What's new

3D The Incredibles and Ratatouille: 3D in the works (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I STILL want some straight answers from Disney about this- "Zootopia" is coming out soon in 3D and if that doesn't get a 3D Blu-Ray release I'll start calling their customer service number. I'm not sure if Inside Out actually getting released here was due to it being Pixar or Disney actually got their head out of their ass- When Big Hero 6 didn't come out here, I wrote to Bob Iger and got absolutely NO response. On another forum, someone who owns stock in Disney said they went to a shareholders' meeting and asked about their dropping 3D support- the people there said they "weren't qualified to answer" but passed the question on to someone else, who emailed saying that they were still releasing 3D titles on Vudu- obviously not a straight answer.

Yes, they were overpricing most of their 3D titles- I got lucky and got Lion King on sale at Target for $20, before I even had a 3D TV but the rest have been at the $30 mark. Beauty and the Beast never went down in price here before going out of print, ironically it's still out in Europe and you can get that shipped here for less than what the US copy cost. I don't really consider 3D conversions "essential" anyways; they're nice but I'd rather get movies that were originally made in 3D to begin with.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Dick said:
A 3-D copy of FROZEN was selling in Arkansas? I thought it had only been released in Europe.

Yeah, that's my understanding too. I didn't notice that when replying to the post. My copy I bought from Amazon UK. I guess Frozen did so poorly at the BO that Disney didn't think 3D would sell here. :rolleyes:

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Jesse Skeen said:
I STILL want some straight answers from Disney about this- "Zootopia" is coming out soon in 3D and if that doesn't get a 3D Blu-Ray release I'll start calling their customer service number. I'm not sure if Inside Out actually getting released here was due to it being Pixar or Disney actually got their head out of their ass- When Big Hero 6 didn't come out here, I wrote to Bob Iger and got absolutely NO response.

Jesse I guess you haven't quite got it yet that Disney doesn't care what you want regarding blu-ray 3D. Pixar releases usually get a US blu-ray 3D release while Disney Home Video releases, like Zootopia , Big Hero six and Frozen do not. These go directly to 3D cable for your viewing pleasure. You can import them without problems if they are region free. You can write or call all you want but Bob Iger and Disney Home Video don't care what you think or want. Customer satisfaction is no longer the Disney touchstone it once was. Profits are king and blu-ray 3D has been written off by this part of the distribution division as a failure, just as 3DTV has been written off by the electronic manufacturers. We are lucky to get any of the theatrical 3D films on blu-ray from the Walt Disney Corporation. I'm surprised they haven't stopped production completely. So once again, as a person who has been following and complaining about Disney's disregard for the 3DTV enthusiasts that they encouraged and promoted and now ignore, your letters, e-mails and calls will make no difference to the management of Disney. You will get no response or satisfaction. They don't care what we want as we are not a big enough market to even respond to.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
SFMike said:
Jesse I guess you haven't quite got it yet that Disney doesn't care what you want regarding blu-ray 3D. Pixar releases usually get a US blu-ray 3D release while Disney Home Video releases, like Zootopia , Big Hero six and Frozen do not. These go directly to 3D cable for your viewing pleasure. You can import them without problems if they are region free. You can write or call all you want but Bob Iger and Disney Home Video don't care what you think or want. Customer satisfaction is no longer the Disney touchstone it once was. Profits are king and blu-ray 3D has been written off by this part of the distribution division as a failure, just as 3DTV has been written off by the electronic manufacturers. We are lucky to get any of the theatrical 3D films on blu-ray from the Walt Disney Corporation. I'm surprised they haven't stopped production completely. So once again, as a person who has been following and complaining about Disney's disregard for the 3DTV enthusiasts that they encouraged and promoted and now ignore, your letters, e-mails and calls will make no difference to the management of Disney. You will get no response or satisfaction. They don't care what we want as we are not a big enough market to even respond to.

This i just too damn true!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have to agree as well.

There is nothing that can be done to change Disney's course.

They have given up on 3D domestically. Everything is solely International.

They don't care about what the consumer wants. Everything they do is to preserve the sanctity of Walt himself. Thus the reason why SONG OF THE SOUTH still hasn't seen the light of day despite public push.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Ronald Epstein said:

They don't care about what the consumer wants. Everything they do is to preserve the sanctity of Walt himself.

They are not preserving Disney's legacy. Walt was always striving to offer the best presentation to an audience, going back to FANTASIA's first release. I doubt he'd want such presentations blocked for American consumers.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
RJ992 said:
They are not preserving Disney's legacy. Walt was always striving to offer the best presentation to an audience, going back to FANTASIA's first release. I doubt he'd want such presentations blocked for American consumers.

It's hard for either of us to argue over a dead man's wishes.

I am not saying I am right or wrong...

However, the Disney policies all stem around family values.

Unfortunately, they always jump to the side of the vocal minority.

If someone finds content in Fantasia that is not up to "family values" it gets removed.

If people speak out about being offended by "Song of the South," it gets banned.

Who knows if Walt would agree with that or not. The point is, the folks at Disney seem to side with the notion that he would not agree.

I was there at Disney studios a few years back, with a group of HTF members, when one of their representatives exclaimed, "It's all about Walt and continuing the legacy of what we think he would want."

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Ronald Epstein said:
It's hard for either of us to argue over a dead man's wishes.

I am not saying I am right or wrong...

However, the Disney policies all stem around family values.

Unfortunately, they always jump to the side of the vocal minority.

If someone finds content in Fantasia that is not up to "family values" it gets removed.

If people speak out about being offended by "Song of the South," it gets banned.

Who knows if Walt would agree with that or not. The point is, the folks at Disney seem to side with the notion that he would not agree.

I was there at Disney studios a few years back, with a group of HTF members, when one of their representatives exclaimed, "It's all about Walt and continuing the legacy of what we think he would want."

You're right...nearly impossible (and futile) to speculate. I think in terms of FANTASIA, Walt would probably not allow any changes, as it was very close to his heart. He' has been quoted in the past as stating that he was not making a "cartoon"...this was art. As for "SotS". who knows. But in terms of presentation as an experience, I think Walt would have embraced any format that would allow consumers to experience the work in the best manner possible. Arbitrarily preventing that just doesn't fit with what we do know about him. The current policy instituted by Susan McClain is both anti-consumer and certainly not in-sync with Walt's legacy, at least as we know it. (PBS' "American Masters" has a 4-hour look at Walt's life/career which might be of interest to Disney fans.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think we can both agree that history should not be erased/edited/modified.

That is what Disney has done.

We should learn from those mistakes, move forward, and hope not to repeat them.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
RJ992 said:
(PBS' "American Masters" has a 4-hour look at Walt's life/career which might be of interest to Disney fans.)
After experiencing one brief segment of this program, I was compelled to purchase the production.

Walt Disney Front.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Jesse Skeen said:
I STILL want some straight answers from Disney about this- "Zootopia" is coming out soon in 3D and if that doesn't get a 3D Blu-Ray release I'll start calling their customer service number. I'm not sure if Inside Out actually getting released here was due to it being Pixar or Disney actually got their head out of their ass- When Big Hero 6 didn't come out here, I wrote to Bob Iger and got absolutely NO response. On another forum, someone who owns stock in Disney said they went to a shareholders' meeting and asked about their dropping 3D support- the people there said they "weren't qualified to answer" but passed the question on to someone else, who emailed saying that they were still releasing 3D titles on Vudu- obviously not a straight answer.

Actually, Iger (when asked) did not know that 3D releases had been banned in North America. The person referred to as "qualified" to answer was Susan McClain who came on in 2014 and implemented the 3D ban. (As well as the OZ debacle) So it's not surprising that her e-mail was a "non-answer."

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I await this and A BUG'S LIFE anxiously in 3D. RATATOUILLE is currently available as a perfectly fine 3D Blu in Europe, leaving only BUG'S LIFE and THE INCREDIBLES unreleased among the Pixar titles in that format.
I'm wrong (not unusual here). WALL-E also needs a 3D conversion.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
RJ992 said:
Actually, Iger (when asked) did not know that 3D releases had been banned in North America. The person referred to as "qualified" to answer was Susan McClain who came on in 2014 and implemented the 3D ban. (As well as the OZ debacle) So it's not surprising that her e-mail was a "non-answer."

Thanks RJ992 for finally putting a name to the corporate drone that decided the American public wasn't pulling it's weight in corporate profits to continue American blu-ray 3D releases. This also probably had something to do with a cable or streaming 3D deal as you can rent these unreleased home videos on the DirecTV 3D PPV channel. Ms. McClain is probably a long time 3D hater that when taking on a position with Disney Home Video was looking for a way to improve DHV profits and wanted look like she was doing something aggressive as ALL new executives do, so she made this idiotic decision to halt DHV 3D blu-ray releases in the US. I'm sure this did not create huge profits but made probably made enough of a blip on some profit chart to make her look good and get that bonus. Of course it was a big hit to customer satisfaction to those of us who bought into the Disney 3D hype they had been pushing the last couple of prior years. Luckily for Ms. McClain the backlash from this decision was small, easily ignored and coupled with the DHV policy of not answering questions from mere consumers I'm sure she considered this a great moneymaking executive decision. What it signified to me was that Disney no longer considered customer satisfaction a priority and was another blatant example of a corporate profit first mentality. Rather than experiment with other ways to promote and package blu-ray 3D they just continued to screw the niche audience for these discs with high prices and redundant versions of the same movie in one package and scratch their heads and wonder why sales are down.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Can we tone down the rhetoric about the lack of 3D from Disney? There's no reason to talk about a person (yes, a living, breathing person who is doing a job to put food on her table) as probably a "long time 3D hater" and someone who makes "idiotic" decisions and the niche audience was "ignored."

We are working with a lot of conjecture and supposition when it comes to Disney 3D. Until and unless we get actual information, let's not assume what's going on. We're talking about shiny discs with cartoons on them. We're not talking world peace or ending global hunger.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Jason_V said:
Can we tone down the rhetoric about the lack of 3D from Disney? There's no reason to talk about a person (yes, a living, breathing person who is doing a job to put food on her table) as probably a "long time 3D hater" and someone who makes "idiotic" decisions and the niche audience was "ignored."

We are working with a lot of conjecture and supposition when it comes to Disney 3D. Until and unless we get actual information, let's not assume what's going on. We're talking about shiny discs with cartoons on them. We're not talking world peace or ending global hunger.

If you had been pursuing information and acknowledgment from Disney Home Video for as long as I have about this subject and had been stonewalled and ignored you would be angry to. All it would take is a statement that Disney Home Video no longer supports blu-ray 3D distribution in the United States because (fill in the blank) and that would make many of us unhappy but would but an end to the questions and speculations. I would suggest you read some of the long past forum postings on this subject and consider petitions that have been sent over the past years that have been completely ignored by the Disney corporation. So you must understand there is an unusual level of frustration here on this topic which represents a huge disregard from common customer service from a corporation that USED to pride itself in this regard. Consumers trying to get a straight answer from a CEO at a public forum because the responsible department head refuses to address a consumer complaint/inquiry is not acceptable to me and if the living breathing corporate executive who may be responsible for this lack of communication is responsible than they do not, in my opinion, deserve to hold their position and should seek other employment. DHV has created the need for conjecture and supposition that has gone on far to long. You are right that in the great scheme of things this isn't that important but as a long time Disney fan, consumer and shareholder I expect better customer service when asking a simple question. So as it seem clear we will never get a response from DHV I say let the theories and suppositions continue.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm not going to engage you on this. It's disrespectful and rude to talk the way you're talking. There is no reason to be rude.

I'll let Ron or someone higher up the food chain comment if they see fit.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Jason_V said:
We're talking about shiny discs with cartoons on them.
A ban for director intended theatrical 3D movies in the home are only "shiny discs with cartoons" to you?

Then again, most rudeness serves functional or instrumental purposes in communication, and skillfully choosing when and how to be rude may indicate a person's pragmatic competence. (Wikipedia)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
SFMike said:
Luckily for Ms. McClain the backlash from this decision was small, easily ignored and coupled with the DHV policy of not answering questions from mere consumers I'm sure she considered this a great moneymaking executive decision. What it signified to me was that Disney no longer considered customer satisfaction a priority and was another blatant example of a corporate profit first mentality.
Too big to fail...? They must think so. Disney, after some hard times in the 70's, has become such a massive machine that it seems they can't be touched or even criticized. I say, let's break up the Disney Corporation into smaller components and fire a good portion of the current staff so that perhaps the home entertainment division (and the theme park division and the music division and the...etc.) can be manned by people who actually care about the consumers who are paying their salaries.

Pipe dream over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks