What's new

The Looney Tunes are HERE! (1 Viewer)

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
As for the Looney Tunes set, I'm undecided. I've bought other cartoons that I loved as a kid (Battle of the Planets, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Superfriends) and been disappointed to find that nostalgia alone wasn't enough to overlook their shortcomings as adult entertainment.
Looney Tunes are in a completely different class, as others have pointed out. These cartoons aren't limited TV animation like the cartoons you named above; they're fully animated cartoons, produced for movie theatres (and therefore aimed to appeal to adults as well as kids), with outstanding animation and design, musical scores with full orchestra, the best in comic timing and voice acting, etc. They don't have to depend on nostalgia appeal, and you don't have to make allowances for poor production values as in Rocky and Bullwinkle (which I love, but it's not in the Looney Tunes class as animation).

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I'm still not going to buy until I get a sneak preview first. I haven't seen a Looney Tunes cartoon since I was a kid (except the very unamusing "Carrotblanca", but I believe that's a more recent production than the classics).

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Why not rent the "Yankee Doodle Dandy" DVD? That has two cartoons that will be on the Golden Collection ("Yankee Doodle Daffy" and one of my favorites, "Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid"). Or rent the "Adventures of Robin Hood" DVD and watch the two Looney Tunes on Disc 2 ("Rabbit Hood" and "Robin Hood Daffy"). If you like these cartoons you're pretty sure to like the set.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I showed a 90-minute program of 35mm vintage Looney Tunes to an audience of over 400 people last March - about half adults and half kids - and it went over like gangbusters. I've *never* heard that much laughter from a movie audience before.

These cartoons are better than ever...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Time will never diminish the value of entertainment
the Looney Tunes cartoons provide.

They are undoubtably the best loved cartoons ever made.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yes, there is a PLAY ALL option.

Hey, I have a question.....

The Looney Tunes cartoons included on the
Warner Legends DVDs.....

Are they the remastered versions or are they
in questionable shape?

Haven;t gotten around to watching the supplements
on the LEGENDS set yet, except for the Cagney
documentaries.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
On the Warner Legends sets, only two of the cartoons were restored and remastered: BUGS BUNNY GETS THE BOID & YANKEE DOODLE DAFFY (both on the Yankee Doodle Dandy release). They both look sensational...sharp, colorful & retaining their original grain structure.

All the other cartoons on the Warner Legends releases were not "restored or remastered", but they all looked very, very good except for KATNIP KOLLEGE on the "Robin Hood" disc. While a "clean" transfer, the master used had pale/faded colors.

Even the non-restored cartoons like RABBIT HOOD were crisp looking, with beautiful colors.

I cannot wait for Tuesday and the GOLDEN COLLECTION!!!:)

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
The only two "restored" cartoons on the Warner Legends discs are the two that are also on the Golden Collection, "Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid" and "Yankee Doodle Daffy." Most of the others look acceptable, but indistinguishable from old VHS or laserdisc versions.

Mike Blais

Stunt Coordinator
can't wait until payday for these :)
Has anyone seen Bugs Bunny on Broadway? If it ever tours around again, make sure you see it! The cartoons are projected onto a giant screen and a live orchestra (VSO in my case) plays the music live. Seen it 3 times over the years and will go again in a heartbeat. How does the sound on the DVD's sound? Can't expect it to ever be close, but hopefully it's better than what i remember on tv.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do everything I can to protect packaging.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then remove that shrinkwrap ASAP. The plasticizers in it will ultimately cause discoloration of the slipcase!
i keep on the plastic shrink wrap on everything and have for over 20 years.

i have lp's that i bought in the 70's that still have shrink wrap on them.
not one object i own with shrink wrap has ever had any trouble do to the wrap still being on it.
almost all my ld's and dvd's with slip cases have the shrink wrap still on them.
i think it prevents wear and tear from just simple moving the cases on and off the shelf as well as keeping finger oils and dust off the cases, and i will always do this.
i even go as far as putting clear cellophane tape around the edges of the slip cases on the wrap to help keep it from tearing.

with the disney platinums that have no shrink wrap such as lion king and slepping beauty, snow white. i take it to my store i work in and shrink wrap them.

if i had a chance to get the ld sets of these cartoons i would still buy them and buy the dvd's.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The more I read this thread the more excited I am about next Tuesday, I agree that the Looney Toons are timeless cartoons that I find just as funny as I did 10 years ago. Like I said in the other thread, I know Coyote is going to fall off the cliff in the road runner cartoons, and yet I still always laugh when he does it. Same thing when I hear those classic words "Duck season. Fire!" uttered by Daffy, it will be a joy to watch these cartoons anytime I wish.

I'm glad the set has a play all option something sorely missing from the Complete Goofy and Mickey Mouse in B&W.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Damn, I was probably going to hold off until Christmas, but now I might pick this up while visiting New York, if the price is right ($40 or under). If not, I will just wait a few weeks.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I went to the local "Future Shop" to look for the Gold Collection. They had the premiere collection and the collections of new stuff, but the Gold collection was MIA.

It is the same case with the "Legends" box set. I just don't understand the ordering process for FS. They will order in the collected box set for stuff like "BATTLESTAR GALACTICA" and completely ignore boxsets of classics such as the Looney Tunes and Robin Hood. It blows me away. People in their ordering department should give their heads a shake.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Locally, it looks like the deluxe box is being handled cautiously by A&B Sound, because at this point, the only copies coming are special orders (:angry:), of which I am one. I think the buyers in their B.C. head office underestimate the sales potential of this version.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
From Jerry Beck's Cartoon Research website...
Thanks Dan and Keith for the info.

I was aware that they were remastered and knew the colors would be vibrant. My concern was that it was overdone, a concern shared by others as well.

David Ferris pointed out an interesting bit of information. Is this true?

I think in the back of my mind I always knew I would get the Golden collection. Guess I'll be joining the rest of you all in this purchase, but I'll defintitely hold on to the laserdiscs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks