What's new

The latest batch of Disney animated titles...pretty bad PQ (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
FoxyMulder said:
It reminds me of an article i read, relevant to animation too because of the "blurring effect" that happens when you degrain a film, maybe Disney want to re-make The Blur Witch Project.

Roger Deakins who was the director of photography on The Big Lebowski and other Coen Brothers films has this to say on the subject matter."I would prefer to scan everything at 4K these days and output the same, however, it seems some producers still want to save money by doing 2K. Personally, I think this is very short sighted and certainly does not reflect the true quality of a properly exposed film negative. I insist on 4K scans, as I like any grain that there is to be sharp and the image also. Some would say that you need a 6K scan to see the full detail/fine grain in a 35mm or anamorphic negative and I believe they would be right. The de-graining tool is really only putting the image out of focus and I wouldn't recommend it as standard. Like every tool there are pros and cons. Everything comes at a cost!"
Wonderful comments. Where does Deakins say this? Link?

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Looks like Disney have bollocksed up The Little Mermaid now as well. The disc is released this week and next in several Euro countries, and some errors have already been discovered:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=8011512&postcount=1724

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=8013757&postcount=1736

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=8015320&postcount=1773

If at the very least the most obvious change is not rectified, either in time for the U.S. release or via a replacement, I won't be buying it. I know this film much too well not to let the "new" editing completely ruin it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
FoxyMulder said:
They just forgot to recall it and if you want the replacement you have to contact them which is rather annoying when you are in the UK and have bought a USA blu ray, i still have the version with the dropped line.
And that you are correct.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
FoxyMulder said:
They just forgot to recall it and if you want the replacement you have to contact them which is rather annoying when you are in the UK and have bought a USA blu ray, i still have the version with the dropped line.
Me too. I contacted Disney US about a replacement and they told me to bugger off and contact the UK business instead. The thing is, the UK disc drops the original soundtrack so that wasn't an option. I just try and zone out during the section with the dropped lines. Pinocchio is due for a Diamond release like Sleeping Beauty at some point so I'll rebuy it then (assuming they don't f*** something else up).

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I passed on THE SWORD IN THE STONE and I have no interest in THE LITTLE MERMAID, which I consider junk from the get-go.

I understand Disney is working on THE JUNGLE BOOK (1967) now. Let's hope they get it right.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Richard--W said:
I passed on THE SWORD IN THE STONE and I have no interest in THE LITTLE MERMAID, which I consider junk from the get-go.

I understand Disney is working on THE JUNGLE BOOK (1967) now. Let's hope they get it right.
The Jungle Book is already out in the UK.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Wow. That is a bad goof. In the new cut, when she's floating back down to the rock, her mouth is still animated to the lyrics to the song but there's no longer any vocals. I just don't get it. How did this happen? Likely an editing mistake when the film was being converted to 3D.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It really does make one scratch their head as to how something like that (the re-edit in The Little Mermaid) could happen.

It is so...random.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Richard--W said:
Wonderful comments. Where does Deakins say this? Link?
It was a while ago i read it in an interview with him, can't remember the site but it's out there in internet land, he also has his forum and maybe that's where i read it, he also re-iterates the advantages of the 4K film scan in another interview for True Grit, included below.

http://www.rogerdeakins.com/forum2/index.php?sid=6fdec1a7c04a2417a674162dff2bf169

http://www.britishcinematographer.co.uk/articles/40-roger-deakins-true-grit.html

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'm not sure I'm following along with these supposed mistakes...WHAT happened now??

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ethan Riley said:
I'm not sure I'm following along with these supposed mistakes...WHAT happened now??
Disney pretend the mistakes don't exist and they don't pull the release, i guess that's what happens now and instead they tell people a few months later to send their copies in for a fixed replacement, of course i'm guessing based on their past history with all this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks