What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Even the most casual filmgoer has likely seen one or two Alfred Hitchcock films, possibly The Birds or Psycho. And even fans of the late, great master of suspense generally point to many of his slick Hollywood films as among the best ever made. One should never discount his English period, however, as he produced during that time some movies that can stand with the very best of the movies made during his thirty-five years in Hollywood. Such a film is The Lady Vanishes, one of the great masterpieces of English language cinema, and one of the most influential movies ever made.

The Lady Vanishes (Blu-ray)
Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Studio: Criterion
Year: 1938

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1   1080p   AVC codec  
Running Time: 96 minutes
Rating: NR
Audio: PCM 1.0 English
Subtitles: SDH

Region: A

MSRP: $39.95

Release Date: December 6, 2011

Review Date: December 3, 2011

The Film

5/5

The story has been copied, stolen from, and cherry-picked for almost seventy years: a sweet, tweedy English lady goes missing on a moving train yet only one person on board claims that there was ever even such a person there. Was she actually there or was her acquaintance suffering from a concussion and merely imagining the lady in question ever got on the train? From such a small seed grows one of the great movie entertainments, as much fun and filled with as many thrills as any current suspense picture. Sure, the techniques might look a bit dated now with the miniatures that look like miniatures and an over-reliance on rear projection which can sometimes look thrillingly real and other times look completely bogus. Always one to eschew location filming when he could get what he wanted within the controlled environment of a studio, Hitchcock was still using these same artificial techniques at the end of his career, too, but none of it matters. What does matter is that the film is howlingly droll, stupendously suspenseful, and wonderfully manipulative in the best sense of the word. We put ourselves in Hitchcock’s hands, and let him take us anywhere he wants. The ride is everything.

Margaret Lockwood is Iris Henderson, a young English girl returning to London on a train for her wedding. In her compartment is Miss Froy (Dame May Whitty), an elderly governess who came to her aid when a flower pot fell on her head right before the train departed. Putting her head back to ease the throbbing, Iris is surprised to find upon awakening that Miss Froy is not there. Not only that, but none of the other passengers in the compartment claim to have ever seen such a person. Everywhere she turns, no one has any recollection that any such elderly lady ever boarded the train. So, halfway into the film we’re left with a dilly of a mystery. Was there a Miss Froy, and if so, where is she now?

Hitchcock really didn’t deal much in mysteries as his stock in trade. Suspense was more to his taste, and in order to generate that, the viewer has to be given information, the very antithesis of the way classic mysteries function. And what makes The Lady Vanishes so sensational is that the first third is a comedy of manners with no intrigue whatsoever and the last third of the film, once the mystery of Miss Froy’s disappearance is solved, features an even more thrilling set of circumstances that our protagonists must deal with if they want to survive. And all of this in ninety-six minutes! It’s truly an amazing achievement. No wonder Hitchcock won (for the only time in his career) the New York Film Critics Best Director Award for this movie.

Legendary stage and screen actor Michael Redgrave made his starring screen debut in The Lady Vanishes playing a good-time Charlie who comes to Margaret Lockwood’s aid. She’s pert and persistent as Iris, and the two of them make great foils for Paul Lukas playing Dr. Hartz who’s also anxious to help with the search. Dame May Whitty, of course, makes a memorable Miss Froy, all fastidiously and cheerily British but possibly not being exactly who she appears to be. And who could be more thoroughly British than that pair of British buffoons Caldicott and Charters played by the invaluable Naunton Wayne and Basil Radford? So popular were their characters that they began their own series of radio and film adventures.

Sidney Gilliat and Frank Launder’s concise script is a model of construction for this type of missing persons thriller, and coupled with Hitchcock‘s unerring eye for an offbeat touch here or a surprising twist there, we‘re kept guessing until the very end. Whether one has ever seen this sensational film before or is watching it for the umpteenth time, it never disappoints, and its comic verve coupled with its galvanizing pace make for a real film treasure.

Video Quality

4/5

The film has been framed at its theatrical 1.33:1 and is presented in 1080p using the AVC codec. Sharpness throughout is well above average, and the grayscale, while slightly compromised by middling black levels, still makes for an appealing presentation. There are stray dust specks here and there and an occasional slim black scratch or two, but overall the visual quality is the best the film has ever enjoyed on home video. The film has been divided into 26 chapters.

Audio Quality

4/5

The PCM 1.0 (1.1 Mbps) sound mix offers decent fidelity for a film of this advanced age. Criterion engineers have done a sterling job minimizing hiss on the track, and the dialogue and sound effects combine adroitly together with one never overpowering the other except when the director means for them to. There is very little music score present in the film, a rarity for a Hitchcock opus, but where it is present, it is never distorted by the low budget confines of the enterprise.

Special Features

3.5/5

An audio commentary is provided by critic Bruce Eder. Most of this is a carryover from the 1998 DVD release, but Eder has recorded a couple of new passages to replace previous comments, and it’s pretty obvious where they’ve been edited in as the recording levels are slightly louder and the recording studio has a little more open sound. It’s an outstanding commentary giving background information on all the principals both before and behind the camera and offering some analysis and even some backstage gossip here and there.

Crook’s Tour is the 1941 film that reunited supporting characters Caldicott and Charters in another comic story of espionage, mistaken identity, and a slight romance. Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne once again play the cricket-loving duo. The film runs 81 minutes in 1080p.

“Mystery Train” is a 33-minute audio critique of the movie by critic Leonard Leff using film clips, poster art, and stills. The narrator’s tone and comments are dry and less interesting than Bruce Eder’s analysis on the commentary track, but it‘s worth hearing once. It’s in 1080i.

“Truffaut/Hitchcock” contains 9½ minutes of excerpts from the interviews film director Francois Truffaut conducted with Hitchcock in 1962 in preparation for his 1967 book on the great director. If you have the book, it’s better to read the comments there as in these interviews a translator is present, and her translations interrupt Hitchcock’s train of thought occasionally and make communication a bit hard to follow.

A fairly brief stills gallery contains stills and behind the scenes shots from the movie, a nice selection of tinted lobby cards, and poster art from around the world for the film.

The enclosed 20-page booklet contains cast and crew lists, some tinted stills, and two essays: an appreciation of the film by author Geoffrey O’Brien and a discussion of the political insights of the film by film professor Charles Barr.

The Criterion Blu-rays include a maneuvering tool called “Timeline” which can be pulled up from the menu or by pushing the red button on the remote. It shows you your progress on the disc, the title of the chapter you’re now in, and index markers for the commentary that goes along with the film, all of which can be switched on the fly. Additionally, two other buttons on the remote can place or remove bookmarks if you decide to stop viewing before reaching the end of the film or want to mark specific places for later reference.

In Conclusion

4.5/5 (not an average)

The Lady Vanishes is one of the greatest movie suspense adventures ever made. Its influences on the missing persons genre of films, books, and television can’t be overestimated, and it’s a pleasure to have it at long last in high definition looking and sounding as good as it’s possible for its aged elements to generate.

Matt Hough

Charlotte, NC

Last edited by a moderator:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Great review. Hasn't been one of my very favorites in the past, but probably I'll like it better on blu...On the strength of this review I just bought it from amzn. Is the Crook's Tour film entertaining to some degree?

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
This will be my 5th purchase of this title, dating back to a 16mm print from when I used to own a projector. I never tire of watching this movie. Thanks for the review (I have had it on order for months).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by benbess /t/316686/the-lady-vanishes-blu-ray-review#post_3876291
Great review. Hasn't been one of my very favorites in the past, but probably I'll like it better on blu...On the strength of this review I just bought it from amzn. Is the Crook's Tour film entertaining to some degree?
IMO, not really. From my review:

"It’s usually a mistake to take effective supporting characters and turn them into leads. That proves true with the silly and forgettable 'Tour'. While C&C provided fine comic relief in
'Lady', here they lack character or charm. They can’t carry a story alone, and the pair blend into the scenery. I think it’s cool that we get the film as an extra, but I won’t ever want to watch this mediocrity again."

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Colin Jacobson said:
IMO, not really.  From my review:
"It’s usually a mistake to take effective supporting characters and turn them into leads.  That proves true with the silly and forgettable 'Tour'.  While C&C provided fine comic relief in
'Lady', here they lack character or charm.  They can’t carry a story alone, and the pair blend into the scenery.  I think it’s cool that we get the film as an extra, but I won’t ever want to watch this mediocrity again."
Too bad....But thanks for letting me know. With so many good movies out there that I haven't seen I'll probably skip Tour entirely...

gregnewyorkcity

Auditioning
Real Name
greg mitchell
Um, I know the film well, but your review says it's "one of the most influential movies ever made." Help me understand what I'm missing here.....

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by gregnewyorkcity /t/316686/the-lady-vanishes-blu-ray-review#post_3876457
Um, I know the film well, but your review says it's "one of the most influential movies ever made." Help me understand what I'm missing here.....
In his commentary, Bruce Eder does a magnificent job describing the various motifs Hitchcock instituted in this film which have been borrowed by countless filmmakers for both movies and television in the years since this movie's release. Rather than enumerate them, I'll refer you to that commentary.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I am considering upgrading my Criterion DVD to this blu-ray and I would appreciate any comments on the picture quality of Crook's Tour as it has always been a favourite film (also stars Greta Gynt another favourite).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I watched this last night and it remains a Top Five Hitchcock film for me. His mastery of tone in particular is impressive here - the film goes from a fish-out-of-water tourist comedy to mystery to suspense thriller effortlessly, which each distinct segment fitting together perfectly to make a unified whole.

I’ll never tire of this film and hope to talk my wife into watching it with me one day.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I watched this last night and it remains a Top Five Hitchcock film for me. His mastery of tone in particular is impressive here - the film goes from a fish-out-of-water tourist comedy to mystery to suspense thriller effortlessly, which each distinct segment fitting together perfectly to make a unified whole.

I’ll never tire of this film and hope to talk my wife into watching it with me one day.

I will need to see if this is on the Criterion channel. Never saw this film and I am intrigued by the overwhelmingly positive responses in this thread.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
After reading all the positive posts in this thread, I turned on The Criterion Channel, reclined back in my theater chair, and viewed THE LADY VANISHES for the very first time.

Wonderful movie. In particular, I really enjoyed its cast.

Having really enjoyed Michael Redgrave's performance, I did research on other films he did. There's one with a ventriloquist dummy called DEAD OF NIGHT. Recommended watch?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Having really enjoyed Michael Redgrave's performance, I did research on other films he did. There's one with a ventriloquist dummy called DEAD OF NIGHT. Recommended watch?

Watch the film, do not stop at go and watch the film. It is exceptional. It’s an AFH recommendation. Lol:rock::):) (thanks to Crawdaddy)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's a wonderful movie, full of great performances. And 'Dead of Night', a compendium movie with five different stories, is a real delight too ... and you'll find that the Michael Redgrave section has had a huge influence on other film and television outings.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
When I was growing up I only knew Alfred Hitchcock for the TV show, Psycho and The Birds, which I thought were isolated forays into movies that were out of the norm for him. Then, when I was in college in the fall of 1971 our student union had a double feature of The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps, which a friend invited me to see. I learned that night about the fact that Hitchcock was primarily a movie director and I was an instant fan. To this day I consider The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps to be 2 of his finest works. The latest activity on this thread gave me the urge to watch The Lady Vanishes again and I was enthralled and thrilled to see it like the very first time — in fact I had forgotten all the preamble of the first 30 minutes ! What a masterpiece.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The 39 Steps is a movie I really enjoy, but somehow I forget how much I enjoy it in between viewings. Then, when I put it on, I’m always surprised how much fun I’m having. Why I haven’t figured out that I really like it, I’m not sure.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
After reading all the positive posts in this thread, I turned on The Criterion Channel, reclined back in my theater chair, and viewed THE LADY VANISHES for the very first time.

Wonderful movie. In particular, I really enjoyed its cast.

Ron, I also had the privilege of reviewing Dead of Night. The review is here.

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will eventually get around to purchasing DEAD OF NIGHT befoe the Kino sale is over.

Criterion Channel also has THE 39 STEPS. I think I may end up watching that today.

It's kind of funny that I am putting off watching two Captain America 3D Blu-rays I just received as imports in favor of Alfred Hitchcock, a director I never really appreciated.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you liked Lady Vanishes, take a peek at Night Train To Munich, also from Criterion. It’s not a Hitchcock film and not technically a sequel, but Caldicott and Charters appear and it has another good tense plot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks