What's new

The Leftovers (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I have to agree, the performances are what keep me coming back. As odd as the "hug-away-your-pain"-guy is, Carrie Coon was freaking amazing in that scene, as well as the night of "debauchery" beforehand. The episodes focusing tightly on single characters have been by far the best so far.

Maybe that's because the story is inherently better suited to single-character POV slices than an Altman-esque interlocking mural. Maybe it's just that those actors are so goddamn great; seriously, whatever issues you might have the concept, the bleak tone, the Lindelof, the dialogue...there's no denying that Eccleston and especially Carrie Coon last night straight up killed it.

Interestingly, I spotted Sebastian Arcelus (reporter-dude who had a thing for Kate Mara on House of Cards) playing Nora's husband in a photo a few episodes ago; looks like he made a brief return here (in the kitchen-scene).

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
doug zdanivsky said:
They never showed whether the hug 'took', though.. Not really. We'll see, I guess..
I'm not sure what you mean. The fact that her (weekly? bi-monthly?) grocery routine was abandoned indicates that she has let go.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
doug zdanivsky said:
They never showed whether the hug 'took', though.. Not really. We'll see, I guess..
Well, she bought different groceries and finally replaced the roll of paper towels. I interpreted that as a degree of acceptance that we hadn't seen at the beginning.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Well, she bought different groceries and finally replaced the roll of paper towels.
The fact that her (weekly? bi-monthly?) grocery routine was abandoned indicates that she has let go.
Hmm.. I guess that went over my head.. :)

I was like, well, she still needs OTHER groceries, surely..

I didn't get that message on her machine.. Who was that?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
doug zdanivsky said:
Gotta quit being lazy and go back and see what he has to appologise for (surely not for telling her about the affiar?).
Basically that whole conversation where he tried to hit her up for money.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Yeah, the groceries, the saving of the message, the new routine, the proposed date with the Chief...and, of course, the all important "no" to the question, "in your opinion is ..... in a better place?" I found it interesting that in her previous state of denying herself hope and dwelling on her pain, people answered yes invariably to her asking that question. But, now that she can embrace hope, people speak the truth to her about this question. It's also part of the slack she is given around town - partially because of who she is, but also because of how she wore that pain. She is different now.

The show is truly amazing in these one-offs, I think. I also always felt LOST was at its best when it focused on a single character backstory. Lindeloff is very good at this. The mystery of The Leftovers is still...what does it all add up to? I'm not even sure I care, but the question floats out there. It's just life, bare naked, happening. And, it's so raw - that's what I dig about it.

BTW...lots of fake nutjobs in this world, but surely Holy Wayne is the real deal. He was brutally honest, saying he didn't give a fuck about her and he already had her money. And, he STILL read her like an open book in two seconds and pulled her pain from her in an absolutely otherworldly manner. I don't know what his story is...but his mojo is strong.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was the first episode where I felt any vestiges of plot, between Holy Wayne's network of Asian pregnant women, and the alien or divine puppet masters pulling the old chief's strings. Scott Glenn is terrific in the role. It was fun seeing Jill play off of her grandpa; he actually got her to smile!Continue to love the chief and Nora together.Do you think the chief's been banging his daughter's best friend during his blackouts? She certainly seems to have an intimate knowledge of what he's up to during them.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
At least the Chief got him some. Pretty needed after losing a foot chase against a thousand-year-old man.
Also, there's no sleep aid that compares to a good orgasm. He came home looking well-rested for the first time in the entire show.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Just noticed there's a story on Cairo teased on that NatGeo cover, and next week's episode is titled "Cairo." Just something.(...And down the rabbit-hole we go...)

I actually like the teen characters. Except for that ratty, Paul Dano-looking motherfucker. Why can't he just join the GR already? The twins are like flesh-and-blood incarnations of the Matt Damon-doll from Team America.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
So, of course, the internet immediately got to work on the Nat Geo issue featured in the episode. Entire scans were available for viewing. The major takeaways are:

[*](As mentioned by the other Josh, above) There is a story about Cairo, which is A) the title of the next episode, and, b) one of the words heard over the police radio in Kevin's dream.
[*]Another cover story is "the spider that lives underwater." This phrase was spoken by Christine.
[*]There is also a story about the "riddle of the Minoans," who were a culture that by many accounts vanished.
[*]One of the photos in this story features a wall painting (I think) of two men grappling (though they may be embracing/hugging), with bandaged hands. The men may be twins.
[/list]
Regarding Kevin and Aimee, people are asking if he has been banging her. I think it's more likely that she is banging him. Those bite marks did not look canine, rather, they looked human.

Great show. No duds, and two episodes verging on perfect.

[*]
[/list]

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
I actually like the teen characters.
Clearly, it shows that I'm immature but the teen girls are easily the most relatable and likable characters on the show to me. The constant cursing and mean things they say to each other is pretty similar to how I talk to people and when I was that age, I knew chicks that would do crazy things like they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks