What's new

The Last Ship (TNT) (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm really enjoying it, decent story and obviously very high budget. How about quit nit-picking it to death over the details. It's fiction, it's just a fun popcorn summer series, relax and enjoy it. Plus it's from Michael Bay, what do you expect. If all you want to do is point out flaws, maybe hold off until it ends.
Maybe it's time to invent a new "flaws ahead" tag, kind of like spoilers.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I'm sorry if someone seems not to enjoy my posts. That is their problem, not mine. If there were no posts in this thread pointing out or discussing "errors", there would only be about 10 posts.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Dheiner said:
I'm sorry if someone seems not to enjoy my posts. That is their problem, not mine. If there were no posts in this thread pointing out or discussing "errors", there would only be about 10 posts.
I agree with pointing out errors, particularly when a show is dreadfully awful, but this one is pretty decent so far. Of course we have to overlook some major technical errors, but a positive comment once in a while would be nice :)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Dheiner said:
Don't bother me, I find everything in here interesting. Second episode was better than the first. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This show is losing my attention. It doesn't seem as exciting as I thought initially.

I'll watch the next episode to see whether to continue on or drop this show.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
While I could nitpick some more, this time I'll point out how cool it was for them to show one reason why shipboard romances are horrible ideas.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I was kind of hoping that Ruskov, the Russian Admiral, would have a little bit of nuance; but ultimately all he lacked was a moustache to twirl. Despite that criticism I liked the idea that other naval vessels are in play and the episode did offer up some tension and some strong moments - particularly during the navigation of the channel. Curious to see how long the contest will play out between the Nathan James and the Soviet vessel. Some pretty strong Chandler moments in this episode and I liked that he admitted he was wrong and his decision permitted the Russians to consolidate their position.

Still enjoying the show.

- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm really enjoying Adam Baldwin as the XO on this show. He clearly disagrees with the captain's course of action, but they didn't go down the tired path of having him undermining the captain's command. He's still giving his best.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Adam Lenhardt said:
I'm really enjoying Adam Baldwin as the XO on this show. He clearly disagrees with the captain's course of action, but they didn't go down the tired path of having him undermining the captain's command. He's still giving his best.
Mal taught him that lesson.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode was the best yet. No contrived conflicts, just a crew of good people doing their best to see tomorrow while preserving humanity's last, best hope for salvation. I like seeing the CDC doctor recognizing the talents and skills of the crew, and I like the emerging fallibility of the captain, even as their hard work pays off in a fortuitous coincidence or a little divine intervention.I was also pleasantly surprised that they've got an apparent vaccine prototype already. Once they've got a cure, the show becomes even more interesting to me, because then it's about how they save as many people as possible while protecting their own ability to carry on their mission.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the pilot last night. One thing when they were "raiding" the cruise ship. Wouldn't it have been wise to scavenge some more. Getting more common items...toiletries, toilet paper, etc.

I do agree with the earlier post saying that season 1 should be about the cure, then the next seasons about using it...

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Favorite part of last night's episode was the traitor asking for a "skilled chess partner," then getting the pissed-off galley cook as his opponent.

This show's doing a pretty good job at keeping the stakes relatively grounded so far; this episode contained a very real scenario (engines about to die; low drinking-water rations) and explored it without any huge "Michael Bay"-moments interrupting it all.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Dheiner said:
I was behind episodes 1&2, but they sure sucked me in.

The past two episodes, even though I tolerate a lot, truly stretched believability beyond limits.Risking the future of the world by dunking the "cure" in 546 feet of water until it hits bottom, hoping it survives the pressure and the container being dragged through whatever undersea terrain there would be.
Pulling a huge destroyer with wind power captured by three tiny parachutes?Pulling up at a beautiful, tropical island with pineapple, gorgeous beaches and a gazillion gallons of fresh, bacteria free water? Watch any of the latest real survival shows from the past few years and you'll realize how incredibly phony that is. Mother Nature is tough.

It's Michael Bay, pure popcorn for the summer, just leave your brain behind before watching.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
Risking the future of the world by dunking the "cure" in 546 feet of water until it hits bottom, hoping it survives the pressure and the container being dragged through whatever undersea terrain there would be.
To be fair, that was the very definition of worst case scenario. There were no other viable options that would keep the primordial samples consistently below 40 degrees. Their choice was between doing what they did, with its attendant risks, and the samples maybe getting corrupted, or doing nothing and having the samples definitely getting corrupted.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Adam Lenhardt said:
To be fair, that was the very definition of worst case scenario. There were no other viable options that would keep the primordial samples consistently below 40 degrees. Their choice was between doing what they did, with its attendant risks, and the samples maybe getting corrupted, or doing nothing and having the samples definitely getting corrupted.
With all the time they had, you would think they could build a small generator that could power a small fridge. Heck, even a Gilligan bike would generate some electricity. They had plenty of fuel. And they have motor boats and possibly helicopters. Any of those engines could be converted during the down time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
David Weicker said:
With all the time they had, you would think they could build a small generator that could power a small fridge. Heck, even a Gilligan bike would generate some electricity. They had plenty of fuel. And they have motor boats and possibly helicopters. Any of those engines could be converted during the down time.
Except, if the temperature rose above 40 degrees on those samples at any point, the samples were done for. They needed a solution right at that moment. And this is not a fully stocked ship with lots of spare parts on hand, it's a ship that has spent four months isolated in the Arctic only to come back to a world where the supply chains have completely collapsed.
todd s said:
The show was renewed for a 13-episode 2nd season.
Good news!

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Ouch.. That was some wince-inducing dialogue. And up till now it's been at least interesting permutations of cliched plot devices. Hopefully there's not going to be much more like this, and they can keep their batting average up..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks