Blu-ray so far. However, when I started watching The Matrix and The Matrix Reloaded, I noticed really bad noise especially in the background in almost every scene. Not just normal grain, but what looks like bad compression of the natural film grain. Blocky and over saturated. I don't have it on Blu-ray so I can't compare these, but I'm interested to see if anyone else has noticed this. It's something I've yet to encounter on Blu-ray.

I have the new Blade Runner on DVD, Blu-ray and HD DVD, so I think I'll compare those and see if I notice a difference on those.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have compared some HD DVDs and BDs on my system (not the Matrix, though) and I've found nothing to choose between them PQ-wise (Blade Runner, Batman Begins and The Searchers are three I've compared). I'm quite happy with my HD DVD collection (especially the price I paid for the bulk of the discs).

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by PaulDA

I have compared some HD DVDs and BDs on my system (not the Matrix, though) and I've found nothing to choose between them PQ-wise (Blade Runner, Batman Begins and The Searchers are three I've compared). I'm quite happy with my HD DVD collection (especially the price I paid for the bulk of the discs).

WB used the same encodes for a lot of their releases, so you won't typically see a difference between the HD DVD and the BD

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Among several reasons why I'm in no hurry to replace my HD DVDs with BDs. I have two HD DVD players and an HD DVD/BD combo computer drive, so I think I'm covered. I have over 160 HD DVDs (just got Batman Begins for a pittance), for most of which I paid less than SD DVD prices, and there are over 25 that remain w/o a BD hi-def equivalent.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Thanks for the info guys. Maybe I have my calibration wrong on my TV, but I'm just not noticing bad artifacting on anything else. I will say I just watched Shaun of the Dead on HD DVD, and didn't notice the compression artifacts I saw on the Martix HD DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks