What's new

tHe mAsTeR aPpRoVeS oF tHiS nEwS! Manos the "Hands" of fate comes to Blu! (1 Viewer)

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
Lord Dalek said:
As you know this version includes the complete opening sequence for the first time since 1966. The old Alpha dvd starts as Michael, Maggie, and Debbie have already pulled over to the scenic vista whereas the copy MST3k used starts just as they're about to pull in omitting the first two shots. Why the other versions were incomplete remains a mystery.

My guess is that the word "workprint" is a clue here. It's possible that further changes were made before the final edit and printing master were created.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
KMR said:
My guess is that the word "workprint" is a clue here. It's possible that further changes were made before the final edit and printing master were created.
Yeah but the "Grindhouse Version" which is that 16mm general release version Solovey got in the same auction has those shots as well.

As it stands, it's a mystery.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Squire said:
"Ars est celare artem". Yes, puppeteers are actors, but if they want to be seen they should be a regular stage actor and not a puppeteer. Ventriloquists are different in that they are supposed to be seen and heard as part of the act. Speaking without moving the lips help sell the illusion that the dummy is alive. Having a puppeteer onstage visibly working the puppet and so very obviously speaking the words goes a long way toward destroying the illusion.
I gather from this that you didn't like the stage version of The Lion King.

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I didn't want to derail the thread with my puppet rant. It's just a matter of personal preference. I think the art lies in making the puppet come to life and IMO that's done best when the puppeteer remains as unseen as possible. The artists in Bunraku are often (tho not always) wearing black robes and hoods to make their presence less obvious. As far as being a fan of the stage version of Lion King goes, I'm not a big fan of musicals in general so puppets or no puppets, the answer would be no.

Getting back to Manos... I need to really compare the restored version to the Grindhouse version because if there is damage to the work print that isn't in the release prints that means the damage occurred after initial release and that damage should have been repaired. If the clapboard was taken out, it shouldn't have been! Anything that made it into the release version should have been preserved in the restoration.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Maybe the clapper shot wasn't present in the film cans Solovey bought? There's a bonus feature of outtakes on the Rifftrax of Manos, which apparently came from Warren's son.

It would seem no one person is in possession of all the surviving footage.

My local B&N didn't have the Blu Ray in stock, but I'll get in the mail by next week, Manos willing. :P

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
B&N sent out the movies I ordered separately. The mailer I got today gave no clue as to which film was inside.

I was delighted to find Manos got here first. Best belated birthday present to myself in a long time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks