What's new

The (in)sanity of collecting DVDs (1 Viewer)

Ruth_F

Stunt Coordinator
I only buy DVDs for the films that I REALLY like. I don't understand why a person would buy a DVD for a film that they have never even seen.
I do that:

1. Certain films, I'm 99% certain I will enjoy based on reviews or snipes I've seen --- example Sunset Blvd.

2. I am an addicted collector, i.e., books & CDs.

Ruth_F

Stunt Coordinator
Oh and I should have added that I also know that if I don't like it, I can always trade it with a friend or at my favorite Used book store, which offers very good deals on DVDs because they sell as soon as they enter the store.

Ruth

Ruth_F

Stunt Coordinator
Oh and I should have added that I also know that if I don't like it, I can always trade it with a friend or at my favorite Used book store, which offers very good deals on DVDs because they sell as soon as they enter the store.

Ruth

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I have about 1000 DVDs and I'd say that I buy about 80% of them sight unseen. I'm a lot more picky than I used to be, when I would buy any old crap. I read a lot of reviews and if I'm generally interested in a film then I'll get it. Even if I sell it for $10 that's still cheaper than taking 2 to a movie and not buying the DVD.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I did the math, to take myself, and my wife to the theater it is $8 a ticket in Kansas City at a 'good theater' (AMC)

That's evening. Matinee is $6.

at $16 or $12 for getting into the theater, I can get a DVD and then sell it on Half.com if I hate it (rare, but it happens, Being John Malkovich is one of them)

All I have to do is wait for it to come out.

Now however, I still go to the theaters for theater worthy movies such as AOTC, FOTR, TTT, Matrix, etc, but there are a lot of 'eh' type movies that could go either way that I wait to come out on DVD instead.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
*** Resurrection From The HTF Depths Of Obscurity! *** ............
It would appear this DVD "insanity" becomes less of a strain on the ol' pocketbook as time goes by.
For example, a wise shopper can now accumulate a large-sized collection for *much* less than a comparable VHS collection would cost the buyer several years ago, when VHS Tape-buying was as its height (which, from what I read, was in 1996, one year before our current "insanity" saturated our bloodstreams.)
I've been noticing a lot of very good films on DVD for less than $10 (Shipped); and some way below the ten-dollar mark.
Two good R. Polanski examples .... Chinatown and The Tenant.
DVD collecting is far from "insane". In fact, once you've started, it's mandatory that obsession follow in its wake. Kind of a sad state of affairs, I guess, that these disc-shaped items rule the roost, but that's the way it has to be. :)
Now...piling up jewelry that just sits in a box all day long, and maybe gets worn once a month (or year)....Now THAT'S much more insane than our little disc hobby. (Don't you agree??) :) :)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
DVD collecting is far from "insane"...
Actually, DVD collecting has rescued me from "insanity" if anything. It sure beats paying $$$ to a therapist. Would rather have bookcases full of shiny, round discs - each holding hours of entertainment and knowledge.

When I need to escape from life's stresses, I pop in a DVD and treat myself to a brief escape from reality, or a new perspective on life from a filmmaker's point of view.

Some people see a shrink, some people drink.

Me? I'd rather think.

If that's insanity, then I'll be the first one in line for a straightjacket.

John_bri

Grip
If you want to talk about being addicted, I bought The Killer: Criterion Collection for $150.00 on Half.com just for Criterion Collection. I have been buying dvd's since 2000 and I am not slowing down. The weird thing is I'm 18!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
My approach to collecting movies (DVD or VHS), is that the film has to be one that I really, really want to own. In the 5 years I have owned DVD players, I have only bought slightly over 200 DVDs. I already had over 300 VHS titles and rarely duplicate a VHS format movie I already own with a DVD purchase of the same title (there are exceptions though). When I am browsing the DVD sales section of a department store or Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, etc., I buy only those that "jump out" at me. A classic example would be my purchase of "The Evil Dead" at Wal-Mart for $9.44. It is a special edition disc with DTS sound track. My only deviation from this strategy is to get remakes of movies I like. For instance, I have both versions of "The Haunting," "The Time Machine," "Night of the Living Dead," etc. Price is a consideration too. I will absolutely NOT buy a DVD if the price is above $20.00. I will wait 'till it comes down in price or buy it used at Blockbuster or Hollywood Video. This is the reason I NEVER buy movies at Suncoast Motion Picture Company. Way over priced there. I actually bought Lucio Fulci's "Zombie" there for $29.99 and saw it a couple of months later at Wal-Mart for $9.99. That cured me of ever paying over $20.00 for a movie. I guess I am a "discerning" collector. I won't buy movies sight unseen or as an "impulse" buy.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've been into DVDs since May of 1997 (LA was one of the test markets). I am probably approaching, if not already passed, 500 DVDs.

Before, during the Reel.com Coupon Daze, I was buying anything I was remotely interested in: because I could get 3 DVDs shipped for $25. At $8.33 each, I wasn't selective.

Then later I started being picky: only sale items - loss leaders and such. But that was costing me about $14.99 per disc. And economic times are tough. And I'm saving for a condo. So now I'm just buying movies that I think will have rewatchability value (not just once or twice but multiple viewings) and I still buy at loss-leader pricing or wait for the inevitable price drops 6-12 months after the fact. So of my ~500 discs, quite a bit were bought before 2002, and probably only 75 of them in the last two years. I buy about 3-4 titles a month, that's not even close to breaking the bank for me so I'm comfortable with it.

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
I look at it this way .. it's a hobby, albeit an addictive one .. for me, anyway. Everyone has their thing, whether it be going to concerts, having a large family, deciding on a Mercedes instead of a Honda, 300 pairs of shoes .. so on. For me, I'm simple and fairly practical, but with DVD, I go all out, and would do so even more if I could trade-off clothing, food and well, the greater necessities in life. My habit has included 1-2 DVDs per week since '99. Except, I am currently in process of upgrading my foreign and HK collection and plan on about 30 by the end of October. So, my apw (avg per week) rating will skyrocket for the moment.

Anyhow, I purchase both films and DVDs. I own Jacob's Ladder because I enjoy the film, although I've never watched the DVD yet - and still don't have a good answer why. This is my only one. "DVDs", I may consider horrible movies, but greatly mastered or reference disks, period. ie: Pearl Harbor, Star Wars ep 1. There is enough about them that is so enjoyable, that I can easily justify it. Yeah, I can rent it .. but, for what its worth, Blockbuster and the like are making it easier for me to justify spending $10 - 15 on a buy than half the price rental. Simple. If a movie, or a chapter within can be rewatched more than twice, in my entire life time, then I have no problem dropping dime for it.

It may sound like I'm attempting to rejustify my interests, but I'm not. I can't explain it. DVD just truly is the devil reincarnate. It's a passion and a hobby and nothing else.

Regards ...

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
To me, my DVD's are more than just discs with movies on them. (though that is what they are :) ). They are one of my many form's of entertainment/relaxation. In the past couple of weeks, I have come to realize how much I love my DVD's. Well, at least the ones I still own. Unfortunatly, I have broken the rule of "never adding up the cost", but around 220+ DVD's (out of approx 350+) were stolen so I had to figure it out for the insurance company. Going through the list, I have realized that I will probably not be able to replace some of my DVD's (certain Disney Movies come to mind). That of course does not mean I will not try :). I have already gone through a couple of online stores adding all the movies back up..... It is going to be like Christmas all over again.
Man, I am gonna have to re-watch a lot of movies (got to make sure there are no problems with the discs).
Kimo B.

RobD

Second Unit
Ive been collecting DVDs since 1998 and laserdiscs since about 94. Normally wont pay more than £10 for any R2 disc and normally only tempted to blind buy on recommendation at £7 or below. Currently got around 400DVD and 200LD.
The collector in me does cause trouble though, kinda like those Anchor Bay tins and they arent a cheap import, I spend about £8-9($12-14) on average though. I think my record spend was $100ish on the Rock Criterion laserdisc when it was originally released. I frantically collected cheap laserdiscs when they were "Going Out", used to buy batches of 20 off ebay and found alot of good blind buys this way including Boxing Helena and The Beyond. I do have some sanity to my buying though, never double dip unless an LD is rotting and never buy a film I know is bad regardless hence no Pearl Harbour here :D

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
While my collection is small by HTF standards, it is bigger than anyone else I personally know. I just passed the 200 mark today and I've had a DVD player since October of 2000. So, it took me exactly three years to get to 200 films (not counting TV shows). Ironically enough, my first DVD was The Matrix, and my 200th was The Matrix Reloaded. For me, film is the ultimate artform. DVD is the best format currently for collecting films. I think the quality of DVD is good enough that 15 or 20 years from now, I will still be happy with the transfers and sound on most of these. I am building what I like to think of as the ultimate movie library.

For me a lot of the joy of collecting DVDs, besides the obvious enjoyment of the films, is being able to expose my friends and family to movies they may have never considered watching.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Well, not only do I have the addiction of buying DVDs, I am a car nut and have both a highly modified 1998 Trans Am that I have sunk over $8000 in performance parts in the last year, plus another daily driver that I am always reading up on the internet about. I am restoring an old 1980 Honda CB650 motorcycle, so that consumes some time and money. I have two snakes with large cages that I am always adding things to. I work with computers, so I always like to get the latest and greatest toys. I love underground metal music, so I have a collection of well over 700 CDs that I order from overseas. I also recently got into karaoke deejaying, so I bought a new CDG player and a new sound system to bring to parties.
I have a lot of addictions! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks