The Martian (2015) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tim Glover said:
is that a deeper and richer experience? I'm sure it is. And I really, really liked the film.
It is Tim. Much deeper and richer. And a quick easy read. [emoji106]

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I guess between THE WALK not doing well, CRIMSON PEAK falling fast, and SPECTRE not opening until the following week this suddenly made a large number of IMAX screens available.

Saw the movie a couple of days ago. Enjoyed it. Saw it in one of those ULTRAAVX theatres, (whatever that means), but still found the picture a little dim with the glasses. Didn't have that problem with THE WALK in IMAX 3D so might need to go check out THE MARTIAN again.

I guess the one problem for me was I didn't feel, for one minute, that he was really in peril. Still, I would definitely recommend it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
GlennF said:
I guess the one problem for me was I didn't feel, for one minute, that he was really in peril. Still, I would definitely recommend it.

What??? You meant the relentless shots of the astronaut playing disco music and cracking jokes didn't convey peril and doom to you??? :lol:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
I saw it but it's tempting to see it again in IMAX (the theater relatively close to me with a real IMAX screen does appear to be playing it. But wondering if it's worth it. I saw it first in 3D on a pretty big screen (probably close to the size of a lie-max) and since on a real IMAX screen the presentation will simply be letterboxed anyway would there be a large difference?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Will, here's my take on IMAX:

I think their 15/70 format was one of the most breathtaking things I've ever witnessed. It's a shame that it's all but extinct now, but such is life. So we're left with their DLP digital projectors, unless you live in one of about half a dozen locations that have the new laser system.

To my eyes, the difference between standard digital projection and IMAX digital projection isn't as huge of a jump as the difference between standard digital and IMAX 70mm, but I still think there's a noticeable difference.

IMAX digital uses two projectors. On a 3D movie like The Martian, one projector will be for the left eye and the other for the right. The brightness will be better than standard digital 3D and that alone can make a huge difference. RealD 3D on the other hand uses a single projector and super fast shutter alternating left and right eyes, and that method ends up taking away a lot of the brightness.

The other thing I love about IMAX is they care about quality, which hasn't always been my experience with standard screens. A regular 3D presentation in my area is usually $19. IMAX is $21. So for two bucks extra I get a guarantee that the movie will be properly projected. At the end of each IMAX showing they flash an email address for their Chief Quality Officer - and he is very responsive to emails whether it's a compliment or a complaint. Any time I've seen something go wrong at IMAX (it's rare but it has happened a couple times), they've made it right. I can't say the same for regular movie theater screens.

So speaking from my own experiences, IMAX has earned my loyalty.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's not the Globes. It's the studios behind the films submitting them in these categories. I blame the studios.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
It's not the Globes. It's the studios behind the films submitting them in these categories. I blame the studios.
You're right but the Golden Globes shouldn't have even let the movie go in that category because it ultimately makes them look stupid. The Martian was probably in my top 3 movies this year (so far) and I hope that if it gets nominated that it literally gets zero votes because it's not a comedy. I assume movies like Inside Out, Spy and probably Trainwreck will get nominations but if I was a voter, I'd vote for Paul Blart 2 or Hot Tub Time Machine 2 before The Martian simply on principle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks