What's new

The Mary Tyler Moore Show-Seasons3-7, any news (1 Viewer)

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
Has anybody heard any news about whether Fox has decided to release more Mary? What I think they should do is after Mash is done-maybe by December of next year, they could step up the release of Mary then-eh? And of course the Bob Newhart Show and Rhoda!! Yeah!!!! Maybe Dave Lambert could find out something for us Mary fans. Thank you.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I think they're still charting the sales of Season 2 to see when they need to release the next season set, but the response to Season 2's release was big enough where we should get at least one set next year.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
It's a shame that good quality shows that appeal to a more mature audience are not selling as well as the shows that appeal to a younger audience. Adults need to buy more of their favorite shows on DVD so that there will be more of an audience for these type of releases and we will hopefully get more of the kind. When classic shows are not selling well then that's a problem. Even shows like Cheers, which are selling, don't seem to be getting stocked at the major retailers or are not being featured prominently.

According to Amazon, today Season 2 is # 33 and Season 1 is #48, on Fox's top 100 dvd sales. I would think that these numbers warrant further releases of season sets. Considering that I have seen no ads anywhere for the release of season 2 (July 26), imo, these figures are quite respectful.

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
Here's another impressive number, imo. As of early a.m. on 9-24, Roseanne Season 1 has an Amazon sales rank of 523. MTM Season 2 has a rank of 396. Even more impressive when you factor in that MTM Season 2 was released 5 weeks before Roseanne. Yes, I realize that the MTM set is much higher quality than the Roseanne set, but I would have thought that would have easily been offset by the fact that Rosanne is a much more recent show.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
3 of the 4 Best Buys in Vancouver (BC) didn't have it. I had to drive to the furthest one away, (Coquitlam) spending $4.00 in gas so I could use a $5.00 coupon. If it weren't for the coupon I would've ordered it online anyway.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I am hoping beyond all hope that Fox will release the rest of Mary and I desperately have to have Rhoda. Phyliss would be nice, but if Phyliss does indeed come out, I doubt that much will be done to restore it. The same with Rhoda.

If Fox doesn't want to release any of their classic shows like Mary, Rhoda, Phyliss, Room 222 then they should farm them out to Sony. Sony at least would make a serious effort to release as many seasons as possible. I know folks have issues with Sony releases, namely Mad About You and the Jeffersons, but it looks like they are getting better. I'd much rather that Fox farm the shows out to Sony and have Sony get them out there then have them collecting dust in the Fox vaults.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
I was under the impression that the Amazon rankings were done on a daily basis. Is that the case? If so, I don't think that means much.

The daily ratings do reflect the popularity of the titles - if TMTMS is ranking #30 on the Fox list and #300 on the overall Amazon list, this should indicate strong sales. TMTMS leading up to its release in July was ranking about #30. Since then, it's been hovering around the #300 mark. Not bad. I just hope that retail street sales are just as strong.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's been two months since the release, and the masters were ready for 3 years. Too soon to pass judgement.

They probably haven't even made the masters for season 3 yet.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Season 3, coming up! -- January 10 to be exact.

This is good news because while the first two seasons weren't bad, season 3 (in my opinion) is where the show got really good. I think this has to do with a change of focus. The first two seasons were heavily focused on Mary; in the third season, the supporting characters got more important, and you got great episodes like the one where Lou buys a bar, or the episode where Phyllis thinks her brother might be interested in Rhoda (with a famous punchline). And even the Mary episodes got funnier; this is the season of "Put on a Happy Face," the famous episode where everything goes wrong for Mary on the night of an awards show.

Also season 3 introduces Georgette to the show (Sue Ann turns up in season 4).

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yes, yes, yes! I'm so glad to hear this news. I was hoping that Fox wasn't going to give up on the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks