What's new

The Incredibles Is, Well...Just Incredible! (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Just got my copy of the movie today. I'm going to watch it on Friday then again on Sunday after my 47" Panasonic RPTV gets its first ISF calibration. Really looking forward to seeing the difference in PQ.

Kevin

Craig W

Second Unit
It's incredible(pardon the pun) that eight years after DVD debuted that no electronics manufacturer can make a near perfect DVD player that's affordable.

Panasonic had it right, but even those players are prone to breakdown.

I wonder what the problems will be with the new HD formats.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have panny rp-91.
never had any trouble yet on any dvd.
normally i would just buy a new one if anything like a dvd player broke, but i would try to get this fixed before i got a newplayer.

i'll be watching incredibles tonight.

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
What's your take on the Panasonic S87? There's a new firmware, but I hear it doesn't solve all the macroblocking problems.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I must say this may be the best dvd i have ever seen.

some scenes just are perfect.

the montage after the incredibles are sued, with the people being interviewed in old stock film style was amazing.
this scene and the one with the 3 in the ocean just looked so real.
they looked like stop motion puppets.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
The RP-91 has a great MPEG decoder but a lackluster de-interlacing solution compared to the better solutions out there.

Andy

The S97 is fine. Whether or not the Macroblocking problem will be an issue depends on your display. Some displays show the problem, some don't. I don't know if yours will or not. You could always get it from a dealer with a return policy and try it out for yourself. A good test for the macroblocking problem is chapter 22 of A Bug's Life. When PT Flea arrives he jumps up on top of his wagon. If your display shows the macroblocking problem you will notice very obvious blocking in the sky around him. Again this will be very obvious. If you don't see it, you should be fine.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Working dilligently on my Incredibles Review (hopefully posted Saturday). The disc is as others have said...incredible.

I'm doing lots of A/B right now between the video of the feature film and some of the (16x9 2.39:1 OAR) snippets that appear in the bonus materials on disc two because I can't help but feel that the bonus material looks a tad sharper/more detailed than the feature film. This might also be a perception-issue because on the bonus material you're watching lots of blurry video-cam stuff and then "BAM!" you get hit with the ultra-clear movie snippet...so it might be a factor of my eyes "adjusting" for video-cam stuff and then getting overwhelmed with the actual film image that's making it feel sharper than the actual feature film.

Anyway, I'll wait and detail all of this in the review. I need to use an extra set of eyes to help gauge this. I wish I had two DVI DVD players and could A/B quickly between two still-frames to compare...*that* would be ideal. Hmmm...maybe I can do a download to a PC that has a DVD-ROM drive and A/B that way? hmmm...

Sounds like a Chroma-bug/MPEG decoding issue to me. I noticed no such artifact on my 100" screen and I'm running DVI from my Momitsu DVD player which is chroma-bug free.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Jason!

Let's chat sometime over the weekend...will ya be around? What I'm talking about is doing some captures at native-resolution for identical frames from the feature and the special features. If we burned the A/B frames to a CDR, we could spin it on my projector and do an easy A/B on the big-screen as well as some A/B on the computer monitor...

let's talk!

dave :)

p.s. duh...we could also do a screening at your place. Is your HTPC able to run via DVI? I could bring my PJ over and we could A/B on the BenQ as well as your own PJ...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, you could bring you BenQ over, tho I don't know how it would look on my dinky screen. :D

Yes, I have a DVI port on my computer, but I probably will need to rearrange things, since my main monitor is running off off of it.

Course, my LT150 may be good enough for this little test.

Jason

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

I'll beat you too it. This movie is INCREDIBLE in both its PQ and SQ:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Just got finished watching the movie with the wife. We both felt it was well done and had its funny moments, though both agreed that it wasn't better than Shrek 2. A definite must for anyones collection as a reference DVD.

Kevin

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm eagerly awaiting this release, and thought that The Incredibles was leaps and bounds (no pun intended) better than Shrek 2. Different strokes for different folks. :D

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
My guess is that we must look no further than to the fact that half the people posting in thread are reviewers for various websites, including this one. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i work at a bbv. we get ost movies a week early sometimes 2 weeks early.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

I know off a store that will sell you one when it comes in if you ask. They don't put them on the shelves till the day of the release, but they do leave them on the counter as if they are pricing them.

Kevin

Rob T

Screenwriter
anybody know if the canadian cover art will have that yellow circle for the bilingual thing or if it'll just be a full blown bilingual cover?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Watched last night. Disc looks beautiful in my HTPC, no jagging, pixelation, etc. (upscaled/1080i). One of the best transfers I've seen in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks