What's new

THE HONEYMOONERS (Classic 39) will be on Blu-ray on October 15th 2013 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A $75.59 pre-order at Amazon (a 30% discount based on a $107.99 MSRP apparently).

I'm a wholly casual fan of The Honeymooners. While I more than understand the show's importance in the history of broadcast television, I am not a true fanatic of the show and don't feel the need to rush to own it. In fact, I have owned no episodes of The Honeymooners despite the various releases over the years.

How do fans feel about a $75 price point?

I'm sure there will be sales...

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
A $75.59 pre-order at Amazon (a 30% discount based on a $107.99 MSRP apparently).

I'm a wholly casual fan of The Honeymooners. While I more than understand the show's importance in the history of broadcast television, I am not a true fanatic of the show and don't feel the need to rush to own it. In fact, I have owned no episodes of The Honeymooners despite the various releases over the years.

Honestly? I don't think I paid too much more than 75 bucks for the huge 15 disc MPI Lost Episodes collection.

One day, when this set is down to 30 or 40 bucks, it'll be a sure buy. But 75 bucks? I don't think I'm even paying 75 bucks for TNG on blu.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I got THE HONEYMOONERS Classic 39 set on DVD a few years ago, and have yet to watch more than a handful of episodes. Of course I still find them hysterically funny, no matter how many times I've seen them, but I've rarely felt the need to intentionally watch the episodes on DVD.

For the record, I don't find the DVD's all that objectionable to watch. The shows are ancient, and they should look a little gnarly, IMHO. Oddly, just the other day, I dug out a random HONEYMOONERS episode on DVD, just to see what it looked like on my new flat panel TV. And for the most part, it looked a bit grainy at 60", but I suspect Blu-ray will only enhance the grain.

The episode I chose was "The $99,000 Answer" and since a big part of the episode is supposed to take place on live TV, I used the Soap Opera Effect on max to make it look like live TV. The actual apartment scenes looked OK at that setting too, as many of the latter-day HONEYMOONERS were on videotape. It didn't look strange at all. Another good use for the SOE...

Harry

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Mind you when these originally aired in the 50s they would have had a video look to them (being live broadcasts and all).

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Lord Dalek said:
Mind you when these originally aired in the 50s they would have had a video look to them (being live broadcasts and all).
Oh, for sure. But we've all gotten used to 50-odd years of the "Electronicam" film version, that it long surpasses any memory anyone might have of the original '50s broadcasts.

But yes, since these were performed live on stage, the SOE resurrects a bit of that feel.

Harry

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That cover "art" not only conveys nothing of the spirit of the show -- as the "moon" graphic absolutely always did -- but I believe it stands an excellent chance of taking the Blue Ribbon in the contest for Most Weirdly Cropped and Composed Head Shot in the History of the Known Universe.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:
...I believe it stands an excellent chance of taking the Blue Ribbon in the contest for Most Weirdly Cropped and Composed Head Shot in the History of the Known Universe.
statefair-06-lg.jpg

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Lord Dalek said:

The Lost Episodes were done live. The Classic 39 were filmed before a studio audience, Tuesday and Thursday nights I believe, then aired on Saturday nights. When the Classic 39 originally aired, wouldn't it look like film?

The Classic 39 were done live, straight through on film, making edits for time particularly jarring and noticeable. I used to think they were syndication cuts. It's too bad those edits done for time were thrown away; I would love to have seen the "deleted footage" or have it worked back into the show.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Mike Frezon said:

The MSRP has jumped to $130 and the pre-order price, which was $90 earlier today is now at $115. Costco or Sam's might stock this for the $75 that Amazon originally had this at, but the $115 is going to scare many consumers away. I'll wait for discounts. I don't think I paid more than $50 for any of the 4 BD TZ season sets I own.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeymooners-Classic-39-Episodes/dp/B00E5G03BQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1374974382&sr=1-1&keywords=honeymooners

(please use Ron's link to support HTF if you order this :) )

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I am sure the price will be more around the $50 something point when release date approaches. That is when they start to adjust to other places sale information. Such was the case with the Star Trek The Next Generation blu ray sets. Big Honeymooners fan, can't wait for these.
Harry-N said:
I got THE HONEYMOONERS Classic 39 set on DVD a few years ago, and have yet to watch more than a handful of episodes. Of course I still find them hysterically funny, no matter how many times I've seen them, but I've rarely felt the need to intentionally watch the episodes on DVD. For the record, I don't find the DVD's all that objectionable to watch. The shows are ancient, and they should look a little gnarly, IMHO. Oddly, just the other day, I dug out a random HONEYMOONERS episode on DVD, just to see what it looked like on my new flat panel TV. And for the most part, it looked a bit grainy at 60", but I suspect Blu-ray will only enhance the grain. The episode I chose was "The $99,000 Answer" and since a big part of the episode is supposed to take place on live TV, I used the Soap Opera Effect on max to make it look like live TV. The actual apartment scenes looked OK at that setting too, as many of the latter-day HONEYMOONERS were on videotape. It didn't look strange at all. Another good use for the SOE... Harry

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
My favorite TV show(along with BATMAN). I want to buy this set, but at this price, I hope there's a ton of extra material. The DVD's aren't really all that bad, except for a couple of episodes.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
UPDATE: According to TVSHOWSONDVD.COM, "The Honeymooners: Classic 39", "I Love Lucy: Season One Ultimate Edition" and "The Andy Griffith: Season One" Blu-rays have been delayed (by about a month) to May 6, 2014. Just a guess, but maybe CBS is changing it's pricing strategy on these blu ray versions!!! Let's hope they are cheaper than what is being listed on Amazon right now!!!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
They will be cheaper shortly. $130 MSRP's marked down to $75 for season releases have no viability in today's marketplace. Once they've milked the most diehard fans during the opening few weeks on the market, the prices will surely be slashed to normal levels.

They're selling to normal people here, not Star Trek fans. You will no doubt be able to locate these things for $40 with ease at places like Amazon by summer.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I really wish that they would release "I Love Lucy" in a Complete Series set sooner rather than later. I wish they would've done what they did with TZ and DVD on blu-ray and released the complete set before the individual seasons. I guess I will wait a while on Lucy to see what they are going to do. I have "Honeymooners" pre-ordered and I have no interest in TAGS right now because I just bought the entire series on dvd last year.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
It would be nice to see them release a DVD version of this new set, containing the all-new HD transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks