What's new

The Magnificent Ambersons, Info? (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I just finished watching the film that came with my Kane Blu-Ray, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any video clips, interviews, etc. about the film, seeing as how the DVD was barebones... I am interested in this film as it is one of Welles' best works.

Anything would be great!

Also, does anyone know of a good biography of Welles?

thanks!

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I think there was some bonus material on the Criterion Collection laserdisc.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I don't know much about Ambersons or any other videos, but I did read a great bio of Welles quite some time ago called "Citizen Welles". It appears to be out of print, but is available rather cheap in the used market. There are several other well reviewed bios on Amazon.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
There is a book by Robert Carringer that does a complete reconstruction of Ambersons based on the existing cutting continuity: http://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-Ambersons-Reconstruction-Robert-Carringer/dp/0520078578. The extras on the Criterion laser disc also did a very good job of filling in a lot of the missing material to give you a better idea of what Welles originally had in mind. It's a shame that Criterion didn't release Ambersons on DVD, but perhaps they'll get the blu-ray and we'll see the extras back where they belong. As far as bios on Welles, you need to read several different books to get a full picture, including the one by Peter Bogdonovich on conversations with Welles. The people I know who knew Welles have said it's very much like being able to sit at the table with him and eavesdrop on the conversation. The book "Despite the System" is also very good: http://www.amazon.com/Despite-System-Hollywood-Studios-Cappella/dp/B005Q6WR2C/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323655555&sr=1-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks