What's new

tHe mAsTeR aPpRoVeS oF tHiS nEwS! Manos the "Hands" of fate comes to Blu! (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Professor Echo said:
My copy on MIll Creek's 100 pack of public domain horror films looks just like a Blu Ray, so I see no need to double dip on this classic.
Considering this is the first time original first generation (or close to it) 16mm ektochrome elements are being used for the film I'd say there is.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
From the about goddamned time department:

10888913_1075839579110713_1531403950772083904_n.jpg

SYNAPSE FILMS ART REVEAL for our upcoming edition of MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE! Cover art created by the awesome Joel Robinson, a man we've known for years and we've finally had the opportunity to work with. More details to come, but we're fast-tracking this one as an October "Halloween" release. Once everything is coordinated for the sellsheet, etc. we may make the formal announcement next week, with extras, pre-order cut off, and street date details!

To all the "Manos" restoration Kickstarter supporters out there... we are working RIGHT NOW to get both the DVD and BLU versions finished well before the "public" street date, so that all those that donated to Ben Solovey's Kickstarter campaign for his restoration will receive their copies well ahead of everyone else. Stay tuned! For more information on Ben Solovey's restoration efforts, please visit his site at: www.manosinhd.com

It's been SOOOOO long since I backed this, I had almost given up!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
By the way, here are the extras, just announced:
  • All-new 2K restoration of MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE
  • Audio commentary featuring Tom “The Master” Neyman and Jackey Raye “Debbie” Neyman-Jones
  • HANDS: THE FATE OF “MANOS” – Featurette (31 mins.)
  • RESTORING THE HANDS OF FATE – Featurette (7 mins.)
  • FELT: THE PUPPET HANDS OF FATE – Featurette (4 mins.)
  • [BLU-RAY ONLY BONUS] MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE – “Grindhouse” Unrestored Version

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I cant imagine that the movie takes up all that much room on the disc, so throwing two copies on there - probably not a big deal. I'm eager to hear the commentary, myself!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The Kickstarter finally dropped some new knowledge:

First of all, thank you for your patience throughout this lengthy drought of information- I hope you'll find that your trust was well placed. With Synapse's confirmation of the release date, I'm finally able to share all of the information concerning the discs you'll be receiving. What follows is the official Synapse press release:
The Press Release
Independent U.S. distributors Synapse Films have announced that they will release on Blu-ray Harold P. Warren's Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966), starring Tom Neyman, John Reynolds, and Diane Adelson. Sourced from a brand new 2K restoration, the release will be available for purchase on October 13.
Mike (Harold P. Warren) and Maggie (Diane Mahree), on a road trip with their daughter and family dog, take a wrong turn in Texas and become trapped at a weird lodge inhabited by a polygamous pagan cult. They soon find themselves in the middle of a power struggle between caretaker Torgo (John Reynolds), cult leader The Master (Tom Neyman), and two warring factions of the Master's wives. As the family tries to escape, the worshipers of "Manos" decide their fate…
MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE, the sole directorial effort of Texas fertilizer salesman Harold P. Warren, perplexed even the most jaded Drive-In audiences and was deemed by many "the worst movie ever made". Nearly lost, the original 16mm Ektachrome film elements have been finally unearthed and lovingly restored by Ben Solovey to create the definitive version of this accidental masterpiece. There's no other movie like MANOS… now in HD with picture and sound unseen since 1966.

SPECIAL FEATURES: • All-new 2K restoration • Audio commentary featuring Tom “The Master” Neyman and Jackey Raye “Debbie” Neyman-Jones • HANDS: THE FATE OF “MANOS” Featurette • RESTORING THE HANDS OF FATE Featurette • FELT: THE PUPPET HANDS OF FATE Featurette • MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE - “Grindhouse Unrestored Version” (BLU-RAY ONLY BONUS)
NOT RATED / 1966 / 74 MINS. / COLOR / 2.0 MONO / 1.33:1/ REGION FREE BLU PRICE: $24.95/ DVD PRICE: $19.95
The Backer Discs
As planned, I'll be receiving backer discs after they are manufactured, but before they arrive in stores. Your Blu-ray or DVD will be shipped immediately after I get them. The exact ETA will depend on your location.
I'm still taking updates from backers concerning changed addresses, and will continue to do so until the discs arrive for shipment. It's important to note that Kickstarter has no method to change your survey results, so you'll need to use the messaging system to contact me directly with address updates.
True to their word, the Synapse discs will be region free, capable of being enjoyed anywhere in the world.
The "Grindhouse Edition", a Blu-ray exclusive extra, comes from an unrestored 2K transfer directly from my 16mm theatrical print, the same one used for the Rifftrax Live Show (they color corrected it on their own, so don't expect the exact same image). Unlike the restored version, the Grindhouse edition will be released under a creative commons license, free to use and remix as you see fit. DVD-only backers won't necessarily be without the Grindhouse edition for long, though... more on that soon.
Soundtrack Release
Many of you have enjoyed the "Manos" soundtrack that we've posted to Bandcamp. I'm happy to say that, in cooperation with Ship to Shore PhonoCo, a vinyl LP of the soundtrack is coming- the first official release the soundtrack has ever had. In their own words:
Ship to Shore PhonoCo. is proud to present the original soundtrack to Hal P. Warren's Manos: The Hands of Fate. While the film is often lambasted for being one of the worst of all time, the music by Robert Smith Jr. and Russ Huddleston is a decidedly offbeat and strangely compelling affair. Utilizing sparse, jazzy arrangements to act as counterpoint to the nearly incomprehensible happenings on screen, the music contributes heavily to the films surrealistic and nightmarish tone. Remastered from a recently discovered 35mm magnetic soundtrack, this album combines the music and dialog to the film to create the feeling on "a truly demented stream-of-conciousness radio play." (Scott Johannsson, The Damn Fine Podcast)
600 copies on Red/Black swirl "The Master" Vinyl (available through Ship to Shore PhonoCo @ shiptoshore.storenvy.com) 600 copies on Brown "Torgo" Vinyl (available though Light in the Attic in NA and One Way Static in the EU) 800 copies on Standard Black Vinyl
A preview of their release can be heard on Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/ship-to-shore-phonograph/manos-the-hands-of-fate-lp-preview
Of course, if you don't have a turntable of your own, the soundtrack will always be available to download on Bandcamp for free (or a donation of your choosing).
The Musicians
On a related note to the Soundtrack, our friend Jackey Neyman Jones, in her tireless research for her upcoming book about "Manos", has unearthed something that we have all been wondering about: the identities of the uncredited musicians that contributed to the memorable songs heard throughout the movie.
Her effort to make contact with these unsung heroes of the film is still ongoing, but we have already gotten in touch with the prominently featured female vocalist (from "Magic Circle" and "Forgetting You") Nicki Mathis. She's a wonderful woman and it'll be great to add her voice to the conversations about this film.
Best of all, she's still performing! More of Nicki's work over the years can be sampled and purchased here. If her work has given you as much enjoyment as it has to me, I hope you'll check it out.
It goes without saying, but this new discovery has come too late to have an impact on the contents of the Blu-ray. However, that doesn't count out the LP, which will feature liner notes from Nicki as well as the first-ever attribution of all the known artists, or Jackey's upcoming book, which promises to have the most thorough sets of interviews with the surviving cast and crew anyone could want. It also doesn't exclude some internet exclusive interviews in the near future, in much the same way that we shared the soundtrack or outtake reel with the public.
The Preservation Negative
Last but not least: I'm pleased to announce that after many months of work, our 35mm preservation negative has been struck and placed on deposit at the Academy Film Archive. While theatrical prints from the negative have not yet been created (this involves another round of costly work, including color timing and the creation of an answer print for testing), proceeds from our fundraising store, the disc and LP sales will go toward that final step. For now, I just want backers to know that their contribution to this project has at last ensured the long term preservation of this film in the 35mm format- currently, the only truly secure method of film preservation.

Whew - quite the update, and quite the treasure trove of data. But it's great to see all sides of the project coming together finally. And yes, I hope that MST3K is well represented here too.

Also: Behold the Torgo Theme!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks