Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Anyone know if the story is still tied to the original Danish version ? I'd be shocked if they stuck to the series finale of that show, but wondered if this US version might be worth checking out if its going in a different direction?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Simon Massey said:
Anyone know if the story is still tied to the original Danish version ? I'd be shocked if they stuck to the series finale of that show, but wondered if this US version might be worth checking out if its going in a different direction?
That interview I linked to talked a bit about that. My understanding is the first season case (which actually lasted 2 seasons) was based on the first Danish case, but it went off on it's own, and even had a different killer. The second case (this current third season) is a completely new case written for the U.S. version.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since it's the finale, I'll use extra precaution and have spoilers:

This show is so messed up that I was actually surprised when Adrian didn't end up dead.

The photo of Bullet at her funeral was really sad. Even if it wasn't who she really was, it was still very effective.

I figured the killer was Becker the guard but they fooled me. I was buying Reddick as the killer until Skinner came in and then I was sure it was Skinner. It's amusing that I felt real smart because I figured something out about 2 minutes before it was revealed. :)

My only complaint is at the very end and going right out on Linden killing Skinner. I'd have rather seen them hold on that scene longer (even 10 or 15 seconds) and it would have played more as a dark ending rather than a shock ending. I realize that seems very nitpicky but I think the difference between the two is pretty big.

I can't imagine that the show will get another season (though I thought the same last season) but hats off to a show that had the guts to basically alienate its viewers by being the bleakest, darkest and most depressing show ever on TV. They had a great cast and told an exciting and believable tale. Hopefully, people will find this show on Netflix some day.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I'm torn on how I feel about the finale. On one level I think there were lots of holes in the plot with Skinner. If he was there for the boy when he killed the mom, wouldn't he search high and low for the boy after killing his mom? Why would he take her finger and ring like all the other girls? If his whole purpose was to find out if the boy knew anything (and I'm guessing kill him), why leave his signature there linking him to that murder as well? He seemed smarter than that.

I also found it odd that we never got any closure with the Becker character, but I suppose if we did it may have seemed like filler.

All in all, I thought it was one of the better seasons of television I've ever seen, despite the somewhat bad taste I have in my mouth from the finale.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
My only major issue with the finale was the location of the treehouse. It was in plain sight! And closer to the dumping ground than the characters said! I just don't believe that in such a major location, with tens of officers searching the area, that nobody found the treehouse.

Other than this one moment, I agree with Scott about the quality of the season. One word to describe this season is "careful." Every aspect was carefully chosen, written, acted, shot, scored, edited, et cetera. A masterclass.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Josh Dial said:
My only major issue with the finale was the location of the treehouse. It was in plain sight! And closer to the dumping ground than the characters said! I just don't believe that in such a major location, with tens of officers searching the area, that nobody found the treehouse.
Unless I'm forgetting something (which is entirely possible), I don't see why the treehouse would have really meant anything to Linden or anyone else before she managed to make the connection between what Seward said and why it was important. A random cop could have found the treehouse, looked for evidence, found none and just kept searching the area. Lots of places in that area could have been a vantage point for someone to have seen something but there was no reason to think that anyone had. And while the treehouse was very visible, I can buy Linden having not noticed it when she found the lake and all of the dead bodies or even on a return visit when she would have been focused on the dumping ground.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Kids play in treehouses. Linden may have asked questions had she known about it. Really, I just didn't buy the scene at all--it actually made me laugh how close it was! Anyway, it's very minor, and in no wait detracted from a phenomenal season.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I might have to watch the episode again, but from the lake I'm not sure how visible the treehouse was. It was little more than a platform. I'll assume it was some ways off the main path to the lake. True it would have been found in a general search of the area, but as TravisR said, an average cop might have looked for specific evidence there (knife, bags, etc) and having not seen any, moved on. It wouldn't have been seen while they were investigating the lake itself, tho.

Spoiler:
When Skinner was talking to his daughter, then we saw Linden standing in the war room with a huge photo of the ring I knew they were going to find someone with the ring, and Skinner's daughter was the first person I thought of, but dismissed it since they were going after Reddick. I just wish that foreshadowing wasn't so blatant

I was kind of surprised at how quickly it ended. I expected a scene afterwards but suddenly there were credits. I wanted to know what was in the trunk!

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Very chilling the way they revealed Linden's realization that it was Skinner. I had no clue. And when she questioned him on the last missing girl, he didn't even remember.

There were 21 that they knew of, I wonder how many were in the cold deep lake and other places that no one would ever find?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Netflix renews The Killing for a final six episodes.

The good: The show is back. Now that it's on Netflix, maybe someone will give a shit about it.

The bad: A mystery that you can watch in one afternoon rather than being able to think about, read about, discuss and anticipate over the course of 6 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks