What's new

THE L WORD Showtime series (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to it on dvd but I dont have cable. Saw Mia Kirshner on one of the late night talk shows a couple weeks ago promoting it; sounds good.

RichardK

Second Unit
i watched the premiere episode....not bad...i will try and tune in again...
i prefer dead like me or family business though.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Well, for fellow "24" fans this is a bonus as on the episode that was on Sunday, you finally get to see her topless. (Probably isn't the first time though)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

Nope, not the first and hopefully not the last.

The show certainly satisfies my prurient interests, but I can't really say I'm enjoying the characters too much. I realize the central premise of the show is following a group of lesbians around, but that's all the show is about. Some of these gals must have at least one conversation each day that isn't directly related to their sex lives. As it's structured, the characters (except perhaps for Jenny) have no depth at all.

Brad

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I don't have Showtime, but I may be getting it soon. If I did have it, I would watch this show just for Mia, as I'm a rabid fan of her's. Yesterday was actually her birthday, and I watched three of her films in her honor. She is so gorgeous, not to mention a great actress.

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator
I think this last episode gave us some more depth on some of the characters as far as their friendships go. However, the Jennifer Beals character, "Bette" is the only one they have really fleshed out, at all. We don't have any background info on anyone else, but know that Bette is biracial, has an alcoholic sister who was in a band and whom she followed around when she was younger.

At this point, since we know so little about the characters, it is hard to understand their motivation for much of anything- other than sex! Hopefully, the characters will not be one dimentional too much longer.

Anyone know how many episodes will be in this "season"? Showtime seems to have a different interpretation of season length than the OTA networks.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Come on, everyone on here talks about every single show around...but not a peep about The L Word.

13 weeks, all in HD even....

Wife likes it, and thats all I care about :)

Its pretty decent and definitely ground breaking at times.

Anyone?

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator
I like this show. I'm not sure that I feel it's as ground breaking as Queer As Folk but I do like it.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Having never watched the other show I can't comment. Some may put the acting at over the top but I think its very well played and at times can be pretty true to life regardless of gender.

But I think the overall viewship for this show is probably higher for obvious reasons.

The DVD should be out soon. Its a great follow up after watching the Soprano's, I think Season 2 comes out in June.

I think the epilogue given by Bett was taped at the start of the series because it sounded like there might not be a season 2. Showtime renewed it after its second week which shows how high the ratings were.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm about 2 episodes behind, but some episodes have been fabulous, while others are a bit tedious, so it's been a little uneven for me.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

How soon is soon? HBO usually takes their sweet time to put things on DVD -- how quick is showtime?

Ted

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I really like this show. Some interesting guest star casting, too. I got a kick out of the whole Snoop Dogg-Slim Daddy thing.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Generallly Showtime original programs are released on DVD shortly before the next season debuts (as with the upcoming Dead Like Me set). I know The L Word has been renewed, but I have no idea when the next season will air.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yes, but the release pattern is the same. They use the DVDs to promo the new season, and then they promo the DVDs when the new episodes air. Whoever releases the DVDs, it's a marketing model that seems to work.

M.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Michael,

I did search for "L Word" before I made my post, not a single item came up in the search, but I did try before I posted this.

We'll be buying the DVD set, I think it will be a big seller since not as many people have Showtime as they do HBO. The new season should start in June and according to the last ep they said "soon to be released" on DVD.

I would hope it comes out pretty soon.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I thought their choice in music was outstanding. Lucinda Williams, Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Joan Armatrading, Liz Phair...

Their use of Rufus Wainwright's Hallelujah gave me the chills.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks