What's new

The latest legal battle over a name: Fox News vs. Al Franken (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Comedian Al Franken and his publisher have been sued by Fox News Channel over the title of Franken's upcoming book, Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right. Fox wants the title changed, claiming a trademark on the phrase "fair and balanced". The suit was filed on Monday, August 11, in New York City.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/book....ap/index.html

This one promises to be even more interesting than the Spike Lee/SpikeTV battle.

M.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Great press for Al Franken's book, I'm sure he's loving this!!! I remember his "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" book that was hilarious!

Van Patton

Second Unit
I just got done reading Al's latest book and it is great. It's a tongue-in-cheek advice book that made me laugh out loud several times. It's called "A Guide To Success, or failing that, Happiness."

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Oh boy, there is a lot of bad blood between these parties.

There is a history of loud verbal exchanges between Al and Bill O'Reilly and Shawn Hannity.

Paul

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
The exchange between Franken and O'Reilly at that book expo in LA a few months back was absolutely classic. Sad as a debate, but classic for humor and karmic payback for O'Reilly. I'm such a geek that I watched it live on C-Span.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> This one promises to be even more interesting than the Spike Lee/SpikeTV battle.

At least this one supposedly involves a registered trademark.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
At least this one supposedly involves a registered trademark.
A coupla things:

1. The SpikeTV case didn't involve a trademark claim; so no registration was required. (And it's possible to have a trademark without registration, but leave that aside.)

2. Without seeing the complaint, there's no way to know exactly what Fox is claiming. News reports of litigations that have just been filed are notoriously unreliable.

3. Registration is only a first step. The registrant's right to the mark doesn't really get tested until someone challenges it -- and a good way to provoke such a challenge is to sue someone.

M.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Franken is using "fair and balanced" deliberately, as satire. Isn't the whole point of the title of the book that he doesn't believe that the network in question presents fair and balanced news?

I don't fully understand the trademark laws of the United States, but I'm pretty certain that he'll be able to successfully argue that the title is deliberately satirical.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I haven't seen the complaint, but it's not clear whether Fox News is claiming under U.S. trademark laws. The case was filed in state court, not federal, which is where a federal trademark case would usually be sent. They may be proceeding under the same state laws used in the SpikeTV case, since they too are seeking a preliminary injunction (presumably to halt publication).

I'm pretty certain that he'll be able to successfully argue that the title is deliberately satirical
I'm sure that will be a major defense point, no matter what law applies.

The New York Times had an editorial about this case today. Their suggestion was to send it to Judge Judy. :D

M.

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
I believe US trademark laws allow for satire. Of course, what qualifies as satire is open to debate, which is probably what will occur.

Patrick, the link posted by Phillip is accurate, but a bit nebulous. I'll summarize a brief portion of the "talk and debate" as I saw it.

Frankken was given 15 minutes to talk about his book, which is about pretty much what the title says it is. He used the time to rip into several well known right wingers, and since O'Reilly is on the cover and was conveniently seated to Frankken's left, he proceeded to tear into him as well, with much exuberance. He spent a good 20 minutes ripping on him (he went 35 mins total), while O'Reilly had to just sit there and take it. The look on O'Reilly's face told me he was ready to kill. After Frankken finished, O'Reilly yelled at Frankken for several minutes, followed by a "debate" that consisted of Frankken baiting O'Reilly and O'Reilly yelling back. A disgusted Molly Ivins, who was also present, got a few words in, but not many.

I referred to Frankken's lambasting of O'Reilly as karmic payback because O'Reilly uses his show on Fox News as a bully pulpit. When the tables were turned, he almost lost control of himself.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
People like O'Reilly typically do. Franken can and will run rings around him in any debate. Frankly I can't wait to read the book

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I read some replies to this when the story hit Yahoo's front page:

It's pretty obvious that if a new soup company comes into the marketplace and uses the phrase "Mmmm! Mmmm! Good!", then I can see (and justify) Campbells concern.

The grey area comes into play when we start trademarking everyday phrases:

Should "Fair and Balanced" be a trademark? It almost sounds too generic. Kinda like trademarking the phrase "This is my story" and then not allowing anyone to ever use that phrase when they write an autobiography.

p.s. If Fox is really "Fair", then they'd let Al use the phrase :D

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> O'Reilly uses his show on Fox News as a bully pulpit

Well, it is his show, not a news broadcast. Same for anyone else's TV or radio talk show.

I wonder how well an Al Franken book would sell if he didn't link himself to someone or something much more popular than him. I wouldn't have known he had a new book if he hadn't used the phrase in the title that led to all this.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how well an Al Franken book would sell if he didn't link himself to someone or something much more popular than him. I wouldn't have known he had a new book if he hadn't used the phrase in the title that led to all this.
There are TONS of people that are famous for doing this.

Sometimes it seems like that's the only way to get noticed these days. :frowning:

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Franken is not "linking" himself to anyone. After all this book is not exactly aimed at fans of Fox News or Bill O'Reilly (both of which BTW seem to spend a great deal of time putting down things much more popular than themselves (i.e. the mainstream media)).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks