What's new

The Matrix COllection hits HD DVD MAy 22!! (2 Viewers)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I suspect that these won't be flippers in the SD-DVD sense of the word. No interruption of the movie.... you'll just have to turn them over to play the extensive extra material. That's really no different than a SD title that comes on two different discs.

Granted, this could be avoided on Blu-ray. But, then, it's not coming to Blu-ray just yet. :D

Mark

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm starting to feel the pain of Star Wars aficionados, as I have the Ultimate Matrix on DVD box set (with the Neo bust) on a close-out deal, and also have the original DVD releases, and now I am tempted once again with this HD DVD set of Matrix goodness.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the flipper, I don't see the big deal. The extras which are extensive are on the opposite site.

Also I would not expect Netflix to rent this. Color me surprised if they do.

Like they did with the last Ultimate Collection? :laugh:
It never happened.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Glad someone noticed it....(shhh, it's from the closing credits). :D

Patrick..."it's pointless to resist, my Moderator..." ;)...

I said last year I wouldn't buy the Original Unaltered Star Wars Trilogy (non anamorphic version)....said some real tough stuff. Then shamelessly drove 90 miles one way to the nearest Best Buy for the collectible tin set they were holding for me.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:eek:

Such is the life of we movie collectors. The studio big wigs all get a big woody just thinking about us. :crazy:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

This isn't just an "Ultimate Collection" release though. They are also releasing the plain old "Complete Trilogy", which are the one's I'd imagine will be broken up when released separately.

Although, it may just turn out that when these are released separately they will be on Total HD. I wouldn't be surprised by that at all.

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
For those of you concerned about the whole flipper thing, this is what I read somewhere (don't remember exactly but I'll try and find out and post a link) about the whole situation. The first disc will contain the Matrix on one side and Matrix Revisited on the other. The second disc will contain the Matrix: Reloaded on one side and Matrix: Reloaded Revisted on the other and so on. The movies will not be split so you do not have to flip the disc to watch the movie.

I believe they will be dual layer 30gb on each side. Again, I remember reading it somewhere but don't remember where exactly so don't hold me to that. I believe they will also include TrueHD soundtracks.

The problem with BD-J is that none of the studios have figured out a way to do PiP commentary without encoding a 2nd version of the movie on the disc with the commentary boxes over the movie, i.e. Crank & the Descent. There's nothing wrong with that but it takes up a boatload of space and you cannot switch between the movie and PiP on the fly. When Warner finally does figure out how to use BD-J properly, hopefully they'll also include a lossless audio track since they're doing so on the HD DVD. I still don't understand why they couldn't do the same on Happy Feet.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Exactly, Travis.

Having a day to reflect on it, I guess I don't really mind the double-sided discs. I mean, this has nothing to do with cover art. It's just that some of us just prefer single sided discs....

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
If anybody from Warner is reviewing these posts, I hope they take note of the heavy bias against flippers. I haven't seen opinions run this strong since the last combo-disc flame-thread. This, along with a couple of other factors could have a more serious than expected impact on an important release.

I want at least one of the sets regardless, but, I can understand the bias. I would much prefer to have a label to read, as opposed to that microscopic print around the hub. Plus, it would make for an easier division between feature films and extras, which would make future, variable packagings easier. Seems to me, that this factor alone would make Warner lean toward single sided discs. The cost factor should be minimal. Really...out of those MSRP's, how much percentage would it cost to break-up the features and the extra materials?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
flipper disc doesnt mean the same thing as it did in the past.
these days it just means a disc that is 2 sided.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

I'm aware of that....I've been around for a long time. It's a matter of basic design and packaging, as well as ease of use and personal preference. Many factors go into the mix, but a 2-sided disc, is a 2-sided disc.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i realize that and i agree.

i was responding to those who are thinking its a flipper as in movie being split across more then on side of a disc.
thats why i didnt quote your post.
i wasnt responding to you.

btw congratulations for being around a long time.

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
I think there's pretty clearly a silent majority that just don't care. Of course, no one loves flippers; it'd be a silly thing to love. So of course there are no, "Yay! Flippers!" messages.

And, by the same token, if someone has no opinion one way or the other, they're not going to read about the discs being flippers and say, "Oh, look, they're flippers, a topic on which I have no preference at all!"

So the only people who even comment on the flipper nature of the discs are the complainers, which makes it look as if there's an overwhelming hatred of flippers, when in reality it's just a few very vocal people griping about a pet peeve.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
for those of you (like me) who don't like 2 sided discs, and have the original ultimate set, i may just get those DVD ROM label stickers and label up the supplemental side :) then i have my one-sided discs, i'll always know instantly what side to put in the player. it'd even be better if we could put those labels through a printer and have custom labels :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks