What's new

The Latest Report: OS X LION to be released Thursday July 14th (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The article talks of AppStore updates. Wonder if there will be

an update through the normal Software Update route.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Hey Guys - Been away for some time I can confirm Ron's findings. Lion doesn't break the things that matter in day to day use. On my end, Photoshop CS5 & Lightroom run fine. Epson Print/scan opps are OK. Some of the 'Features' are of no use to me, but I'm on a desktop. There are many new tidbits to be had. Example - making a container folder - Select several files and control click to make 'New Folder with Selected' Nice little anime and a useful addition. Dragging files or groups is interesting - more Apple anime when moving in or out of a window - some useful & some not IMO On the fence with Versions. For now it's Apple apps. In certain situations, I want to make my own decisions on when to save something. For Apple stuff there is no Save! Command S is 'Save a Version' Ok, well perhaps? Love Mail - Nice addition from Apple and a great steal from the Letterbox plug (many thanks to Aaron Harnly for keeping me happy over the last 2 years) Grouped Mail replies (oh wait..conversation view) doesn't mark read on some mssgs added, but it's a small bug. Long term users will be able to 'Turn Off' most of what they consider Baby features. The system speed doesn't feel much faster yet, but the pinns are there for a tune up in 10.7.1 I have a Super Duper clone for 1 PPC app on 10.6.8 I don't want to loose just yet. As always, a clone just before diving in is always a good idea. Best E

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I agree with this:
arnoldkim Arnold Kim ya, given the call for Lion apps yesterday, I don't see how they can launch Lion this week.
So something isn't adding up. Just not enough time to avoid a mess. So one of three things is going to happen: -It will be an absolute disaster mess thursday if both new Airs and Lion ship this week -Airs will ship with this week with Lion to follow -Airs will ship this wee with Lion pre-installed but general availability of Lion waits until next week. I'm betting on option 3.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Don't suppose anyone's had a chance to check out if MacMP3Gain works in Lion? I'm glad to read about CS5 and Lr3 working. I'm going to assume the native Apple apps work (Logic Pro, iWork) :D Hopefully there won't be any showstoppers with Microsoft's latest office version either.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

I agree with this:

arnoldkim Arnold Kim
ya, given the call for Lion apps yesterday, I don't see how they can launch Lion this week.

So something isn't adding up. Just not enough time to avoid a mess.

So one of three things is going to happen:
-It will be an absolute disaster mess thursday if both new Airs and Lion ship this week
-Airs will ship with this week with Lion to follow
-Airs will ship this wee with Lion pre-installed but general availability of Lion waits until next week.

I'm betting on option 3.

Is Lion unstable, not ready for release? Why would it be a disaster if it was released?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As far as I am concerned, Lion has been stable since

Developer Preview 4.

Been working perfectly for me for the last 2 weeks.

No crashes. No problems whatsoever.

Should be available Thursday, from what I hear.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
None taken...but what you are challenging me with makes no sense.

Who is the end user here? People like myself.

I have been using this operating system for quite some time and see

no significant problems with it.

Perhaps a developer, looking under the hood, may find some issues.

However, most everyone using this platform for normal, everyday purposes,

are not going to find the issues you may be finding.

There hasn't been ANY newly introduced operating system, be it MAC

or WINDOWS that hasn't had its share of bugs on day one.

And any initial quirks that may/do exist will be patched up shortly.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I disagree but obviously cannot get into specifics. The chart that was posted above is a good start tho. Every one of those deficiencies is going to equal unhappy, vocal, users.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

I disagree but obviously cannot get into specifics. The chart that was posted above is a good start tho. Every one of those deficiencies is going to equal unhappy, vocal, users.

Chart? I don't see any chart.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
The thing I find amusing about these threads: For people posting their "first-hand" experiences regarding Lion...If you are an Apple Developer, then you are violating the NDA. If you are not an Apple Developer, then you are using pirated software, which I thought was verboten on this forum. Maybe the guidelines have changed...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
DaveF said:
Chart? I don't see any chart.
The website Ron linked is essentially one big Chart Michael: It's definitely a fuzzy line. The real issue is that Apple doesn't care a whit about news sites spreading NDA locked info but won't relieve devs from it, which severely cramps their ability to discuss real problems, especially when regular people get a hold of software early as they inevitably do.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Live by the rumor, die by the rumor. http://www.cultofmac.com/will-m-i-a-os-x-lion-on-july-26th-along-with-new-macbooks-mac-minis/104682 Buttt...... haha, I was right! ;)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Removing Rosetta is going to cause a lot of issues for some long standing companies. Look at this mess: http://www.xritephoto.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=264

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Two things: One thing I forgot to mention is that Apple reports Quarterlies on July 19th, it is VERY VERY rare for Apple to do a major launch the week(s) before Quarterlies come out. Almost never. The day and week after? Almost always. This is why I was very dismissive of the 14th rumors and so next week or the week after seem a lot more likely to me. A number of "Checked for Lion compatibility" releases are now showing up on the MAS so that's a good sign that it's coming soon too. The other thing is regarding Rosetta going away. Know who this is going to hurt the most? Classic gamers. There's still a TON of people playing Diablo 2 for example and I've started to see the grumbles from those folks who have gotten.... early access.... to Lion and are freaked out that they can't play D2 and other games any more. I think this is going to surprise a LOT of people. Google Diablo Lion if you want to see what I mean.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Did I miss it? I was on a plane all day yesterday. Is it out?

[EDIT]

Caught up on my tech news :) I see yesterday was not Roarday.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Official, lion launches tomorrow morning. Happy downloading y'all, hope you love it as much as I do. But let's say a prayer for all the Rosetta apps we are leaving behind.... And move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks