What's new

The Magician 1973 (Bill Bixby) DVD Campaign (1 Viewer)

Lee Davies

Agent
Tony, thank you: I do know how to vote. I am saying that when you are new, it is confusing. (you posted the same window twice, btw...) Confusing in the sense that, after the search, you have to know to click "update user selections" and if you click on the box to add a comment it gets real confusing. Again, there is not a clearly marked box that tells you "VOTE NOW" or "CLICK TO VOTE".
And when you have voted, you have to figure out by yourself to click on the show title to see a page with the number of votes.

I feel that all this should be more clearly explained because, well let's face it, there are instructions on a shampoo bottle, and a lot of people who don't know much about PC's may EASILY get confused at the site. (Again, I've gotten feedback...) I am saying this very respectfully, it's a great site but Gord and David Lambert need to know that some people (in the previously mentioned categories) are going to give up, and that's sad.

(Again, there are a LOT of people who will buy a show they loved when they find it on DVD but won't go through the trouble if they don't know where to click!)

Thank you.
LEE

Linda: I went to the Feedback section but I don't understand what is it that you are saying or implying. Are you saying that I shouldn't post about a TV show?? I thought this was the right forum for this?? Perhaps can you PM me??

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

thanks lee i didnt realize what i did.
anyway i dont mean to be condesending, but it doesnt seem too hard.

i do see what you mean by the over-explaining how to do, it on the site tho'.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Lee...

I'm not sure what it is that you don't understand.

I was simply attempting to point you toward another forum which might help you to obtain your goal...another forum in which The Powers That Be might see your request, and in which you might find some additional support for your effort. That forum is designed specifically for such endeavors.

I also noted that most of the posts in that forum tend to be requests for movies, rather than TV shows...just read the thread titles and you'll see. But, I further noted that TV show requests are also posted there.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
Lee, yes I did make sure that I voted on the 1973 version. :)
And, yes Dave I would buy it. I've only seen one or two episodes when sci-fi aired it and would like to see more episodes and more of Bill's work on dvd as well.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
The problem is that everyone learns differently and likes instructions in a different format. I could probably write 3 different sets of instructions for various people, but then it would be confusing because they wouldn't know which set of instructions to follow.

Lee, how would you tell people to vote on the site? Maybe I could use that as a basis for some new instructions, or shorter instructions to go along with the ones that are already there.

Gord

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Yes, you absolutely said that. Thanks for being clear on that; it's just that you said it in such a brief way that I wanted to re-iterate the point.

My apologies if I made it sound like that wasn't your intent; I know it was!

I think that between Gord's note and this one, we've addressed your concerns that my post generated. But if I missed anything, please let us know.

Lee Davies

Agent
Thank you Randy, Gord and David for your replies.

Gord, this is what I personally think would make your excellent site easier to figure out for those people who either A]don't have the leisure time I do to spend online or B]need instructions on shampoo bottles:

The first steps are great until you get to the window "Search Criteria" (as cleverly posted here by TonyD)

Instead of the "button" reading "Update User Selections", why not change that to: "Vote Now" or "Click to Vote"? Then,ideally, we should be taken to a page that says "Thank you for your vote".

When I voted (for the first time), I had no way of telling if my vote had been counted because I didn't know where the votes were at to start with. Even now, when I want to see the votes, I must not only log in (which is fine but why not allow non-members to see where the votes are at?) but also "mock vote". Meaning I have to cast a vote that won't count, since rightfully so, we can only vote once. Why not have a way to see where the votes are at without going through the "Update User Selections" all over again? (I would do this by allowing all people, not just members, to click on "TV show Voting" without loging in first, to view where a particular show's votes are at.)

This might give non-members an incentive to participate and therefore register. Yes, I again am talking about people who would buy a DVD. A lot of people, come voting time (think elections here) tell themselves "why bother? I'm only one person, my vote won't count." Well if they see the votes are at say 291 they might think "this ain't so bad after all, I really want this DVD, let me vote and see if it doesn't go to 300 by the end of the week?"

Just an insight on how people think. At any rate, and I don't think I've said this before, Gord thank you very, very much for all the work you do to help fans be able to buy their favorite show on DVD. I personally think you do a superb job. The above is in no way, shape or form, a negative critic, merely a suggestion (or "constructive" criticism very respectfully given)

Thank you for listening and taking the fans opinions into consideration, that is absolutely commandable.
Sincerely,
LEE

Lee Davies

Agent
Gord,

This is a set of instructions I've been using to pass the word along to other fans of "The Magician" and 70's TV:

"Please register at tvshows on dvd (it’s free).[NOTE: I still can't post URLs at this forum] They will instantly email you a password. (They will not spam you or share your email with anyone else. They just don’t do that. Just uncheck the “yes” box for “receive email?” and check “no” if you don't want any further emails from them).

Use the password to log in at their site and click (at left) “TV show voting”. Enter “The Magician” in the search box.

Make sure to enter 1970 in the drop box for "decade.” Otherwise two Magicians will appear. In that case, please, make sure to vote for the 1973 one.

Then click the box for “Season” and click “update user selections”. You have now voted. You may now click “The Magician” to view a page that indicates how many votes "The Magician" has received.

Hope it helps.
LEE

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I don't have any plans to release the information for non-members, or people that aren't interested in the show. It's there so fans can keep track of where there show is. When we first put the site up we didn't even allow fans to see the voting for the site.

Too much emphasis is placed on the rank of the show. Yes, it's nice to know where it ranks, but a show may be ranked 342nd on the site, but if that's the only show the company owns then it's more likely to come out than a show ranked 138th. I know fans will try to "beat" shows ahead of them by registering for fake accounts, which creates other problems. Plus there are sooo many other factors that decide what is released and when.

I'll look into some of your other suggestions

Gord

Lee Davies

Agent
Interesting, (about the ranking)! Thank you Gord.

I still think that there are genuine series fans out there that would vote if they were convinced their vote does help make a difference. Seeing the numbers at your site could definitely be an incentive for those people (non-membres yet, but legitimate fans/DVD buyers nevertheless) who kinda wait for others to act before they catch on or "follow". Not hardcore fans, for sure, but definitely future paying "customers".

Well hopefully "The Magician" can receive enough attention here from legitimate fans who will be happy to be able to purchase this series on DVD.
Thank you again.
LEE

Lee Davies

Agent
Great Picture Mark!!! I wish I knew how to do that. I can't see an option to upload photos and copy + paste ain't working for me.

At any rate, there is a website where short clips of the series can be viewed. Since I can't post urls, here it is badly broken:

california-magic DOT com/vpreviews.html

Before the above, don't add the 3 w's but the H t t p colon and double forward slashes. (Sorry I tried breaking it up but it still wouldn't let me post it!!)

Cindy V

Agent
I also voted for the show. I loved it when it first ran. I will not go into how old I was at the time. I was happy to see this thread as I have not thought about the show in decades. I also liked the Hal Linden 'The Magician' I am a mystery buff and when it is combined nicely with magic or scary stories I am in coach potato heaven.

I beleive that Levenson and Link wrote for both, didn't they?

Lee Davies

Agent
Thank you Cindy. To the best of my knowledge, the two names you mentioned are not writers for "The Magician" 1973. Writers of this series include Marion Hargrove, William Burrough, Edward J. Lasko and Gerald DiPego among others.

Guest stars include William Shatner, Mark Hamil, Carol Lynley and Linda Day George.

Lee Davies

Agent
Perhaps can you all vote for this DVD if you'd buy it??
At tvshowsondvd site...

Please see my other thread at TV shows in the forum.
Thanks
LEE

Lee Davies

Agent
Someone posted another thread on this that I just found from back in May.
SOmeone asks a question of Paramount. Do execs cruise this site, does anyone know??

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

Lee...yes, many of the studio "powers that be" do read at least one particular forum on this site, a forum set up for that SPECIFIC purpose. That forum is the one to which I attempted to direct you in my two previous posts. It is intended SPECIFICALLY as a forum for fans to post requests for projects which they would like to see on DVD.

The description of the forum reads:

"Studio and Manufacturer Feedback

Ever wonder just how important Home Theater Forum really is? Consider this: Feedback from HTF members has resulted in studios deciding to commit certain titles to DVD! So, post your requests to the studios here. And if you have feedback about current releases, this is the place to share them. Important: The HTF administrative staff expects members to post in a professional manner."

Sounds to me like exactly the forum in which you would want to post your campaign, since such requests are its sole purpose.

LizH

Second Unit
Thanks for the tip, Linda! :)

I went over and put in a request for my beloved Birds. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks