What's new

The latest on Conan, Leno and NBC (1 Viewer)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I do watch Carson Daly when he interviews some hot actress or model that is criminally overlooked by the other chat shows.

You know, I could screw up NBC 90% as much for only 60% of the salary -- give me a one-year contract. For the bean-counters that own the network, I'd be a bargain.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood

I'd also like the old Leno Tonight Show back, from when it was entertaining.
Isn't that from an alternate reality?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
BTW, through all of this... Jeff Zucker STILL has a job.

INCONCEIVABLE!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Zucker must have compromising pictures of someone to keep that position for as long as he has with such pathetic results.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by EricSchulz

Re-run complete Carson shows and we'd all be better off. I don't care if the jokes are about the Nixon or Carter administrations.

Mark my words, Ferguson will be the one to come out of this whole group as the best talent of them all.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
This debacle will likely cost Jeff Zucker his job at NBC Universal.

And this on top of the persistent rumors that NBC may end up losing a huge amount of money over the upcoming Winter Olympics in Vancouver, BC.

Meanwhile, CBS' decision to keep as many of their scripted dramas as possible on the 10 pm ET/9 pm CT slot looks really good right now, what with strong ratings lead-in for the late local news broadcasts on CBS affiliates and really strong ratings for The Late Show with David Letterman.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ray Chuang

This debacle will likely cost Jeff Zucker his job at NBC Universal.
I'll believe it when I see it. He's driven the network into last place where it has stayed for a while now and he's still there.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one here who absolutely loves Fallon's show? The Roots are amazing, he is very much at home at 30 Rock, perfect show.

Honestly I could care less about Jay or Conan. Conan became bad when switched coasts, and Leno at 10 is awful -- the musical guests are mostly gone, the 10 at 10 thing is pathetic compared to guest at the show -- I never watched any of his comedy shtick anyway.

If I was NBC I'd cancel Leno, and tell Conan that if says to a guest "there is so much to talk about" one more time, NBC security have been instructed to shoot him. Cancelling Carson Daily would be a shame -- he gave up and coming musicians their best platform.

And if the Tonight Show gets pushed to 12:05, it means the first guest won't go on until 12:30 at the earliest. All the A listers will go straight to Letterman where they will be on the air half an hour earlier.

Full disclosure -- I was a HUGE Johnny Carson fan -- stayed up every chance I had to watch the full 90 minutes of his show. He didn't treat his guests as an afterthought to dumb comedy skits and his monologs were brilliant. There is no one that come close these days, but Letterman and Fallon are the two guys who at least don't embarrass his tradition.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Jay's opener last night:

HERE'S SOME FRIGHTENING NEWS. KEV, THIS WILL INTEREST YOU. THE WORLDWIDE FUND FOR NATURE CAME OUT WITH ITS LIST OF 10 SPECIES MOST LIKELY TO BE EXTINCT IN THE NEAR FUTURE. DO YOU KNOW WHAT NUMBER ONE WAS? US.

I GUESS YOU HEARD THESE RUMORS THAT NBC IS TALKING ABOUT CANCELING OUR SHOW. YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS? I DIDN'T SLEEP WITH ANY OF MY STAFF FOR NOTHING!

ACTUALLY, IF THEY DID CANCEL US IT WOULD BE AN EASY MOVE FOR ME BECAUSE I STILL HAVEN'T UNPACKED FROM THE LAST SHOW THEY CANCELED ME FROM. EVERYTHING IS STILL BACK THERE...SO IT'S NO PROBLEM.

TO BE FAIR, NBC IS WORKING ON A SOLUTION, THEY SAY, IN WHICH ALL PARTIES WILL BE SCREWED EQUALLY. THAT CERTAIN NBC TOUCH.

IT'S IN EVERY...IT'S ALL OVER THE PLACE. EVERYBODY IS COMMENTING ON IT. I EVEN SAW IT ON THE NEWS. TAKE A LOOK AT THIS. (DROP-IN: OBAMA RESPONDS TO JAY STORY)
http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_14151210?nclick_check=1

Wow (sorry about the all caps, it's how the article/release is printed)

All I can think of is smarmy Jay in "The Night Shift"

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Brent M

I can't even begin to put into words how much this pisses me off. If NBC sandbags Conan by giving Leno 11:30 back I won't ever watch their network again. Leno should have just gone away like he promised he would when his contract was up and if he still wanted to do a show he should have taken his "talent" to ABC or FOX. While I enjoyed Conan more when he was at 12:30 because he was allowed to be edgier and not forced to appeal so much to the mainstream, the fact is that NBC made their choice giving him The Tonight Show. If I was Conan and they tried to take that away I'd sue their asses back to the stone age.
My sentiments exactly.

EDIT: If Conan does shift networks, It'll be interesting to see him get yet another new studio. It will also be tough to top the new one at Universal Studios (which was built for a pretty penny), which is really swank. I'm hoping he goes to ABC, because there's a network that is run well, and one that won't panic when the 60-year-old comics with older audiences are beating the mid-40s comic with the geerally young audience in the first 7 months. Come talk to me in 2020-25 when Leno and Letterman are retired or dead and let's see who's dominating the late night scene over the long haul here.....

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Am I the only one here who absolutely loves Fallon's show? The Roots are amazing, he is very much at home at 30 Rock, perfect show.

I thought I might be the only one. I like Fallon, the Roots, Higgins and even some of the skits (Wheel of Carpet Samples, anyone?)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Come talk to me in 2020-25 when Leno and Letterman are retired or dead and...
... so is Network TV.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Brent M

I'll believe it when I see it. He's driven the network into last place where it has stayed for a while now and he's still there.
But with the bad economy currently, the head honchos at GE may not be so forgiving this time around. With the Leno-O'Brien fiasco and the potential looming fiasco over the finances of the Winter Olympics coverage, this may give the excuse for GE management (and possibly Comcast management!) to push Zucker out the door.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It's not about being forgiving. There are no excuses at that level with the amount of failure Zucker has shepherded.

Zucker has some sort of spell over GE that has absolved him of blame, failure after failure. For some reason, still they think he's the best person for the job and somehow don't consider him to be responsible for the total downfall.

Perhaps a fresh set of eyes at Comcast will finally usher out the end of the Jeff Zucker era. But make no mistake -- if Zucker is finally fired, it will be because of Comcast, not GE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks