What's new

The Killer from Buena Vista, Cut? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I should be getting the Mega Star version soon. In general, the Mega Star DVD's are usually better than the Universe ones.

Matt

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
The Winstar edition doesn't have the corrected subtitles, though, does it? I was under the impression that Criterion was the only company that had re-translated the film...

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Criterion's subtitles are the translation preferred by Woo. There are a couple of differences. In the Criterion, Chow Yun Fat is John. In the other versions, his character is called Jeff.
Also the names he and Danny Lee's character call each other are different.
If Buena Vista provides the original soundtrack, I would bet that they use the non-Criterion subtitles. If they didn't consult with Woo for this DVD I am sure they wouldn't go so far as to include his approved subtitles.

Matt

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Criterion's subtitles are the translation preferred by Woo. There are a couple of differences. In the Criterion, Chow Yun Fat is John. In the other versions, his character is called Jeff.
Actually, the Criterion's subs (John, Numbnuts/Butthead) are NOT preferred by Woo, they are the literal translation of the names. (Notice that in Cantonese, whenever characters say Chow's name, it sounds like "John.") The subtitles in the Winstar version (Jeffrey, Mickey Mouse/Dumbo) are the ones preferred by Woo. He says so in the commentary.

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Although this is certainly a travesty, let's not be so quick to assume that Blockbuster is the reason for BV's cutting of these movies. At various points, I have seen unrated VHS or DVD editions of "A Better Tomorrow," "Bullet in the Head," "Hard Boiled," and "The Killer" available for rent at local Blockbusters. The reason for these edits will have everything to do with Buena Vista's refusal to release unrated cuts of films (excepting ones they apparently don't know about, such as the unrated cut of "Trainspotting" available on DVD) and nothing to do with Blockbuster. BB's hypocritical policy on unrated films is another story altogether, but likely has nothing to do with this.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Yes, Woo prefers the Winstar translation. I'd say that him saying this in the commentary track is proof enough. Unfortunately, the rumors to the contrary continue to spread.

Jeff

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I'll have to listen to the Winstar Commentary again. Before the Winstar version, I always recall hearing that Woo approved the Criterion translation.

Matt

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Now I've heard that the original soundtrack will not be included, just an English dub.
I hope they don't sell a single DVD of this movie. I also hope all reviews of this DVD mention that it has been altered.

Matt

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I now have the Mega Star DVD review on my site.
http://www.loveandbullets.com/killer.htm
It is taken from a PAL master so the running time is slightly shorter than the other versions. The Universe version is better in the picture department.
If anybody is a fan of this movie, save for a multi-region player if you don't have one so you can get the Hong Kong Legends version that should be out in October.
There is an e-mail phone campaign today to let Disney know that altered movies will not be purchased and that they should label their HK DVD's as being changed from the original. So if you get a chance, call disney (1-800-72DISNEY) and send emails to([email protected]).
Of course, Disney flat out doesn't care what the consumer or film makers think. Perhaps Disney will change it's mind if enough people call. At the very least this is a good consumer education campaign so that people who have bought Asian films on DVD from the labels under Disney will know that they have altered movies. Disney makes no mention when a movie has been cut or that the original language is Cantonese.
Matt

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
NTSC is just the television standard. HKL has exclusive rights for Region 2 and I believe 4. These rights demand that they only do PAL releases because of this. The original company that produced the film can also sell the rights to a different company for US release.
CD UNIVERSE now lists the KILLER as having the 104 minute running time (R-rated cut) and says standard screen with English soundtrack.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=124566747
Buena Vista is PATHETIC.
Matt

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Every other release of the film here has OSL

INEXCUSEABLE

Helloooo Hong Kong Legends
F*ck youuuuu Disney

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
I was recently able to order THE KILLER/HARD-BOILED Winstar double-set from DVD Planet with no problems. I would have preferred Criterion, but these were the best I could do without paying exhorbinant prices.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Does Buena owns the right to THE KILLER until the year 3000? This means we'll NEVER see an UNRATED anamorphic The Killer ever.

I wonder how Tartan could release Battle Royale in NTSC? Is it because it's from another Region?

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Once again Disney urinates on the Hong Kong movie makers and fans alike. English soundtrack probably means that the music is replaced.

Tartan also has an anamorphic version of HARD BOILED. I have not seen this personally so I can't say how good it is. According to the Bulletsandbabes web site, it's not so great. Interestingly enough, around the time HKL announced that it had aquired the KILLER, the webmaster for Bulletsandbabes said that the rights to HARD BOILED seemed to be held up everywhere around the world. I wonder if this means that Disney was in the process of negotiating for worldwide rights at the time.

Releasing the r-rated cut is also insulting since all other DVD's of this movie are the director's approved version. The r-rated cut looks horrible in comparison. It ruins the flow of the action scenes.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks