1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Limbless Wonder Returns - A Big RAYMAN 3 HOODLUM HAVOC Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Forner, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Well-Known Member

I picked this one up earlier today on my way to work. Sadly, I have not had a chance to play it yet. I will have my first chance to try it out in a couple of hours and I can't wait! I'm a complete Rayman fanatic who is hoping that Ubi Soft makes us all proud. Naturally, I will get back to you all once I've had a couple of hours of play time to form my first impressions.

And before anyone asks, I can't find any information on the box saying whether or not the game is in Progressive Scan. To say that this disappoints me is a bit of an understatement. I'm hoping that this is merely an oversight by the packaging committee like with Splinter Cell on the Xbox. I'll confirm 480p support once I get home.

2. Andre F

Andre F Well-Known Member

I'm seeing mixed review on it so far. It looks good though...

3. JamesH

JamesH Well-Known Member

4. Jeffrey Forner

5. JamesH

JamesH Well-Known Member

6. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Well-Known Member

The Dreamcast version of 2 was worth waiting for (and was 16:9 480p), so I have no problem waiting for the best version of 3.

7. JoshF

JoshF Well-Known Member

*sigh*

Just enjoy the game and stop stressing over 5.1 and 480p.

Will it ever end?

8. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Well-Known Member

9. JamesH

JamesH Well-Known Member

Exactly. If Rayman 3 is anywhere near as good as Rayman 2, it's going to be a game I play through several times in the next few years.

Should I wait 2 weeks and get the version I'll be happy with? Or should I buy it now on impulse, and for the next few years, put up with the fact that it looks like ass due to my TV having to deinterlace it?

10. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Well-Known Member

So is Rayman 3 a fully cross-platform title? Or just GCN and Xbox?

I really loved the DC version of Rayman 2 (and have the free Tshirt with the DC logo to prove it, hehe). One of the points mentioned in the review is that the levels in Rayman 3 are relatively smaller, and there is more of a puzzle emphasis. As I am a huge fan of the exploration/platform aspects of Rayman 2, this is somewhat of a disappointment.

The game has also been made somewhat 'hipper' and slightly more edgy than the really straightforward, magical quality of part 2. I realize I'm in the minority here, but that comes as a blow to me as well.

I look forward to hearing some of your impressions.

~j

11. JoshF

JoshF Well-Known Member

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Well-Known Member

Well, that's an order-of-magnitude thing. Given that all three or four editions of Rayman 3 will come out at about the same time at about the same price, doesn't it make sense to go for the one that will look/sound the most impressive on your equipment? Sure, "looking like ass" is probably something of an exaggeration, but let's not pretend that the technical specifications don't matter.

13. JoshF

JoshF Well-Known Member

True, true. I'll go back in my hole. It just seems people like to talk more about 480p and 5.1 than gameplay.

So my question is this:

How is the game?

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Well-Known Member

It should be mentioned the GameCube version has an unlockable section that you need the GBA game for.

15. Jeffrey Forner

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Well-Known Member

I read that there are 56 levels. How many have you gotten through?

17. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Well-Known Member

Has anyone actually confirmed that the XBOX version will definitely support 480p? I know there was a time when that was just assumed, but there is always the rare title that slips through without progressive support (most recently and disturbingly - Kung Fu Chaos).

I'm almost leaning towards the GC version because I was planning on getting the GBA version as well. But, if the XBOX definitely supports 480p, I might have to trade the extra GBA levels for that.

My only other concern is that the GC version was handled by a different team who worked solely on the GC version while the team that worked on the XBOX version also worked on the PS2 and PC versions simultaneously. That may mean nothing - I just got a Need for Speed 2 : Hot Pursuit flashback when I saw that.

18. JamesH

JamesH Well-Known Member

The only info I've seen on the differences between versions is that the GC has minigames, while the Xbox has better textures. I'm not likely to spend much time with a minigame unless it's something really good like Xenocard, so I'm going with the one that provides the more impressive playthrough.

I'm pretty sure it will have progressive scan, as the other UBI games on the Xbox did. Does anyone know if Ghost Recon on the Cube supports progressive?

I'm slightly bummed. More puzzle elements and combat? I thought the best parts of Rayman 2 were the frantic platforming sections. Nothing like traversing falling platforms while an airship shoots at you.

19. JamesH

JamesH Well-Known Member

And bleh to the "hipness" as well. For some reason, the style in Rayman 1 and 2 just made me happy when I played them. I doubt this new game will equal Rayman 2, which I'd place in my top 5 of all time, but I imagine it will still be the best next gen platformer to date.

20. JoshF

JoshF Well-Known Member

JamesH: I too loved Rayman 2. One of my favorites of all time.

I'll be really surprised, however, if it trumps the greatness that is Ratchet & Clank, the greatest platformer of this generation by far.