What's new

3D Blu-ray Review THE HTF 3D ADDICT: Despicable Me in 3D (1 Viewer)

3DME

Auditioning
Real Name
LAURA JONES
What a mess. The 3D on this video is the worst of any we have had. Worth noting, its specific to certain objects within any scene - the first logo as an example, the pyramids too. We have about 10 dvds and this is the only one with problems. We have a Panasonic Blue Ray and a Mitsubishi 73" DLP.

The worst part is the spotty nature - scenes are fine the suddenly there is an image within the scene which is horrible, while the ones surrounding it are still fine. Its really distracting and ruins the film. Watching in 2D now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Laura,

Welcome to the forum.

I would bet anything there is something wrong

with your 3D setup.

You are the very first person that has come out

and said that Despicable Me looks subpar.

Really, I would not only check your setup but

look at other 3D titles as well to make certain the

problem does not exist across the board.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen

Since most of us don't have the luxury of getting free screener copies, I hope someone at HTF will actually spend some money to review as many 3D titles as are out there. Not to sound snarky, but it seems to me a "3D Addict" or other staff members at a site like this should encompass the entire spectrum of the format's software, not just whatever samples are offered by the studios.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Point Blank,

I have reviewed no less than 20 3D titles that encompass

a wide variety of genres over the past month.

20 titles

In addition, I anticipate reviewing AVATAR in 3D by week's end.

It's difficult to review every title that's available at the moment

and it's inevitable that I am going to miss someone's favorite.
Despite that, I think I have done a pretty decent amount of

coverage on what is currently available on the market right now.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen

As long as you follow the lead of a review site like DVD DRIVE-IN and cover titles beyond those that the studios supply you for free, thereby providing as comprehensive a service as you can. I have come to rely on and expect no less from HTF. There are plenty of information/review sites out there which limit their alleged "coverage" to nothing more than parroting press kits so as not to disrupt their flow of freebies. So keep up the good work and never lose sight that this is often an expensive hobby for many of us and we need solid, objective information to help enlighten us as much as possible.

3DME

Auditioning
Real Name
LAURA JONES
Hello Ronald,

'Thanks for the reply. I noticed one above with similar problems.

We went back and looked at the other titles we have using the same set up - they only one with issues remains Despicable Me. How to Train Your Dragon, Polar Express, Monsters vs Aliens, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Clash of the Titans, all play with no similar issues. What bothers me is that one movie may require tuning where all others do not.

We played the movie though three times now - same issues in each place. If we change settings, it makes problems with the other movies. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Laura,

Don't have an answer. Saw John's post above. Whatever issue

he had was cleared up in subsequent viewings. There are other

posts that show no problems with the disc.

I'm not doubting what you are seeing is real but I'm wondering

if there's hardware incompatibility at work here. Could it be the

player? The display?

If you suspect the disc is the culprit you could simply return

it for another. I can only tell you that from first-hand viewing

and the few positive posts in this thread the disc should not

be defective.

Please keep us updated on what you do here. I am very

curious to see if you are able to solve this problem.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Wait a minute, adapter box?

NOw I'm sure my 4 year old MIts wd 73831 missed being adaptable by 1 year so how do I check on this?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Looks like I'm out of luck.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/accessories/3DA1

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched my first-ever 3D movie with active shutter glasses at home tonight, and it was the delightful Despicable Me. The film was full of fun and heart, and the 3D was a constant source of amazement.

What a terrific way to inaugurate my new 3D plasma set!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I didn't watch the whole disc, but have been using it to test 3D on my new TV and to show it off to others and the disc looks great. Everyone seems really impressed with the quality of the 3D compared to the theater 3D.

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Walker
it's too easy to see one or two bad 3d blu's and begin to despair of the whole genre and technology..

last night I sat through one of the dullest IMAX docs ever - I mean, how do you make dinosaurs dull? (stupid 3d tech..maybe I should go out and buy a hamster instead..)

This evening? A really pleasant underwater IMAX, nicely 3d photographed - nothing overly beautiful, just an absorbing 40 minutes, lulled into aborbing some sad eco-message in my prone, semi-hypnotic state.. mmm maybe IMAX docs can still be fun, after all.. (well, maybe not IMAX dino pics with zero "money shots".. grrr :-( )

And following on from a this, Despicable Me, purchased mainly due to excellent reviews on various forums.

Very absurd, very straight to the point plot wise, and very charming. The 3d is achieved with a lot of verve, but without stealing the show - it all serves the plot with a satisfying solidity, rendering a lot of the gags that much the funnier. It is definitely one of the better 3d CGI movies out there, though I'd rate something like Tangled or Pixar as a more sophisticated use of the medium, Despicable has all the barnstorming vitality of a new kid on the block - a Universal CGI movie - establishing its own house style.

Curiously D.E. works well because of what isn't there as much as what is. Means the audience will work to fill in the narrative gaps, or not be at all bothered.

Very rewatchable, and worthy of a sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks