What's new

The Kentucky Fried Movie (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And what was that other one -- The Groove Tube -- as I (very vaguely) recall, these kinds of films always looked pretty rough in the theater.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Does it at least look like a good transfer of a dodgy source material?
Hard to say.This is my very first Shout Factory Blu-raypurchase...ever. As thus, I don't know howthe company treats their films. Do they justslap these prints on Blu-ray or do they go throughsome sort of extensive cleanup?I ask this because dirt, scratches and otherdebris are noticeable throughout. If this were amajor studio classic release, there would be completeoutrage over the way this film is presented.As I noted earlier, grain is greatly amplified inthe sequences originally shot on video and there seemsto be a very unnatural amount of brightness blooming.
Also noticed some unusual background ghosting that's
hard to describe, but I suspect will be noticeable on larger
displays.But here is the thing...This is Kentucky Fried Movie. It's a low-budget"B" film that has never looked good, not even theatrically.I would have hoped that Shout Factory would have gone tosome length to clean up the presentation.The only advantage I can see about this Blu-ray releaseis that because of the additional bandwidth the formatprovides, there is probably more picture detail in thefilmed sequences (which do look somewhat better). However,overall, I don't think this is a considerable improvementover the DVD release.Based on its price, it's probably still worth the upgrade.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ronald Epstein said:
Just did a brief spot-check of the new Blu-ray release.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Blu-ray gives great benefit
to the transfer....

...and I should have expected that knowing the condition of
the original elements. All the warts are amplified, and those
sequences shot on video suffer from a certain degree of
brightness blowout.

Not a pretty Blu-ray by any means.

Thanks for the update, Ron. I suspected this may have been the case, so I held off ordering this one. I'll just hang onto the SD-DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks