What's new

The Love Boat (1 Viewer)

ual191

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
It sure is quiet about the Love Boat on DVD.....I wonder if there is a rights issue?
Anybody in the know??

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I would think that maybe FANTASY ISLAND didn't sell well. There was a sort of preliminary announcement that it was possibly in the works, but then nothing.

ual191

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I would think the Love Boat would sell better....I hope it comes out soon!

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Yes I've since have been on 2 cruises and on my 3rd this Xmas. I hope we hear something soon on this. I really enjoy cruises.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Got a bit off-track there, including missing my favorite line about "life's sweetest reward". I must sing this song at least a couple of times a month. Here's the proper lyrics:

• Love, exciting and new! Come Aboard; we're expecting you.
    Love, life's sweetest reward. Let it flow...it floats back to yooooou!
    The Looooove Boat: soon we'll be making another run.
    The Love Boat promises something for everyone.
    Set a course for adventure, your mind on a new romance.
    And love won't hurt anymore. It's an open smile, on a friendly shore.
    It's love! Welcome aboard, it's loooooooooooooo-ove!

Despite reports from Sept. 2005 that it was coming, originated at SitcomsOnline, we've heard nothing about this pretty much for forever.

But with Paramount getting ready to finish up Charmed, and with 90210, Melrose and Dynasty pretty much under way, maybe there's room on PHE's schedule soon for another Spelling show, eh? :)

I'd like to humbly point out to PHE that the one news item we posted a year and a half ago for The Love Boat has more hits than the typical news post for just about anything except maybe Charmed (which is still the most-voted-for show at our site). Hmmmm.

With cruise ship lines having gotten so competitive, one would think that the Princess Lines firm would throw some money Paramount's way to put out the DVD of Love Boat, since it's a possible way to "advertise" for people to consider taking a cruise on a modern-day ship in the Princess fleet!!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I think The Love Boat is one of those series that would do terribly on DVD.
After all, it been played endlessly to death in TV syndication since ABC cancelled weekly production in 1986. There have been TV movie sequels on the same network and the completely avoidable UPN sequel "Love Boat: The Next Wave" series.

And in recent years TV Land reran the original series for extended periods. No doubt they will bring it back again.

The only hour-long comedy series that I believe would sell well on DVD is Ally McBeal. But due to their cheapness in obtaining most of the music rights by the original artists, FOX shot themselves in the feet by releasing a "Best Of" with that series rather than coming out with the complete first season instead.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen this show since the early 80's. I remeber it being on TV Land, but if I remember correctly, it wasn't for very long(they have a very schizophrenic scheduling process, constantly changing) and that's about it.

I would buy every single season on dvd without a second thought. It was a great series, not only for laughs, but for good drama also. The Love Boat, and Fantasy Island remain 2 of my favorite shows.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
While it may have played endlessly in the 80's, I haven't seen it since.

It did air on TV Land several years ago, but as mentioned, only briefly. I remember I just got Tivo at the time, and was about to set it to record certain episodes, only to find it was no longer on the schedule.

Honestly, with the guest casts, I would think this would sell a lot better than most TV on DVD.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I only have 8 shows yet to be released on DVD on my want list. The Love Boat is one of them and i would buy every season they release. There had to be something to the sitcomsonline rumor a couple years ago. I don't think they would have just posted it unless someone at paramount told them so. So like Dave said perhaps they want to add another spelling show to the mix for release with charmed wrapping up. Here is hoping anyways!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I also think we're going to see this one on DVD sooner or later. How many S's get released is anyone's guess though. Sales, sales, sales.....

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
The Love Boat was on TvLand for a while at least a year or so, I know it went through the whole series a few times around but TVland chops up shows so much that I would buy the Love Boat in a heartbeat just to see it without all their edits. You really didn't get the real show if you watched it on TVLand, the edits were horrible.

ual191

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I just dont get how this show has been skipped for so long.
You know there are plenty of people who would buy it.
This was a classic and brings us back to the fun times.
I hope to see it by years end but I don't have high hopes.
WHo can we contact to express our interest in the Love Boat?

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Well there is sorta some good news on the Love Boat DVD front again. Last night on the program Extra they had a where are they now segment on the Love Boat. They mentioned the DVD set being in the works and hinted it would be out sooner rather than later. So we shall see but atleast it is something!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it was The Insider that had a piece on the show's actors yesterday- it announced that a set would come out next year. It makes sense since both The Insider and The Love Boat are owned by Paramount, so they had 'the inside word' within their home base.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks