What's new

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Beware, though. The CDN$ is worth more, at the moment, than a US$! Cees

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
While a lot has deservedly been said about the upgrade in video quality, I'd just like to just say I heard a notable uptick in audio quality with this release over the theatricals. Honestly, I felt the theatricals to not have the best surround field and except for the occasional back channel pan, not much from the back channel. Along with the quiet back channel, the score seemed to be a bit further back into the mix. With the Extended Editions, sounds like a "near field" mix. The score was much more prominent and beautiful. While the back channel activity was much more active whether it was filling in the rear surround field, or the distinct back channel sound over the ES encodes of the theatricals. Lastly there was a more intense LFE experience over the theatricals. The upgrade on each discs video quality was enough to upgrade, but the upgrade in audio quality really made these discs for me.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
We viewed the new "Fellowship" Blu-ray EE over the holiday weekend, and were blown away by both the incredible detail of the visuals and the new immersive audio presentation. As has been well documented, the DVD EE of this movie had an extremely heavy bass mix. So much so that I had to reduce my sub volume to almost zero whenever I played the disc just to be able to crank the rest of the movie up to acceptable audio levels. This new version not only provides a better surround experience but is also much more balanced in the bass department. The new color timing did not bother us in the least! That was "Much Ado About Nothing"!! Seriously, this new Blu-ray of "Fellowship" is now the *definitive* iteration of the movie as far as we're concerned!

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Outstanding and comprehensive review, Mr Yee! Thank you! :cool: I agree with the previous two posts about the significant upgrade in audio quality...I was VERY pleasantly surprised by the quality of the new non-HD audio mix (I use DTS 6.1 and DD 7.1). The balance is amazing, and the dialog is much more intelligible, with the acid test being Gandalf's mutterings being very clear to me now. AND I was viewing this while my wife slept next to me, so had the volume low and I could still hear absolutely everything. I have only viewed the first disc of FOTR so far, but I'm delighted by the pic and sound upgrade. Worth the wait! Looking forward to seeing the rest!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks