What's new

The Lucy Show: The Official Fourth Season ... Arrives on April 26th, 2011! (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I wanted to add something that I have always wondered about. Lucy in all her series always has placed on her sets a window into the kitchen even in "Life With Lucy". I also found a very sad interview with Lucy on you tube with Joan Rivers about her last come back. She stated she cried and cried over the critics. She states it twice even to make the point. The Life with Lucy clips did not look that bad to me. 8 aired and 13 made they claim. I would buy them because it is the last of TV's Queen of Comedy. I am going to stop at season 4 with the Lucy Show. I did already with season 3 of Here's Lucy. I wish I could go on but money forbids it at this time.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'll get them all, mainly to support the excellent way they are presenting classic tv on dvd. This is the way ALL classic series should be done on dvd, if time and money permitted (which of course, sadly, they don't). But, also, I still love Lucy and usually find one bit worthwhile in most eps. Plus, the parade of guest stars is still kinda fun to see. Especially since so many are no longer with us.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Mark Collins
I wanted to add something that I have always wondered about. Lucy in all her series always has placed on her sets a window into the kitchen even in "Life With Lucy". I also found a very sad interview with Lucy on you tube with Joan Rivers about her last come back. She stated she cried and cried over the critics. She states it twice even to make the point. The Life with Lucy clips did not look that bad to me. 8 aired and 13 made they claim. I would buy them because it is the last of TV's Queen of Comedy. I am going to stop at season 4 with the Lucy Show. I did already with season 3 of Here's Lucy. I wish I could go on but money forbids it at this time.

Yeah, the critics were awful - they said some of the meaniest, nastiest things of and to Ms. Ball. It was bad enough that her show was a failure and put a lot of people out of work but they just kept on hammering. And keep in mind that this was in 1986 - the same year that Desi Arnaz died. So much negatively was going on for Lucy in that year so it is no wonder why she was in tears.

I have seen just about all 13 episodes of her short-lived show and must I say it is one of those shows that grows on you over time. I wasn't too thrilled with the supporting cast (except for Gale Gordon, of course) ... they were just too flat. And there were a couple of episodes that were reminiscent of earlier Lucy shows. And I hate to say it, but Lucy's voice had gotten so deep and hoarse that she sounded almost like a man would. It kind of me reminded me of Suzanne Pleshette of The Bob Newhart Show. Nonetheless, it was a treat to see Lucy in a different setting again and in a somewhat different sitcom.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I went ahead and confidently ordered SEASON 2 of THE LUCY SHOW after having just been completely delighted with SEASON 1. I loved just about every episode featuring Lucy and Viv, and it was highly worthy of a continuation of I LOVE LUCY for Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance! I can't remember the last time I was so excited about seeing TV episodes for the first time and eagerly anticipated every next installment. On the other hand, I have been unable to want to watch more than the first few episodes off SEASON 1 of HERE'S LUCY... and I've still got SEASON 2 sealed. I guess I'll return to it one day, but for now SEASON 2 of THE LUCY SHOW cannot arrive fast enough.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Joe, you'll like Season 2. They downplayed the kids and it was more Lucy and Viv. Of course, starting with the fourth episode, a lot of episodes involved the bank in some way, so Gale Gordon as Mr. Mooney would have something to do.

It's starting with Season 3 that the quality declines, and Season 4 is like a totally different show.

The reverse happens with HERE'S LUCY. The last three seasons are better than the first three, although they're still not very good. I could never in good conscience recommend HERE'S LUCY to anyone except rabid Lucy fans.

Srjw

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
just finished up season 2, dang I am behind. I never knew there was a place to discuss TvonDVD, awesome

DoreSchary

Agent
Real Name
Dore
Season 3 of "The Lucy Show" has been nominated for "best vintage TV show on disc." I hope everyone who enjoyed the set will please take a moment to vote at:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/home-media-awards-vote

Thank you very much!

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by DoreSchary

Season 3 of "The Lucy Show" has been nominated for "best vintage TV show on disc." I hope everyone who enjoyed the set will please take a moment to vote at:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/home-media-awards-vote

Thank you very much!

Will do!

Just want to remind everyone that we have only 15 days left to go! Just think ... in about two weeks this DVD set will be here.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Just think fellow Lucy Show fans, this spectacular 4th season DVD set will be at our fingertips in one week! In seven days (or even less) you will get to see Lucy disguised as a Robot, Lucy going to work as a stuntman, Lucy dating the legendary Dean Martin, Lucy running into a tribe of Indians and becoming a Rain Goddess, Lucy attending a Hollywood premiere and meeting various stars, Lucy trying to a land a date with the help of Joan, Lucy performing a Charlie Chaplin sketch, Lucy acquiring super powers, Lucy having to keep quiet for 24 hours to win a prize, Lucy working as a talent scout, Lucy getting into one jam after another at Marineland, Lucy directing a boys' choir at a Christmas show, Lucy becoming a "mother" to a pregnant horse, Lucy experiencing life as a secret agent, Lucy going to work for Mr. Mooney for the VERY first time, ect! There is definitely more adventures in the life of Lucy Carmichael to come. Seven more days, guys ... only seven more! :)

Don't be the last to pick this up and miss the FUN!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
When Lucy becomes a super woman, she carves the roast beef and carves completely through the kitchen counter. If you press the button on your brain marked "Disengage," it can be funny stuff.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff
When Lucy becomes a super woman, she carves the roast beef and carves completely through the kitchen counter. If you press the button on your brain marked "Disengage," it can be funny stuff.

It may be corny; however, Lucy having superpowers IS an interesting concept!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
There aren't many comedy shows that make me laugh out loud but I'm happy to say that TLS season 1 did just that! A while ago I bought a "Best Of" of the Lucy shows. I loved the Shower episode so much, I had to get season 1 as soon as it came out. I watched the first disc and then put it away while getting sidetracked with other dvds. About 3 weeks ago I pulled it out determined to watch the rest of the season. I loved it. One of the best things about the set is being able to watch the show with original commercials! Well, every time I watched a funny episode, I had to get my 14 year old daughter and show her the skit. My daughter then asked if she could watch the shows herself. One afternoon I walked by her bedroom door and heard her laughing like I've never heard her before. I said, "what are you laughing at?" She said, "I'm watching The Lucy Show! Dad, I'm laughing so hard, I'm afraid I'm going to pee my pants!" I was glad to know that an old 1960's black and white tv show could make her laugh so hard! My eight year old son also watched it with her and he likes the show as well. He told me he liked the episode where Lucy was in the trash can at the baseball game. One of my favorite moments was when Lucy was under the restaurant table! My daughter is begging me to get season 2.

I was never a huge fan of ILL. I remember watching it as a kid and there were some episodes that creeped me out or scared me ( I know that sounds strange but a little kid can be quite impressionable!). For example: when Lucy's nose catches on fire, I was terrified! I'm thinking OMG her nose is on fire!! Her playing Harpo Marx creeped me out (of course, at the time Harpo himself creeped me out). Also when Lucy was dressed up as a dragon, it scared me! So I have some childhood issues to deal with. I just put ILL season 1 in my netflix que, so I'm curious to see if my daughter likes it as much as TLS. This will be my first time watching ILL in more than 30 years.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Bob S. - I am glad that you are exposing The Lucy Show first to your children. There have been WAY TOO MANY instances where younger viewers were exposed to I Love Lucy firsthand and then formed a bias against her other shows. There even have been times when they easily got turned off with the TLS's first season as the result of their discovering that it had no Ricky or Fred in it. Hopefully, your kids will have formed fond memories of this series before they discover her 50s show.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I love it when younger people like the older things. As a kid, I liked many things that were "old" (that is, "before my time"): the Little Rascals, the Three Stooges, the older Warner Bros. cartoons, etc.

I'm sure you know, though, that the first two seasons of THE LUCY SHOW are the funny seasons. It's very "hit or miss" after that, for the rest of Lucille Ball's TV career.

The best Lucy episodes are the ones where she gets herself into some kind of mess and has to get out of it. There are a lot like that in the first two seasons. After that, more episodes center around something happening TO Lucy, and they aren't as clever, funny or interesting.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Originally Posted by Theodore J. Mooney

Bob S. - I am glad that you are exposing The Lucy Show first to your children. There have been WAY TOO MANY instances where younger viewers were exposed to I Love Lucy firsthand and then formed a bias against her shows. There even have been times when they easily get turned off with the first season as the result of their discovering that it has no Ricky or Fred in it. Hopefully, your kids will have formed fond memories of this series before they discover her 50s series.

The whole problem, though, is what you casually call "her 50s series" is the most beloved, successful, famous and highly regarded television series of all time.

The only way anyone can enjoy THE LUCY SHOW and HERE'S LUCY is to pretend that I LOVE LUCY never existed.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff
The whole problem, though, is what you casually call "her 50s series" is the most beloved, successful, famous and highly regarded television series of all time.

The only way anyone can enjoy THE LUCY SHOW and HERE'S LUCY is to pretend that I LOVE LUCY never existed.

I agree with how people view her 50s series, I Love Lucy, in television's heritage. That show definitely couldn't be topped by any other. However, it becomes a problem when people take that sentiment and turn it against Lucille Ball's other classics. Granted, no show can ever be an I Love Lucy but why must they be severely critical of The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy compared to other shows? Heck, even the follow-up late 50s program, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, gets criticized. Whatever happened to accepting a show as it is? The other half of the problem is when people establish a bias against her 60s and 70s series --- which most likely they discovered the 50s series first and formed fond memories of that. Plus, let's not forget that in the past the 50s series has been in syndication longer and heavier than her 60s and 70s series. And another thing ... there have been hardcore, baised I Love Lucy fans that have given The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy a bad reputation. That in itself has probably caused even more damage to the viewership of those LUCY programs as potential viewers were easily convinced by those hardcore ILL fans to not give them a chance.

FYI, Joe ... I enjoy ALL of Ms. Ball's shows. I LOVE LUCY existing doesn't take away the enjoyment I get from the other classics that came afterwards: THE LUCY-DESI COMEDY HOUR, THE LUCY SHOW, and HERE'S LUCY. That may be the case for you but it's not the case for everyone.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by Theodore J. Mooney

Quote:

I agree with how people view her 50s series, I Love Lucy, in television's heritage. That show definitely couldn't be topped by any other. However, it becomes a problem when people take that sentiment and turn it against Lucille Ball's other classics. Granted, no show can ever be an I Love Lucy but why must they be severely critical of The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy compared to other shows? Heck, even the follow-up late 50s program, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, gets criticized. Whatever happened to accepting a show as it is? The other half of the problem is when people establish a bias against her 60s and 70s series --- which most likely they discovered the 50s series first and formed fond memories of that. Plus, let's not forget that in the past the 50s series has been in syndication longer and heavier than her 60s and 70s series. And another thing ... there have been hardcore, baised I Love Lucy fans that have given The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy a bad reputation. That in itself has probably caused even more damage to the viewership of those LUCY programs as potential viewers were easily convinced by those hardcore ILL fans to not give them a chance.

FYI, Joe ... I enjoy ALL of Ms. Ball's shows. I LOVE LUCY existing doesn't take away the enjoyment I get from the other classics that came afterwards: THE LUCY-DESI COMEDY HOUR, THE LUCY SHOW, and HERE'S LUCY. That may be the case for you but it's not the case for everyone.

I've watched the first season of The Lucy Show and the first two seasons of Here's Lucy on DVD and have found all of them entertaining. The first season of TLS is a scream. A few of the HL episodes are silly, but Lucy the Fixer is one of the funniest episodes I've ever seen. My chest hurt from laughing so hard. Seeing Uncle Harry's reactions to his home being trashed is hilarious. Also, the special features on these DVDs are incredible. I look forward to each new release.

I have to admit that I never watched I Love Lucy and wasn't planning to until I purchased the first two seasons on DVD last year. ILL is easily the funniest comedy of the 50s and one of the best of all time, but watching it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of her other two shows.

Bring on Season 4 and keep them coming!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Joe Lugoff and Mike, I thought of you two last night when I came home. I have a friend living with me for a couple of months while he try's to establish himself in Southern California. He's a major Here's Lucy fan and has made watching these season sets a joy for me. He's also into Father Knows Best, Marcus Welby and now Car 54. When I casually asked, "Well, what are we watching tonight?" he answered, "After the day I had, I need some laughs... So I guess 'Here's Lucy' is out."

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray ), and admire the work that goes into the DVD set; that alone justifies the cost.

A lot of it is has to do with context. I Love Lucy and the early Lucy Show were slapstick comedies with a logical grounding. For whatever reason, they changed that to an anything-can-happen, logic-be-damned universe.

But I have been desensitized by how I saw my beloved Simpsons go to Hell in a handbasket and just keep plodding on pointlessly. Compared to the decline and fall of Homer Simpson, this is nothing. Of course that was one show and not three shows with overlapping personnel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks