What's new

The iPhone 5 buyers and owners thread! (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't often agree with Dilger but I do here:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2012/09/13/bored-by-iphone-5-careful-you-might-get-what-youre-asking-for/
He's got that smarmy attitude I don't like tho. I've been accused of it myself tho I don't think I'm anywhere near his league.
Here's a guy that gets it right tho (yes I saw it at DF first)
curiousrat.com/home/2012/9/17/boring.html

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://www.macworld.com/article/1168555/what_apples_new_lightning_connector_means_for_you.html
iPhone 5 adapter sounds like it will support analog audio out, contrary to initial reports.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
DaveF said:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1168555/what_apples_new_lightning_connector_means_for_you.html
iPhone 5 adapter sounds like it will support analog audio out, contrary to initial reports.
That's good to know.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
SWEET! Was worried that the carrier change would slow it down but I am on track for Friday. Goodbye to the pirates and liars at AT&T
---
Your Order Status
Your Verizon Wireless order is being processed. The expected delivery date for your order is 9/21/2012

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/323729/the-iphone-5-buyers-and-owners-thread#post_3976813
Goodbye to the pirates and liars at AT&T...

...and hello to the vermin and scumbags at Verizon.

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They're all the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.
I've had both and had big problems with both. Hurray, oligopoly!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Review embargos are over, roundup:
https://tidbits.com/article/13273
Our friend Jim Dalrymple of The Loop: “The iPhone is everything Apple said it would be and with iOS 6 built-in, it’s clear to me that Apple has another winner on its hands. I can’t think of any good reason why anyone wouldn’t upgrade or purchase the iPhone 5.”

Our buddy John Gruber said...well, he said deadlines are whooshing past him. We’ll add the link when it’s available.

Harry McCracken at Time Magazine: “...[T]he iPhone 5 is the most artful, pleasing expression of its priorities yet.”

Tim Stevens at Engadget on the display: “How does it look? Fantastic, frankly. The iPhone 4S already has one of the best displays on the market with regard to things like pixel density, brightness and contrast, and the iPhone 5 brings that up another notch.” And: “This is without a doubt the best iPhone yet. This is a hallmark of design. This is the one you’ve been waiting for.”

Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal: “I found the new iPhone screen much easier to hold and manipulate than its larger rivals and preferred it.” And: “...nlike on some early LTE models, the blazing cellular technology doesn’t decimate the battery life on this phone.” Finally: “Apple has taken an already great product and made it better, overall.”

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Attention other vendors, this is how you do it;
Two times faster? Twice the graphics performance? Better battery life? Actually, yes. The iPhone 5 over-delivers on all those promises. Running the Geekbench test suite on the iPhone 4S gave us an average score of 634. The iPhone 5 netted an average of 1,628
Via Engadget. Who got a HIGHER geekbench than the score which floored us above.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Smokin' fast web browsing, this is the stuff you don't see when you can pronounce a phone disappointing before actually you know, using it:
http://gizmodo.com/5944495/one-key-way-the-iphone-5-totally-destroys-the-competition?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_twitter&utm_source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
Again, this all comes down to priorities and engineering discipline. What do you care about? What do you value?
ME? I value snappy response, battery life, consistency, elegance, low weight, and comfortable feel.
If you value gimmicks like NFC that is a solution in search of a problem (and yes, that WILL mature, in 2 years. Apple will add it then like it did LTE) and a bigger screen and widgets that drain your battery, there are alternatives. But don't expect Apple to go down that path because it simply does not make sense for them to do so.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sam Posten said:
This is the stuff you don't see when you can pronounce a phone disappointing before actually you know, using it
To be clear: I am not talking about anyone specific, least of all regarding Ron's other post. There are dozens of places you can point to that yawned over the iPhone 5's introduction.
Gruber nails what those who had this reaction are missing.
If anything, that chasm is growing. The collective yawn from the tech press was louder this year; the enthusiasm from consumers is stronger.
Niceness is my explanation. The bored-by-the-iPhone tech press/industry experts surely value niceness, but they do not hold it in the same top-tier regard that Apple does. They are not equipped to devote an amount of attention to niceness commensurate with the amount of effort Apple puts into it. Apple can speak of micron-level precision and the computer-aided selection of the best-fitting of 725 identical-to-the-naked-eye components, but there is no benchmark, no tech spec, to measure nice. But you can feel it.
And that is what resonates with millions of people around the world.
Full review:
http://daringfireball.net/2012/09/iphone_5
I get that not everyone values the same thing. But for those who do the implication that appreciation for careful design makes you a sheep or a cult member who doesn't care about what really matters is so wrong that it's beyond debating any more. The proof is in the using and it's a holistic use. Not just at the edges where you've added a neat new thing that not everyone will use for the next two years or in adding a feature that makes other features, let alone the whole, in an overall worse state, but you do it any way just to be different.
Gruber also notes that the new display is a compromise he isn't fully sold on, for just the reasons he has said in the past and which I have given major agreement:
The new size takes some getting used to. For one thing, the new dimensions look weird at first.
The letterbox mode for not-yet-updated-for-the-new-display apps kind of sucks.
The bigger display is a total win while using the iPhone 5 two-handed. But navigating the full screen while holding the iPhone in one hand is worse, for exactly the one reason why, even one year ago, I did not expect Apple ever to increase the size of the iPhone display: my thumb no longer easily reaches from corner to corner. (My hands are at least somewhat larger than average. Perhaps, counter-intuitively, this issue will not be noticed by the smaller-handed, whose thumbs don’t easily stretch from corner to corner even on a 3.5-inch iPhone display.)
Again, I am waiting for my own unit to come in to decide if this is overall a win or not, and will take a few weeks for my favorite apps to get updated, and we have to be clear that some of our favorite apps might not EVER get updated. Only time will tell how this shakes out.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'd say comprehensive, but, well, Siracusa has not weighed in yet:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2010065/review-refined-ios-6-highlighted-by-stunning-maps-overhaul.html
Er I mean Cheng, that's the ticket!
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/review-ios-6-gets-the-spit-and-polish-treatment/

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Robert Crawford said:
Anybody else get confirmation of delivery for tomorrow?
Crawdaddy
Yeah i got my Verizon Fedex tracking on Monday.
"Estimated delivery Sep 21, 2012 by 3:00 PM"
Unlike the Apple orders this one does not originate in Shenzen China but in West Chester PA. It went from PA to Newark NJ where it has a hold for 2 days. I was worried at first that it was going to my old address but confirmed destination is my new home.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I did not know this, did not even consider it, but as a consumer it makes me happy to know that the larger screen is NOT a point of fragmentation:
In terms of fragmentation, Apple avoids any major issues by allowing developers to target the 4-inch screen if they choose to, but only as a part of the same app binary from which they target the 3.5-inch screens. In other words, there will be no apps that only run on the iPhone 5′s screen — at least not any time soon (I do imagine 4-inch screens will eventually be the norm). I’m told that Apple has no plans to enforce that developers must target the 4-inch screen either. It’s fully up to them.
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/18/iphone-5-review/
Imagine if they had enforced that with the iPad!!!!
THIS is why I continue to recommend the black iPhone over the white. I know some people like the look better but I think it is better for apps:
And if they don’t target the new screen, it’s really not a big deal. The iPhone 5 simply takes the standard-sized apps and runs them in “letterbox” mode with small black bars along the top and bottom (or sides, if the device is horizontal) of the screen. Think of it like an iPhone app running on the iPad — only the effect is much less pronounced since the iPhone 5 screen is far smaller than an iPad screen (4-inches versus. 9.7-inches). In fact, on the black iPhone 5, it can be hard to notice the black bars at all thanks to the black front of the device. The bars just blend in.
Speaking of comprehensive:
http://www.imore.com/ios-6-review
Interesting deviation from other Panoramic apps shown here. Unlike those I have used (You Gotta See This and the ones built into my NEX) you DON'T have to keep a rediculous straight line. You can create some pretty awesome impossible effects and artistic results by doing so. I like it. Detractors will say that it allows sloppy shooting. I think it interesting that Apple went against the grain here and made the choice that allows more flexibility but less guarantee of perfect shots. Holding judgement until I try it myself.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/sep/19/iphone-5-review
Precisely, on this conclusion:
It's worth recalling that a smartphone isn't a package of specifications. It's that, plus features (the software that drives the onboard camera, say) and services (such as the software that runs Siri or the maps). Those who were quick to dismiss the iPhone 5 based on its specifications – but no experience with its features or services – made the mistake of thinking that a phone is just components. But it's the gestalt that makes it a pleasant experience – or otherwise. For those who insist on NFC, or direct access to the phone's file system, or the option of opening web pages in multiple different browsers, the iPhone and iOS will never be satisfactory.
But Apple doesn't care. Steve Jobs once said that interfaces which spawned a lot of windows meant that "you get to be the janitor" – a post he didn't relish. Android lets you be the janitor, air-conditioning chief and managing director; the iPhone lets you be the user. It's a key difference in philosophy. You can't do as much on the iPhone – but sometimes fewer choices mean faster decisions

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not going to bother upgrading to IOS 6 on my iPhone 4 and will just migrate to the iPhone 5 tomorrow which will then install the upgrade.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wife upgraded iphone4 to ios6. Says new maps is bad, disappointment for apple and wishes she could roll back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks