What's new

The latest Independent 2 zone HDMI receiver options (1 Viewer)

ariansa

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I'm setting up my home theater around a single set of surround sound speakers. However, I have 2 walls perfect for 2 projectors. One wall is idea for larger groups, but the other is better for sitting alone on the big sectional couch (It's a long and narrow space). Bottom line: I need 2 independent HDMI video outputs (tv/tv, dvd/tv, tv/dvd, etc), each capable of using the surround sound (switchable, not at the same time. I do realize that my speakers would be out of rotation when the odd wall is using the surround sound). Many receivers have a 2nd HDMI output, but it is not independent from the main. And I think incorporating a matrix switch would restrict the surround sound to only 1 projector (I could get multiple source video this way though). I've seen older forums addressing this, so I apologize if this is a repeat to you, but it looks like the market is starting to offer this "independent 2 zone HDMI" functionality more. The most modestly priced receiver that I can find is the Onkyo TX-NR1010, which retails for $1800. Are there other options out there?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, why, exactly, do you need "independent zones" when the projectors are going to be in the same room? Actually going to project different images at once? And yes, 2nd zone HDMI is expensive. Less than $1500 you are finding simply split.

ariansa

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Mainly to accommodate 2 distinct groups of people in the same area: 1. Wife watches The bachelor while I keep an eye on the game 2. March Madness: Two games playing while audio from just 1 (like many bars) 3. Super Bowl: Game on the primary while the "Puppy Bowl" or "Lingerie Bowl" is on the secondary (no need for sound on these)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The least expensive Elite is the SC67. Denon is the 4520. Yamaha is the RX-A3020 Unless you are willing to do Component Zone 2...which would require doubling up your STB. You can drop to $1200(and less if you search the used market for an up to 3 year old AVR)

ariansa

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I just realized that I should be able to make this happen with a combination of a 5x2 and 2x2 HDMI switch. I think I'll keep my $1000.
5e2d01f0_2-zonereceiver.jpeg

ariansa

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Why would all of the audio be 2.0? Because of the switches? I would still be running 5.1 from the receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Actually you may not have that problem. As you'll "bypass" the AVR with one input...you aren't running everything through...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks