What's new

The Lemon Drop Kid (1951) - Hope Comes from Shout! Factory (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
On Amazon yesterday, I noticed that Bob Hope's The Lemon Drop Kid is scheduled to be released by Shout! Factory on October 19th. The Lemon Drop Kid is one of the titles owned by Hope and previously released by Brentwood/BCI. It is based on a Damon Runyan story with a strong Christmas theme, and it introduced the song "Silver Bells." Brentwood/BCI's releases were a mixed bag. The picture quality on Road to Rio, Road to Bali, My Favorite Brunette, and Son of Pale Face was o.k. The picture quality on The Lemon Drop Kid was poor and on The Great Lover it was horrible. I sent the following questions to Shout! Factory: (1) On The Lemon Drop Kid, will the picture quality be better than the old BCI/Brentwood version of this title? (2) Will Shout issue other Hope titles that previously were issued by BCI/Brentwood? Shout!'s response is as follows:

[SIZE= 12px]Much better quality, as they were completely remastered from brand-new High-Definition transfers. We’ll also be releasing other movies that BCI had, as well as another film that they didn’t.[/SIZE]

It sounds promising.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully they'll get around to releasing PARIS HOLIDAY in a wide screen version. It was filmed in the Technirama process. Curiously, the Brentwood version starts off in wide screen for about 10 minutes before it goes to pan and scan!!!

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
That's great news . I've been happy with all the shout titles i've purchased over the years . And those brentwood Hope's were not so good . If the price is right i'll be upgrading for sure . Hopefully some extras too .

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Amazingly, Shout has been getting the majority of my dollars this year. Between the Corman's, the Gamera's and now the Hope's, I'm actually having trouble keeping up.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by borisfw

That's great news . I've been happy with all the shout titles i've purchased over the years . And those brentwood Hope's were not so good . If the price is right i'll be upgrading for sure . Hopefully some extras too .

Amazon has the Shout release of The Lemon Drop Kid listed as $8.99 and available Oct 19. I think the price is right.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
What?!? Don't they know the demand for pressed discs is dead! (mocking a post on another topic)...

This is great news, of course. And an awesome price point. Can't wait to find out what more they've got in store.

Go Shout!

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Thanks for pointing out the price . The price IS right . I hope The Great Lover is going to be released by shout with a new print . I had the video and the brentwood dvd and both were in crappy shape .

I wonder what film they are releasing that hasn't been released yet . The Iron Petticoat would be great . If not That Certain Feeling . A guilty pleasure of mine . George Sanders plays a nice jerk in that one .

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by borisfw

Thanks for pointing out the price . The price IS right . I hope The Great Lover is going to be released by shout with a new print . I had the video and the brentwood dvd and both were in crappy shape .

I wonder what film they are releasing that hasn't been released yet . The Iron Petticoat would be great . If not That Certain Feeling . A guilty pleasure of mine . George Sanders plays a nice jerk in that one .

I still have those Brentwood releases and they are very tough to watch with The Lemon Drop Kid and Seven Little Foys being the best of the bunch. When you get into the widescreen films, I can barely watch them and actually when Paris Holiday went to Pan-Scan I turned it off and have not played it since. The above poster is right, Shout is getting a large junk of my change that used to go to Fox and MGM. Their loss is Shout's gain.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I wouldn't mind seeing Off Limits with Hope and Mickey Rooney. I haven't seen it since it ran decades ago on Saturday Night at the Movies.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Olive Films is bringing out OFF LIMITS (they're releasing MY FAVORITE SPY at the end of the month). Would also like to see Olive license BEAU JAMES and THAT CERTAIN FEELING from Paramount.

cliffMac

Agent
And.... the new disc will be from a new HD re-master of LDK and it looks really amazing.

You can throw away your BCI/Brentwood releases

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
According to Amazon.com Shout will be releasing a Bob Hope Collection on December 7:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0042FUHV6/dvdbeaver-20/ref=nosim

[SIZE= 18px]The Bob Hope Collection (The Lemon Drop Kid / Road to Bali / Road to Rio / My Favorite Brunette / The Seven Little Foys)[/SIZE]  

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I seen this at Amazon the other day . I wonder whet the print on My Favorite Brunette is like . I don't think i've seen a good print yet .

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Am I wrong to assume that (like LEMON DROP KID), all titles will be remastered and that SEVEN LITTLE FOYS will be in its VistaVision aspect ratio?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by Thomas T

Am I wrong to assume that (like LEMON DROP KID), all titles will be remastered and that SEVEN LITTLE FOYS will be in its VistaVision aspect ratio?

While I am hoping for the widescreen release of Seven Little Foys, I am not going to hold my breath. Shout Factory can be commended on many many great titles, I was most impressed with The T.A.M.I. Show in its correct aspect ratio and a great transfer, but we don't know the source material of the Hope films. Shout has said that these titles will be better than ever before and I do believe them so here's to hope, not only Bob to hoping that the titles will be in the correct aspect ratio. This is a buy, but I will wait for reviews first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks