What's new

The iMac and Mac Pro anticipation thread! (likely summer 2011) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
First of all, for those who were eagerly awaiting the MBP refresh: you're welcome.

I knew that if I purchased a new MBP that the refresh would happen in the near future. In late December 2010 my workplace purchased the high-end 15" MBP option. At least I didn't pay for it, which makes the refresh less painful.

This is more Lion related than hardware related but there is a rumor that Front Row is going away. I'd really like to see Apple create a front-end to iTunes that lets you take full advantage of iTunes' capabilities (album art, genius playlists, full navigation) so those of us who have an extra Mac laptop or mini can use it as an HTPC/media/music server. A full functioned remote, or an app for an iPhone that simulates a full function remote (with ability to fully control iTunes and of its functionality) would be a double-bonus.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thumbs up to all of the above, and truly, Thank You Carlo for taking one for the team! Your sacrifice was well worth it for the rest of us!

Thunderbolt may very well be the reason my next desktop Mac is an iMac and not a Mac Pro. The iMac gives me all the power I need processor and graphics-wise, I just could not survive with the meager internal drive options that the current generation and older are saddled with, and did not relish the thought of trying to make Firewire and USB work for my photography needs. I've currently got 5 gigs internally and only go to USB for backups now. With Thunderbolt I could buy the biggest SSD I could afford for the OS and Apps and then easily rely on externals for all of my photo storage and backups. Let's hope that the devices to support it come sooner than later.

And count me in for hoping that BluRay support is one of the secrets left yet to be unveiled but being with you on not believing that it will happen. I'll survive without it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
One fear I have is that Lion may break compatibility with Pro Tools, and if it does, it always takes PT several months to issue a new version. If Apple debuts the new hardware alongside the new software then it will come preloaded with Lion, and I'm not sure if I can partition the HD to install Snow Leopard. I recall some rumors that new Macs can only run the latest version of OSX available at the time of their release. This would be the worst possible outcome since, in the time it would take Avid to patch Pro Tools, it would likely be close to 4Q 2011 which would then make the quad-channel DDR3-1600 support really appealing to wait for. Being a heavy Pro Tools, Logic, Photoshop and Lightroom user, faster RAM and BUS is always desirable and often the limiting factor.

It's a vicious cycle, I tell ya!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
A number of my coworkers quit using Pro Tools and are now 100% on Logic due to the lag PT always had with support, both OS and otherwise. I can't carry a tune so no personal experience here...

It sounds like we will see MAJOR revisions of Logic, Final cut and Aperture only after Lion comes about.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Just saw a story over on Anandtech, Intel announced new Xeon processors the other day. Just another necessary piece of the puzzle for a Mac Pro update. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4259/westmereex-intels-flagship-improves

-KeithP

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sam - don't go getting me excited with your speculation!

Those new processors are spec'd out rather nice! My agonizing desktop purchasing decision continues, because with Apple stating that WWDC will be all about software and no hardware announcements, this makes me speculate that next year is going to be their revolutionary laptop/desktop upgrade. Apple's recent history has been similar to a car maker, where there are new models every year, but every 4-5 years sees a major redesign. I think the Unibody turns 4 next year, so I expect a major change then. Maybe the combining of the MBP and Air traits - make the Pro slimmer, lighter, SSD only but still larger than the Air, and keep the 15" and 17" screen size. Maybe a Macbook Air Pro? I suppose the "cheese grater" (aka the Mac Pro) would probably not see much exterior revision (having stayed consistent ever since the move to Intel) so I guess it's safe to purchase the next rev. iMac I think may also be due for a redesign next year, although the 21.5"/27" form factors have only been out for two generations, I think?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Start saving for May:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/04/20/apple_restricts_employee_time_off_in_may_as_retails_10th_anniversary_approaches.html

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Damn and I just bought an Oppo 93. I'm very intrigued by the rumors of a slimmer form factor for the Mac Pro. Also intrigued by the Macbook Air update rumors as well. Funny to say it, but my 15" MBP is kind of a bear to drag around (I walk 1.5 miles each way to work every day) and a lighter machine would make a sizable difference to me.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Color me jealous with your SSD Kevin! I can only afford to maybe buy a 120GB SSD but my storage needs far eclipse that, and I don't want to carry around a separate external :( I'm hoping the new MBA won't be too cost prohibitive with a 256GB SSD and I might spring for that.

But if they significantly up the ante with either the iMac or the Mac Pro refresh (hopefully over the summer) then I'll upgrade my desktop first.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Looks like more rumor sites are jumping on the bandwagon regarding a May date for iMac refresh. My biggest boggle will be to get this, or wait for a Mac Pro refresh (which are updated much less frequently and follows a more random refresh cycle) or wait and see what the Air refresh looks like.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Apple Announces New iMac With Next Generation Quad-Core Processors, Graphics & Thunderbolt I/O Technology

CUPERTINO, California-May 3, 2011-Apple® today updated its signature all-in-one iMac® with next generation quad-core processors, powerful new graphics, groundbreaking high-speed Thunderbolt I/O technology and a new FaceTime® HD camera. Starting at $1,199, the new iMac is up to 70 percent faster and new graphics deliver up to three times the performance of the previous generation.*

"Our customers love the iMac's aluminum enclosure, gorgeous display and all-in-one design," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With next generation quad-core processors, powerful new graphics, Thunderbolt technology and a FaceTime HD camera, we've made the world's best desktop even better."

The new iMac features quad-core Intel Core i5 processors with an option for customers to choose Core i7 processors up to 3.4 GHz. These next generation processors feature an integrated memory controller for an amazingly responsive experience and a powerful new media engine for high-performance video encoding and decoding. With new AMD Radeon HD graphics processors, the new iMac has the most powerful graphics ever in an all-in-one desktop.

iMac is the first desktop computer on the market to include groundbreaking Thunderbolt I/O technology. The 21.5-inch iMac has a single Thunderbolt port while the 27-inch model features two ports for even greater expansion. Developed by Intel with collaboration from Apple, Thunderbolt enables expandability never before possible on an all-in-one computer. Featuring two bi-directional channels with transfer speeds up to an amazing 10Gbps each, Thunderbolt delivers PCI Express directly to external high performance peripherals such as RAID arrays, and can support FireWire® and USB consumer devices, and Gigabit Ethernet networks via adapters. Thunderbolt also supports DisplayPort for high resolution displays and works with existing adapters for HDMI, DVI and VGA displays. Freely available for implementation on systems, cables and devices, Thunderbolt technology is expected to be widely adopted as a new standard for high performance I/O.

iMac includes a built-in FaceTime HD camera and Apple's innovative FaceTime software for crisp, widescreen video calling the whole family can enjoy. The new camera supports high definition video calls between all FaceTime HD-enabled Macs and standard resolution calls with iPad® 2, iPhone® 4, the current generation iPod touch® and other Intel-based Macs. The iMac continues to feature its signature aluminum and glass design, gorgeous IPS LED-backlit high resolution display, SD card slot and comes with Apple's innovative Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad.

Continuing Apple's commitment to the environment, Apple's desktop line is a leader in green design. The iMac meets stringent Energy Star 5.2 requirements and achieves EPEAT Gold rating.** iMac features LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. iMac uses PVC-free components and cables, contains no brominated flame retardants, uses highly recyclable materials and features material-efficient system and packaging designs.

Every Mac comes with Mac OS® X Snow Leopard®, the world's most advanced operating system, and iLife®, Apple's innovative suite of applications for creating and sharing great photos, movies and music. Snow Leopard builds on more than a decade of innovation and includes the Mac App Store℠ for finding great new apps for your Mac. iLife '11 features iPhoto® with stunning full screen views for browsing, editing and sharing photos; iMovie® with powerful easy-to-use tools to transform home videos into fun theatrical trailers; and GarageBand® with new ways to improve your playing and create great sounding songs.

Pricing & Availability
The new iMac is available through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The 21.5-inch iMac is available in two configurations: one with a 2.5 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6750M and 500GB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $1,199 (US); and one with a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6770M and 1TB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US). The new 27-inch iMac is available in two models: one with a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6770M and 1TB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $1,699 (US); and one with a 3.1 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, AMD Radeon HD 6970M and 1TB hard drive for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US).

Configure-to-order options include faster Intel Core i7 processors up to 3.4 GHz, additional hard drive capacity up to 2TB, a 256GB solid state drive, additional DDR3 memory and AppleCare® Protection Plan. Additional technical specifications and configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at www.apple.com/imac.

*Testing conducted by Apple in April 2011 using preproduction iMac configurations. For more information visit www.apple.com/imac/features.html.

**Claim based on energy efficiency categories and products listed within the EPA ENERGY STAR 5.2 energy database as of April 2011. EPEAT is an independent organization that helps customers compare the environmental performance of notebooks and desktops. Products meeting all of the 23 required criteria and at least 75 percent of the optional criteria are recognized as EPEAT Gold products. The EPEAT program was conceived by the US EPA and is based on IEEE 1680 standard for Environmental Assessment of Personal Computer Products. For more information visit www.epeat.net.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced iPad 2 which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
My complaint about the iMac is the same as it has always been.. I recognize it's style, but the USB ports (and now Thunderbolt, etc.) are in the most inconvenient place possible. Most people will have their PC setup on a desk that faces a wall. Which means to get at any of these ports you're reaching behind the dang thing to plug anything in. I understand it has "always been this way" and it's pretty, but darn I wish Apple would go back and put them at least on the bottom of the unit or on the side so you weren't reaching behind the thing to plug/unplug little devices.. as it is, I don't know anyone with a last generation iMac who isn't using a USB hub because of this issue.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not gonna change. Be reasonable and do it Apple's way and get a hub. Or preferably a Thunderbolt to USB hub, you know, when those actually start shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks