What's new

The Lucy Show: The Official Second Season ... coming out on July 13th, 2010! (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat

Let's call it a wash, shall we? Everyone has an opinion on what their collection should be. FOr me, it's a purist, as-presented point of view. For you, it's an idealist, as-it-should-have-been point of view. Beauty of the hobby is it can go either way, depending on the preferences of the viewer. No one is wrong in that perspective.

Well, I would never, for instance, watch the first two seasons of "Bewitched" in the colorized versions, because they were FILMED in black and white and shown that way (of course) originally.

But "The Lucy Show" was filmed in color, and I'm sure Desilu wanted it shown in color (in fact, I have a dim memory of reading something about this in an old TV Guide.)

So, going by the creators' original intentions, I still say "The Lucy Show" Seasons 2 and 3 should be watched in color -- but I do understand the other point of view.

It's funny how we purists get outraged at "colorization," as well we should. But CBS "black-and-white-ized" two seasons of "The Lucy Show," and that's just as outrageous, isn't it?

"Hazel" was the same as "The Lucy Show": first season (except for one episode) filmed in b&w, the rest in color. But it was on NBC, so it was shown in color. If "The Lucy Show" had been on NBC, it would have been shown in color, too.

(We didn't have a color set, so I watched the color "Hazel" in b&w -- but if they ever release those color seasons on DVD, I'm certainly not turning off the color so it matches my memory.)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Ron Lee Green

If you're really trying to replicate your 1960s viewing experience, wouldn't you also want to adjust the sharpness on your TV to make the picture softer, as well? Even with the color turned off, I'm sure the picture quality on the DVDs is going to be much sharper than it looked on the old TVs back then.

True, plus you'd have to watch just one ep per week, and watch them non-stop. No replaying scenes or bits. And once or twice a "season", you'd need to turn off the show for a few minutes (which you can't watch later) and tape a sign on the TV that says"We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please stay tuned." LOL.

Not me. I can't wait to see them the way they look and sound now, not like they did then. But as I said, to each his own. If that's what someone enjoys, go for it!!

As for some actors looking older, they WERE older. They looked like what they looked like. Why try to make them look like they did years earlier? Even in the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hours they looked much older than in some earlier ILL's. People age. There's nothing negative about that except our attitudes toward it.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Since it's been brought up, in this second season of "The Lucy Show," Lucille Ball was 52 and Jimmy Garrett, playing her son Jerry, was 9. That means Lucy Carmichael was 43 when she had Jerry. In real life, Lucille Ball was almost 40 and 41 1/2 when she had her two children.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I will be watching season two of The Lucy Show in color, but it will seem different or unusual to me. I'm not saying that this makes it bad. In this case, it may be very good, as this season of Lucy was originally shot in color (as opposed to being colorized).

When the big switch to color occurred in the 1960's, all of the shows that switched seemed different to me, but most shows were enhanced by color. After a while, the newness wore off, and color became the norm (for all but a few shows) from that point onward.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Since it's the 4th of July and I'm feeling all patriotic and feisty let me tackle a few posts directed at me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMor

Gary "standing up for truth, justice and the American way" O.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'll say this: If Lucy seems too old for you in Season 2 of "The Lucy Show," you better avoid the final seasons of "Here's Lucy" at all costs! Her voice had lost all flexibility .... she couldn't do any more physical stunts ... and she couldn't even do facial expressions, because her skin was taped behind her ears, because she was medically unable to have a face lift.

I'm sorry to say these things about such a beloved actress, but they're in all the books written about her.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

I'll say this: If Lucy seems too old for you in Season 2 of "The Lucy Show," you better avoid the final seasons of "Here's Lucy" at all costs!

I do. For all the reasons you gave, plus the fact that I just don't find the "Here's Lucy" format funny at all.

Gary "seeing her in those later years really was painful for me" O.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

I'll say this: If Lucy seems too old for you in Season 2 of "The Lucy Show," you better avoid the final seasons of "Here's Lucy" at all costs! Her voice had lost all flexibility .... she couldn't do any more physical stunts ... and she couldn't even do facial expressions, because her skin was taped behind her ears, because she was medically unable to have a face lift.

I'm sorry to say these things about such a beloved actress, but they're in all the books written about her.

The tape didn't always stop her, Joe. Check out her facial contortions when she bites into the pickle in the S5 ep, "Lucy is Really in a Pickle." I'll put her performance of that bit up against anything she did on ILL. Of course, that's the only one I can think of the later HL years,

And guys, if you think LB looks a tad too old to play a mother of a 9 year old, stay FAR away from the Leave it to Beaver set. Madge Blake plays Larry Mondello's mother and Whitey's parents look more like GRANDparents! LOL. Scary, indeed!

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
But what will you do about the Lucille Ball Comedy Hour? CBS presented it in color even though it ran during the end of Season 2 of The Lucy Show. Will you deny Lucy her hues on the special?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMor

Gary "OK, this is getting too silly even for me to continue - have at it guys" O.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Yes, Gary, I know the definition of "tad." It's just that I consider a tad something too small to have to adjust my set's color for.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Here are my latest random, unsolicited comments:

Yes, Lucy was pretty good in the pickle episode. However, it's the exception that proves the rule. I don't know for sure, but that might be the only time in "Here's Lucy" she was a glimmer of her old self.

Now, on to Larry Mondello's mother. Larry had much older siblings, who were already married. It's fairly clear that Larry came along later in life for the Mondellos.

The real question is why Mr. Mondello was always in Cincinnati. I think we saw him once when Larry was in a school play.

The really funny thing is how they say that June Cleaver is from East St. Louis, Illinois. If you've ever been there, you know that June would fit in there like Queen Elizabeth in McDonalds.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Thanks, Brent. Looks like another one out of the ballpark. It's clear that those who love Lucy are in charge of added value for all the Desilu and Lucille Ball Productions titles. Here's hoping they sell well so that we can get all of Lucy's television work on DVD.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Halfway through Disc One tonight. The eps look GORGEOUS. The colors just POP. And in the first ep, Lucy is wearing a tuxedo jacket and a leotard and her legs are the bomb!! She was one hot dish.

"In Shakespeare, characters always die alphabetically!"

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I picked my copy up on release day (July 13th, 2010) at a local target at approx. 2 in the afternoon. There were only two copies left when I got there.

I've already gotten through disc 1 and working on disc 2. I am up to the 11th episode (#41 of the series). So far, I am really enjoying this set a lot. The color looks SO great! I have noticed some lines and additional footage in episodes which I haven't seen before.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Gary "my set should arrive by Friday" O.

Believe it nor not, no. I was just caught by surprise by how great she looked in that scene. Now she shows her age more in the "Lucy Goes Duck Hunting" ep.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks