What's new

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN pre-release discussion (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
The film is based on a comic book of the same title, which was written by Alan Moore, who wrote the graphic novel FROM HELL, too.

The book takes place at the end of the 19th century in London, and the League is assembled with such notables as Allan Quartermain, Captain Nemo, the invisible man, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

I have a friend who is huge fan of the comic and she has gotten progressively more disappointed by each trailer that's been released, fearing that a somewhat literary angle has been corrupted by mindless Hollywood action.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely adore the concept. I have a thing with any kind of work that brings different people together, toward a common goal. I am seeing this on opening night for sure.

Still, I believe that one might need to be familiar with the characters to truly appreciate this movie/book or else it just become yet another assemble cast. This could hurt the movie.

--
Holadem

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Here is the previous thread about it from way back when it started production.
I have sincere doubts about it. I really want to enjoy it, as the source was superb and I like the director a great deal. But the trailers worry me more and more.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
The trailer isn't helping the anticipation at all. The CGI looks suspect, the fast cutting is annoying, and all that sustains any interest is Connery's presence, all this despite using the glorious Cutthroat Island score.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I love how the movie is titled "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and yet the trailer narrates that "when the world is in peril, it turns to a singular individual" and then tons of Sean Connery shots :rolleyes

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I think it's funny when the trailer mentions "unstoppable assassins" and then shows Connery punching one. I guess those assassins have one weakness after all -- the human fist.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
A much better idea would have been to mimic X2's trailers, by showing the different characters and printing/saying their names. Much more effective IMO. Right now, no would know who the extraordinary gentlemen are without actively seeking that info.

--
Holadem

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I love how the movie is titled "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and yet the trailer narrates that "when the world is in peril, it turns to a singular individual" and then tons of Sean Connery shots.
I suspect Connery as Quartermain will be getting more than his share of screentime (unlike in the graphic novel) but it's to be expected that the filmmakers would capitalize on his presence.

Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers with this one...

Brenton

Screenwriter
That's strange. After seeing the trailer, in my opinion, the title is the best thing it has going for it. I've never read the comic book, and I don't much about the plot, but I've always liked the title. It sounds like a phrase a 19th Century Victorian-era person would use to describe a group of superheroes like the X-Men.

Anyways, after I found out what the synopsis was, I thought it sounded cool. But then I see the trailer, and I'm more than a little underwhelmed.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Funny thing is, I liked the previous trailers better that had everyone, rather than being Connery centric like this one is. It doesn't help that they really aren't setting up the concept well at all in any of the promo material. I'm putting the comic book aside, because I know this film won't be that. I'm just hoping for an enjoyable movie experience.

Jason

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well.. I just spoke to someone close to the production of the film and he informed me that director Stephen Norrington was basically "fired" over a month ago due to disagreements with the producers and Connery, and the editing had indeed been taken over by the studio but not necessarily Connery, although he probably is heavily involved.
I really hope it turns out well in the end, but it is not looking too good.:frowning:

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
Uh oh. That can't be good.
I can't even imagine what disagreements that would be like..
I suspect Connery wants to hollywood it up some though. *sigh* I guess it's wait and see time. :frowning:

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Well, I've been advising people for months now to read the comic book and ignore the film when it comes out. The impression I am getting from magazines and the net about this flick is that they have anchored the story around Quatermain and included some American icons to help sell the movie to the US. I'm not sure about Norrington to be honest.

While I like From Hell, Hollywood should leave Moore's work alone, it's too textured for movies and the joy never comes mearly out of the story and action.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
The comic will still be here when the movie opens...

There, repeat enough and all will be well.

Phil

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

There, repeat enough and all will be well.
I already decided long ago that I'm not expecting this movie to resemble the comics all that much. It helps that the plot is very different from the books.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks