What's new

The King and I (Blu-ray) Single Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
lionel59 said:
In SOUTH PACIFIC, the moonlight scenes were intended to have a blue tint in them. They were the least objectionable "filtered sequences" in the (otherwise) excellent film adaptation of the Broadway play. Joshua Logan went on record saying it was the biggest mistake of his professional career and both Rodgers and Hammerstein hated the "experimental color filtering" employed during most of the musical sequences. The fact that the movie was still enjoyable and made a fortune shows how indestructible the show (and its score) are. Without the filters though, it would have been better received critically and may have won more awards.As the director is on record stating he desired to remove the color filters (he originally began doing each of these sequences twice- with and without the filters- butI have read that Fox in CA discouraged this, telling him the filtered sequences looked great and they could remove the color in the labs for him later if he wanted them to- a lie).A true director's cut would digitally correct the filters and restore normal color to these sequences. It is a pity that Fox did not color-correct the restored Roadshow sequences and offer this version on a Blu Ray disc as well. Nonetheless, it is good that they offered it as a special feature with the Blu Ray. My problem is that after seeing any film restored to its original length, I never wish to view the cut-down version again!
THE KING AND I was Oscar-nominated for its color cinematography, also shot by Leon Shamroy. A poorly manufactured print/master with the blue spectrum so distorted that faces are looking blue in some shots is-to my mind- a travesty which is not worth my time or money. Better to view the SD version which-for the most part- accurately displays the De Luxe color pallette which the original prints displayed in theatres.(I have seen this movie in pristine 70mm and in a newly-struck 35mm print.I have also seen 35mm prints faded to various shades of pink).As regards their classic back catalogue, Fox are committing "commercial hara-kiri"
RE: SOUTH PACIFIC.The 70mm roadshow film ran for 4 and 1/2 years continually at the same cinema in Sydney and about 5 similar years in London. Regardless what some people think of the filters used in the film and the lack of awards received, it holds the record as having the longest single run of a 70mm film in history. THE SOUND OF MUSIC comes second. for a long run of a 70mm film.That speaks for it self as regards their enormous public popularity.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I saw South Pacific at least half a dozen times as a young teenager in Melbourne during its 70mm roadshow season (couldn't get enough of Liat; nowadays I favour Nellie!) and to be totally honest, I just let the mad colours wash over me .. the whole movie was infused with magical romance and poetry and sadness and joy. The present Blu ray is so stunningly mastered and possesses such clarity that again, the colour washes are irrelevant for me. This, and the Todd-AO Oklahoma, are transfer triumphs. So sad about The King and I, and to a lesser degree, Carousel, which still gives enjoyable viewing despite some over-dark sequences and a bit of a scrub with the old Reckitt's Blue!

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
John Maher_289910 said:
MY FAIR LADY is the worst "A" movie ever made, imo. If only it was a fraction as good as the stage version. It lacked the scope, excitement, choreography and performances of that.
I take it that you have seen EVERY 'A' movie ever made? There have been millions of them !

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
bujaki said:
Agree with all your assessments, but not with Andrews winning for Sound of Music. Simone Signoret in Ship of Fools is so much better. She and Oskar Werner are unforgettable in this movie, which unfortunately doesn't have the popularity of SoM.
SHIP OF FOOLS is one of my all time favourite films. Impeccable cast- everyone deserved an Oscar. The final 5 minutes of the film is a masterpiece of filmmaking.I never tire of seeing this film on bluray.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Here is a bit of Memorabilia for you Anthony. (and maybe others)

tickets2.jpg

Doug.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
AnthonyClarke said:
I saw South Pacific at least half a dozen times as a young teenager in Melbourne during its 70mm roadshow season (couldn't get enough of Liat; nowadays I favour Nellie!) and to be totally honest, I just let the mad colours wash over me .. the whole movie was infused with magical romance and poetry and sadness and joy. The present Blu ray is so stunningly mastered and possesses such clarity that again, the colour washes are irrelevant for me. This, and the Todd-AO Oklahoma, are transfer triumphs. So sad about The King and I, and to a lesser degree, Carousel, which still gives enjoyable viewing despite some over-dark sequences and a bit of a scrub with the old Reckitt's Blue!
I've never seen "South Pacific" before but I got the R&H set a little while so I'm looking forward to it. I noticed it comes with both a theatrical and extended version - any recommendations on which one to see?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Josh Steinberg said:
I've never seen "South Pacific" before but I got the R&H set a little while so I'm looking forward to it. I noticed it comes with both a theatrical and extended version - any recommendations on which one to see?
The theatrical cut is actually in HD, but the extended version spends some more time developing Luther Billis' character.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
MatthewA said:
The theatrical cut is actually in HD, but the extended version spends some more time developing Luther Billis' character.
The extended version isn't HD? I love how the box says nothing about that.. ;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The scenes in the extended cut were taken from a faded 70mm print; I don't know why they couldn't have gotten at least enough picture info for a 1080p transfer.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
MatthewA said:
The scenes in the extended cut were taken from a faded 70mm print; I don't know why they couldn't have gotten at least enough picture info for a 1080p transfer.
Is it a hybrid HD/SD deal with the extended scenes in SD and the theatrical version scenes in HD, or is it SD all the way? (I'll eventually check out both versions either way.. Thanks Matthew for the insight!)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Josh Steinberg said:
Just curious.. which version do you like better?
You know, I was so happy when the original version finally surfaced I thought wow, this is it! I determined THAT was going to be the version for me and it was great to see all the added bits. It's good but, looking at it over the past few years, I realized that, if you're going to cut a movie down to save time, this is the way to do it. From what I remember, there aren't actually any additional "scenes" in the longer version as all the cuts seem to be a streamlining of the existing material with a line here and an additional few bits there.

As I said it's great to see the missing material (and anything that gives us MORE of the dancing half naked sailor boys is "okes" in my book) but I found myself gravitating back to the shorter version over time, mostly because it looks SO good on blu-ray that I let the superior picture quality make my mind up for me. I realized that I wasn't really "missing" anything in the shorter version and that none of the cuts were damaging to the narrative. We're not talking disastrous wholesale BEDKNOBS & BROOMSTICKS or STAR! cuts here just a general tightening and I'm surprisingly okay with that.

If you're not familiar with both versions, watching the original can be deceiving as the "pink" material (for lack of a better term) isn't always an accurate blueprint for what was cut. The restoration doesn't switch back and forth between sources in mid shot (too jarring to the viewer I imagine) so, if material was put back in then the image stays in "pink mode" until the next clean edit even if corresponding full color material exists. It can give the impression that MORE is missing from the short version than actually is. Ultimately I don't think there's a markedly different "experience" to be had in watching either version in terms of length, it's more like having an extra piece of really good cake or, in this case, an extra bowl from the Stewpot ("GOOD GOD!!" as he's known in our house) With the shorter version being in 1080p then, to me at least, that makes the better show by default.

That being said, I still think it's a shame that the longer cut is only in SD and I don't really "get it." Faded color or not, it's still from a 70mm source so the detail is there and the restoration of the longer cut is pretty much an academic exercise anyway so...yeah, I just don't get it.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Is the extended version in SD on both the single release and the R&H box set?The disc in the box is clearly labeled Blu-Ray.(I no longer own the disks, so I can't watch it to confirm, but I do i have the picture from my EBay listing)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
David Weicker said:
Is the extended version in SD on both the single release and the R&H box set?The disc in the box is clearly labeled Blu-Ray.(I no longer own the disks, so I can't watch it to confirm, but I do i have the picture from my EBay listing)
Yes. I have both releases, and it's SD in both.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Matt Hough said:
Yes. I have both releases, and it's SD in both.
I'm surprised they were allowed to put the Blu-Ray logo on a non-Blu-Ray disc. A huge bannerOr are the extras on disc 2 in the box in HD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks