What's new

The Life & Times of Grizzly Adams (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Jon,

Ray had nothing else to say. It seemed they really wanted the show back to distribute it. But, Paramount didn't seem to want to budge. I am not sure if Martin (Paramount exec.) still visits the site. Maybe, if he reads this he can check on the status of the show.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I'd like to chime in with my desire to see this show on DVD as well.
My brother and I were discussing this just today, and I haven't seen any release news for this show, so I thought I would either start a thread about it myself, or see if there was an existing one, and hope that the studio or rights holder would get a bee in his/her bonnet about releasing this.
Hey, you never know with the magic of HTF! :D

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Denver Pyle's show "Dukes of Hazzard" is now going on it's Season 4 DVD release. How about we getting his other show released...?

Are you with me HTF?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I'd die to have this eventually! I watched reruns in 2nd grade every morning in syndication. Very cool show.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
With the release of the movie Grizzly Man in movie theaters across the country I wonder if Grizzly Adams has a chance of resurfacing on DVD?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Randy Salas, DVD Columnist and Entertainment Wire Editor at the Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper, told me around the beginning of this year that he had spoken with a VP at Grizzly Adams Productions, Inc., and the VP told him that the original series was sold off to Taff Communications, who then sold it to "a major studio" that was not named, but was said to have no plans to re-release the show despite apparently knowing that Grizzly Adams Productions (who retained the trademark) plans to bring out a new feature film sometime around 2007-08.

Perhaps the studio in question, whoever they are, wants to just wait until the new film gets made, and tie in a TV-DVD release to it. Judging by the success of series like Little House, I don't think they ought to worry about that.

The film, by the way, was still in the funding stage at the first part of the year, and it was thought that the Grizzly Adams character would be more "mountain urban" than before (don't ask me what that means; you now know about as much as I do).

"Grizzly Man" has nothing to do with Grizzly Adams Productions; it comes from Discovery Channel and is in theaters via Lions Gate. The film's written and directed by Werner Herzog, so it's probably incredible, but don't confuse it as being of GA Prod.'s origin.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Randy Salas, DVD Columnist and Entertainment Wire Editor at the Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper, told me around the beginning of this year that he had spoken with a VP at Grizzly Adams Productions, Inc., and the VP told him that the original series was sold off to Taff Communications, who then sold it to "a major studio" that was not named,
Paramount is the major studio.

It was made by Sunn Classics in the 70's. They became one of the most profitable independents in that decade. They were bought out Taft in the early 80s, who were bought out by Viacom who are now part of Paramount.

Just about all the Sunn Classics films are MIA on DVD. Hopefully, Paramount will get around to doing something with the films and TV series.

Grizzly Adams productions is actually Charles Sellier, who wrote and created the TV show. He directed a lot of the movies as well and wrote a few of the books.

I hadn't heard he is doing another Adams film. He hasn't since the 70's, even though there have been a few, unrelated Dan Haggerty "Grizzly" films.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm waiting for the DVD release of this series. Then I too will escape into the wilderness, with minimal belongings (limited to a portable DVD player and the Grizzly Adams complete series on DVD) and live in seclusion for the rest of my life - with the exception of Denver Pyle, who I will meet miles away at the bottom of the mountain every few months or so, to provide me with a supply of batteries.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I'm waiting for the DVD release of this series. Then I too will escape into the wilderness, with minimal belongings (limited to a portable DVD player and the Grizzly Adams complete series on DVD) and live in seclusion for the rest of my life - with the exception of Denver Pyle, who I will meet miles away at the bottom of the mountain every few months or so, to provide me with a supply of batteries.
Yeah, me too. Except of hanging with a bear. I will take Jessica Alba or someone like her. And hangout with her. ;)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I remember this series with Denver Pyle. By the way, Grizzly Adams Productions? I didn't know this show was considered to be owned by its own name. But, maybe after Dukes has run its course then someone will step in and release this series on DVD as well.:D

Mick Tees

Second Unit
I think Grizzly Adams is a GEM! I grew up watching this show in the mid-late 70's. I haven't seen it on re-runs for about 15 years and I'm hoping that with the success and popularity of the movie "Grizzly Man" recently perhaps this classic feel-good hit will come back to life on DVD.

We got Dukes and Little House so maybe this one isn't too far behind. You would think they would cash in on the hot market for TV shows on DVD that is on fire right now.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
It's a new year. Any new news on the possibility of this series ever seeing a DVD release?

I know that Grizzly Man (which has no affiliation with Grizzly Adams) did really well on DVD release and on Discovery Channel last night.

Could the owners of this 1970's classic finally decide that the time is right to release it?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'd definately support this series if it were released to DVD. Denver Pyle is one of my favourite actors.:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Could the owners of this 1970's classic finally decide that the time is right to release it?
As mentioned earlier in the thread (I believe) that would be Paramount / Viacom, although I don't know if they even know they own it. It was acquired from a company they own, that acquired it from buying another company. So, it is probably buried in their vaults somewhere.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
My usual rant about this wonderful program that Viacom or Paramount might not even realize they have this gem in their vaults.

Bring it out, dust it off, and release it. I think it would do really well.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Ok it's been six months since my last plea to bring this series out of the vaults and onto our TV screens via DVD.

Also, Batman (1966) series that ran for three years is long overdue too.

That thread has gone cold. Let's keep these alive. It's interesting as I was looking up the different episodes for Batman and just about every episode always has part 1 and part 2.

I'm enjoying Lost In Space Season Two right now. Each episode ends with a teaser for the next show. Same time, same channel type of thing. Hmmm, I wonder who had that idea first?

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I got tired of waiting for it and broke down and bought an unofficial set which is in pretty good shape. Will definitely buy the official version in a heartbeat if they ever get around to putting it out.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Jeff wrote "I got tired of waiting for it and broke down and bought an unofficial set which is in pretty good shape. Will definitely buy the official version in a heartbeat if they ever get around to putting it out."

I remember buying "Curb Your Enthusiasm" on Ebay before the official HBO releases. It was a deal where you bought the first three seasons on DVD for $99 plus shipping. The official releases started coming out about six months after I bought booted copies. I then bought all of the official releases.

I'm not at the point where I'm ready to purchase these copies. I know that they exist and if you search on the net you'll find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks